Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads' Book Author Discusses Unreleased Footage O

Post by sytharnia »

Gus wrote:
stress2stress2 wrote:OK gents (especially Matt),

Is this the snazzy classical guitar Randy purchased?

We've seen some shots of him from the back practicing on it in El Paso TX Feb '82, but this is the only front shot I have seen. Am I wrong?

Do we know any details about this instrument?
Don't know anything about the instrument, but the photo is a special one, taken in Knoxville the day before the tragedy. Randy did a classical performance for Don Airey, Rachel and Little John, according to the Velocity book.
if that is one of the photos from knoxville then yes that is the very expensive guitar randy had (didn't he have it made for him??)
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Well, then Bobs tapes have to be studio quality if I choose them or the black and white footage is always on Randy and shows his fretting hand up close. Beggar's can't be choosy... We'll take what we can get. I appreciate the Albuquerque footage! Of course I wish they showed Randy more but that isn't how it happened. Could I have some more, please?
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

fortress wrote:
Randy Rhoads Society: We have heard there is a pro-shot Randy show from New Jersey at the Capitol Theatre. Who owns this footage and do you think it will ever be released? If not, why?

Andrew Klein: I don't know who owns it now. I spoke with a guy named John Scher. He was the owner of the Capitol Theatre. He confirmed that every show performed there from 1973-1984 was shot by the inhouse crew. Three cameras in black and white. The last time we spoke, he was preparing his film library for a big sale to either a distribution company or a collector. He wasn't specific. He vaguely remembered the circumstances surrounding the events of the day when Ozzy and Randy were there. He said, "I either filmed it and gave it to Sharon, or we have it put away somewhere — I just don't remember." My thought was, if he had the tapes, and was preparing his library for a sale, he certainly wasn't going to part with them. He would want to maintain exclusivity, which I can understand and respect. They are his and he can do what he wants with them. I feel that if he had given them to Sharon, they would have been released by now. In a letter sent to Jodi the day after the Capitol Theatre show, Randy stated that it was a great show and he was excited that it was filmed. He went into details about the filming and said everyone in the band was aware of the cameras and everyone knew they were being filmed. Randy also said, "Because we were being filmed, I decided to wear the new vest you made for me with the zippers." Many people may not know this, but Jodi made all of Randy's stage clothes for him.
I was 5th row for the Capitol Theatre show. Randy blazed the whole night, I would love for that footage to see the light of day. Hope John Scher has the footage, it would be amazing to see that show again.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

It would be great to have more stuff.