Bobs book??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Re: Bobs book??

Post by Geo Sav »

Yes I do. But More people don't than do! You got that right. Randy is more known than some think. I still stick with my theory go look at proces for a KISS, Aerosmith, Beatles even ozzy poster not framed see how much you can get one for then look up Randy. Let me know the price difference. I looked I bought one. I told you the cheapest price I found.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

TREX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Stiltzkin wrote:It's true Randy isn't as known as Hendrix, not by a longshot :!: so comparing Randy with Hendrix wouldn't be the best example :shock: 8)

anyhoo, let's take another, semi-obscure guitarist up for Randy Rhoads comparison.

Does anybody here have a clue who Tommy Bolin is?
Yeah, Rhoads ain't Hendrix. Other estates could include Mercury, Lennon, Morrison or Cobain- despite the fact that Randy's tenure in the public eye isn't comparable to the above artists- Randy still has an intense following, which speaks for itself. And that following has kept the flame going all these years. 19 songs recorded in 9 or so months 30+ years ago isn't much when I think about all the years that fans have been eulogizing him and turning younger generations into fans too.

Tommy Bolin, Zephyr (sp?) I don't know how much Randy would compare with him, does he have a book coming out or something?
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Tito wrote:TREX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marc Bolan/TRex- introduced Bowie and Elton John to the public, I believe:) I still love listening to Jeepster or Planet Queen, and normally I get irked by popular singles- but Bang a Gong still rocks IMO.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I got a great bootleg of Tommy Bolin. Good stuff!
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

latest news from Bob : "i'm in the home stretch with editing....so look for news soon on the book!"
Last edited by halo8th on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Awesome! Was that on his web site?
chief

Post by chief »

Stiltzkin wrote:It's true Randy isn't as known as Hendrix, not by a longshot :!: so comparing Randy with Hendrix wouldn't be the best example :shock: 8)

anyhoo, let's take another, semi-obscure guitarist up for Randy Rhoads comparison.

Yeah, big Bolin fan. Although they are quite different stylistically, they both died very young. The big difference is how their musical legacies have been handled. While the Rhoads fans have had very little in the way of official releases since Randy's passing, I believe there have been over 20 posthumous releases of various Bolin projects; both studio and live.

If only we could be so lucky....
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

chief wrote:

Yeah, big Bolin fan. Although they are quite different stylistically, they both died very young. The big difference is how their musical legacies have been handled. While the Rhoads fans have had very little in the way of official releases since Randy's passing, I believe there have been over 20 posthumous releases of various Bolin projects; both studio and live.

If only we could be so lucky....
I totally agree. Its sad what little we get.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

NOBODY will be remember with the status of Hendrix, except, maybe, Ed Van Halen. The top players of the day were in awe of Jimi, just as the top players of the day were in awe of Ed for the first 3 years (the amount of time Jimi had to impress).

Randy will never have status outside of the guitar playing subculture. He simply wasn't in the right place at the right time to be known on that level.

Bolin will also never be known outside this subculture. He was the replacement of the replacement of Joe Walsh in the James Gang and the replacement of Blackmore in Deep Purple. People remember the first guy much more than the second (or third). That doesn't mean he wasn't a great player, just not in the right place at the right time to hit the stratosphere.
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

Geo Sav wrote:Awesome! Was that on his web site?

It was just a comment he made from a question on his Facebook page a few days ago. He usually answers all his fans questions. And since he can post and respond right away, usually the Facebook page is a better and more updated place to go.......the official Daisley site is run through a webmaster and is usually only updated once in a while. I'm sure it will be when the book's release date and all is announced, but with Facebook, you can get more real-time type updates.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Bolin will also never be known outside this subculture. He was the replacement of the replacement of Joe Walsh in the James Gang and the replacement of Blackmore in Deep Purple. People remember the first guy much more than the second (or third). That doesn't mean he wasn't a great player, just not in the right place at the right time to hit the stratosphere.
that's more or less the point I was trying to make,
hence the 'obscure guitarist' comment ;)

So, the point was that although Tommy Bolin, like Randy,
was a pretty unknown/obscure guitarist, there's MUCH more material
released with him on it and I don't doubt for a second his family is grieving
less than anyone elses. Now, if you take a look at the Randy side of the spectrum,
we now have a family that's very ANAL about releasing ANYTHING with their
deceased relative. Why is this?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:Why is this?
Because Randy's mom simply doesn't want stuff released. I respect that.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I don't think that Randy had a chance to leave a whole lot behind- and I tend to believe that his family is protective of what personal information is made available and his legacy out of respect to his mother, and I'm okay with that. I personally can't fault anyone for wanting to maintain dignity for their dead loved one.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Can't lie I want more. Great musicians were ment to be heard.