Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rhoads

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tharg

Re: Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rho

Post by Tharg »

I haven't been here for while, so I've read these posts with interest. For those who don't know, I'm the author of the book under discussion. I guess all I can add to the review above is that I tried to add genuine value to Randy's legacy by interviewing his close friends, in particular his school chum Tami Forward, and his students, specifically Frank Santa Cruz, neither of whom have commented on the record before. Believe me, getting that new material is a coup. As for the point about Randy's musicianship, there is no closer examination of his guitar technique in existence.

Thanks for reading and commenting, though: I genuinely appreciate it.

Best

Joel McIver
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Joel, I appreciate the work you put into this book, I really do. Please take my comments as constructive criticism, as that's how they are intended.

My favorite parts of the book were the early years where you spoke with Frank and Tami. I love to hear about his pre-fame days, as those stories help me see Randy as a person and not just a guitar player. The type of book you were writing is really not the forum for in depth musical analysis, in my opinion.

As stated, I knew the majority of what you wrote, because I've been reading about Randy since 1982 and I've become friends with Frank and Kelly over the years.

I'd never be able to write an entire book, so I'm impressed by those of you who can.

Keep up the good work,

Paul
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i havent read your book yet joel,but you took what you had to work with and wrote a book..i sincerely commend you for that..as soon as i have the chance i will by your book..i also understand(as i am an avid reading nut)that you cant read one book on any subject and expect to get the full realization of who or what the subject was or is like!it takes a lot of reading(from different types of authors) pro and con to come to your own conclusion as how you feel the subject was or is..just my point of view, and thank you joel for the book!!!!!!peace!
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Thanks for reading, guys! :-)
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Tito wrote:i havent read your book yet joel,but you took what you had to work with and wrote a book..i sincerely commend you for that..as soon as i have the chance i will by your book..i also understand(as i am an avid reading nut)that you cant read one book on any subject and expect to get the full realization of who or what the subject was or is like!it takes a lot of reading(from different types of authors) pro and con to come to your own conclusion as how you feel the subject was or is..just my point of view, and thank you joel for the book!!!!!!peace!
+1

I'll purchase it this week and before I post my (so called) review- but I'm sure that I'll love the subject regardless:) Thank you for taking the time and energy to bring the readers a little closer to a much beloved Randy Rhoads!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I liked it! I think you did a good job joel.
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Thanks chaps, I really appreciate these comments.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I'm going to buy your book tomorrow, also making it a point to support local businesses, and buy it from a mom and pop book/record store. I look forward to reading it, Tharg! Found some reviews on Amazon, Yahoo, etc- I'd say that 99.98% of the reviews were all positive and it was worth every penny- then some:) I'm thinking that I'll have my "review" up on Friday. I know that once that book lands in my hand, as my best friend would say- "ain't shit else gonna get done no way" til I finish it:)

Can't wait, I'm pretty excited!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Killer, looking forward to your thoughts!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

You will be glad you bought it. I picked it up and couldn't put it down.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I stopped at 2 stores today, one on Main st and another in a mall- one was actually sold out of the book and the other didn't stock it, but that is my fault because I stopped at a Christian book nook! Better luck tomorrow, huh?

I really look forward to reading this book after reading this thread:)
Mozart82

Post by Mozart82 »

I saw a copy of the book a couple of months ago at guitar center.