Randy Rhoads Tribute Solo at the Correct Pitch....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Randy Rhoads Tribute Solo at the Correct Pitch....

Post by mojopin70 »

I think this has been mentioned somewhere , Randy`s solo on the Tribute album was speeded up slightly , the give away is when he goes back into the Suicide Solution riff it sounds " out of tune" its not i think the solo was speeded up half step and i think the general opinion was to give it a bit more zip and class on the Tribute Album...

Here it is at the correct pitch, for some it might not even be obvious......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4pZpNOp ... 81-eVEO1SQ
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads Tribute Solo at the Correct Pitch....

Post by hansolo »

When I heard Laughing Gas on QR RR years, it made me think of Tribute. Also Heartbreaker/LZ had the same issue because they recorded the song in and out without the solo. Page's guitar is sharp or flat in the solo section.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

hansolo wrote:When I heard Laughing Gas on QR RR years, it made me think of Tribute. Also Heartbreaker/LZ had the same issue because they recorded the song in and out without the solo. Page's guitar is sharp or flat in the solo section.
What do you reckon they did solo? Max N, took just the solo and raised the pitch/speed do you think that was under SHarons orders? i wonder who said " lets speed it up a bit" it might have been Max himself as a suggestion....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It could also be the equipment it was recorded on and I've heard the solo was from a different show at which point the guitar could simply have been tuned a bit sharp.

Remember, Diary songs in Eb are only in Eb because the tuner wasn't calibrated properly. It wasn't by design in any way.

I find the Laughing Gas solo on QR: The RR Years to be the worst version I've heard, simply because Kevin spliced 2 different solos together and did a poor job at that.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Remember, Diary songs in Eb are only in Eb because the tuner wasn't calibrated properly. It wasn't by design in any way.
Not according to Bob Daisley. He says they tuned down a semitone to give it a heavier tone and to make it easier for Ozzy to sing.

I'd be surprised if the tuner happened to be exactly a semitone "out of tune". Most professional musicians are blessed with perfect pitch, I bet Max or someone in the band would've heard the difference in pitch.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

I'm not even a gifted musician and I can tell when I'm a half-step down. I'm slightly positive I read on here once that one of the tuners was in fact calibrated incorrectly, however it gave a slightly, and I mean faintly, sharper reading from Eb.

But yes, the Diary songs that are in the tuning of Eb would have been done so by design. There's no way professional musicians like Bob, Lee and Randy would ever have made a mistake like that and never have noticed!

I just also want to point out the difference between pitch and speed just so we don't get confused here. Pitch is the frequency of the sound where as speed is the timing. Naturally by speeding up a song, an example being on a record player, the pitch too will go up (chipmunks come to mind here). On the Tribute album, as has been pointed out by Paul, the solo from Cleveland was simply spliced in with the rest of the show and I think Randy's guitar was slightly out of tune on either or both of the recordings. It has been stated that he did have trouble keeping his Polka Dot V in tune. What the person on youtube has done is a process called 'Pitch Shifting' where he/she has changed the pitch but not the speed, to match with the rest of the recording. I hope that helps and clears some things up.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

yeah but you know you can rease the speed of a recording without altering the pitch...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Isodee wrote: Most professional musicians are blessed with perfect pitch,
They are? Not even Steve Vai admits to perfect pitch.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

mojopin70 wrote:I think this has been mentioned somewhere , Randy`s solo on the Tribute album was speeded up slightly , the give away is when he goes back into the Suicide Solution riff it sounds " out of tune" its not i think the solo was speeded up half step and i think the general opinion was to give it a bit more zip and class on the Tribute Album...

Here it is at the correct pitch, for some it might not even be obvious......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4pZpNOp ... 81-eVEO1SQ
As I recall they sped it up because they liked how it sounded because they used a different solo from the album were Tribute came from. So when the sped up the solo the tone was very similar to that of the Cleveland show. The solo came from the King Biscuit Flower Hour show on 7-31-81. Some shows claim it s 7-30-81 so I am not sure what the real date is.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

dannyahansen wrote:
Isodee wrote: Most professional musicians are blessed with perfect pitch,
They are? Not even Steve Vai admits to perfect pitch.
There's a surprise. :lol:

Of course not every musician or composer need to have a perfect pitch. Hearing a difference between two notes is a good start. :lol:
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Perfect Pitch isn't that common.
Relative Pitch is.

A professional musician (Me included - Orchestral player not pro guitar player!) will have relative pitch, which means that they can instantly recognise when something is not "In Pitch" and will make the adjustments immediately needed to rectify it.

For example:-

Perfect Pitch :-

If someone played a couple of notes on an instrument , you could name the actual notes and know immediately if they were slap bang in tune.

Relative Pitch :-

If someone played a couple of notes on an instrument , you would know immediately if they were in tune or note, make the adjustments and be virtually accurate on naming them.

Hope this helps!

Richard
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

There are musicians that can name pitch. These tapes were recorded on a machine that can come out of calibration. I know Max said he had different sounding versions of the same show. It could be any of these things.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Isodee wrote:I'd be surprised if the tuner happened to be exactly a semitone "out of tune". Most professional musicians are blessed with perfect pitch, I bet Max or someone in the band would've heard the difference in pitch.
No, most don't have perfect pitch. When you've played long enough you can identify certain notes and their relativity to others. For example, I suck at learning songs "by ear" but when I changes strings I can tune up the 6th string to E and then tune the guitar to that within a cent or two of perfect when double-checked with a tuner.

Regardless of what Bob says, Randy said the tuner was mis-calibrated and they decided they liked the sound that way so they left it. Nobody tunes down a half step "to sound heavier," they do it so the singer can hit the notes easier. To sound "heavier" you tune down a whole step or a step and a half lie Sabbath did.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Isodee wrote:Most professional musicians are blessed with perfect pitch, I bet Max or someone in the band would've heard the difference in pitch.
No, most don't have perfect pitch.
May I correct myself? Many musicians have perfect pitch and most of them have relative pitch. I bet Max or someone in the band would've heard the difference.

Better?
Paul Wolfe wrote:Regardless of what Bob says, Randy said the tuner was mis-calibrated and they decided they liked the sound that way so they left it.
Randy said? I bet you read this comment 30 years ago in some magazine in which some journalist misquoted Randy or even made this story up himself. Why not believe Ozzy's theory of composing BATM with one finger? Hell, that story was even on video!
Paul Wolfe wrote:Nobody tunes down a half step "to sound heavier," they do it so the singer can hit the notes easier. To sound "heavier" you tune down a whole step or a step and a half lie Sabbath did.

Nobody? You callin' Bob a nobody? Take it outside boys!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Well, Isodee, since you are the foremost expert, I'll take your word for it on the tuning issue.

And I'd say some musicians in history have had "perfect pitch" and that some musicians of the last 5o years have had good relative pitch. Most just play what they feel sounds good... they noodle until something sounds "right".