Interview with Bob Daisley

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dougalhaven

Interview with Bob Daisley

Post by dougalhaven »

I hope that this link works as I thought that it was an interesting interview. Over the years of listening to various "Ozzy" songs it always struck me as somewhat paradoxical for someone seemingly brain damaged (Ozzy) to use words like "polemic" in songs. The lyrics in various Ozzy songs seemed too deep and far too intelligent for someone like Ozzy to have written. Just my opinion of course, but Ozzy always struck me as being kind of "simple" and reportedly, even requires the use of a teleprompter. I'm not trying to bash Ozzy here, he's probably a very nice guy; but he's certainly been given far too much credit over the years.

Ozzy's true talent appears to be in assembling very talented musicians. Anyway, here is the interview:

http://www.bobdaisley.com/interview/website

david
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: Interview with Bob Daisley

Post by randy will never die »

We all think ozzy gets 2 much credit
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

dougalhaven wrote:even requires the use of a teleprompter
funny so does barrack obama :wink:

its been said a million times before without any one of the 4 guys on BOO/DOAM they wouldn't have been the same albums....

without ozzy I doubt I would have ever got to know of a guy named randy rhoads
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

It's pretty well known around here that Bob Daisley wrote most of the lyrics, with Ozzy occasionally providing a line or two. Besides that, Ozzy came up with most of the vocal melodies.

As far as lyrics go though, you can easily tell that the lyrical complexity has changed over the years. You look back to his first few albums and there are some great lyrics, whereas you look at his past few albums and (This is my opinion, mind you) the lyrics are generally very simple and forgettable.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

It's the same story as when he was in Sabbath. Everyone knows Geezer came up with the lyrics and Ozzy threw in a line or two. Although he is often credited with coming up with most of the Vocal melodies when he was in both Sabbath and Blizzard, so he does have a knack for flowing with the songs and making them work. However I agree, he often gets a bit too much credit, particularly with actual lyrics. I cringe every time I see that he gets sole credit for BATM. "Fuck Ozzy, how did you come up with the Bark At The Moon riff??!!"
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

You know what, I was actually thinking about this very subject while listening to DOAM and BOO- I know that a lot of the lyrics are credited to Bob (and deservedly so!) however IMHO I can't help but suspect that Randy had more influence in direction than originally thought. I think that both BOO and DOAM both have a certain vibe that Ozzy wasn't able to recapture following Randy's death, but he still continued to work with Bob on future albums (which may have something to do with Lee, too- hence the "magic" the 4 of them had). Just my opinion, I think that Randy influenced the direction of the material (so called "darker" stuff, KG often talked about Randy enjoying Alice Cooper, etc).

I think that Randy may have brought some of the unexpected and taboo subjects into his love of classical music on those 2 albums. I mean, Ozzy obviously was notorious for twisted songs/subjects- but it seems to me that BOO and DOAM most certainly stand out in his catalog and carry influence to this day for many. I can't help but wonder why that is. . . .

Just my .02, for what it's worth.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

In my opinion, Randy definitely brought a "mood" to the music, but I seriously doubt he had much actual input on lyrics. If he had had some input on lyrics, I'm sure Bob would have given him credit in interviews.

And while it wasn't really that long after Randy's death, the times had changed a bit too. That, and Jake brought a different sound and style to the group.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

RRFan4Ever wrote:You know what, I was actually thinking about this very subject while listening to DOAM and BOO- I know that a lot of the lyrics are credited to Bob (and deservedly so!) however IMHO I can't help but suspect that Randy had more influence in direction than originally thought. I think that both BOO and DOAM both have a certain vibe that Ozzy wasn't able to recapture following Randy's death, but he still continued to work with Bob on future albums (which may have something to do with Lee, too- hence the "magic" the 4 of them had). Just my opinion, I think that Randy influenced the direction of the material (so called "darker" stuff, KG often talked about Randy enjoying Alice Cooper, etc).

I think that Randy may have brought some of the unexpected and taboo subjects into his love of classical music on those 2 albums. I mean, Ozzy obviously was notorious for twisted songs/subjects- but it seems to me that BOO and DOAM most certainly stand out in his catalog and carry influence to this day for many. I can't help but wonder why that is. . . .

Just my .02, for what it's worth.
Agreed. I think this is a very apt appraisal of Randy's work with Ozzy on those albums. Some great guitar work, but definitely some "mood"'added in there.