Guitar solos that remind you of Randy Rhoads' Style

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

kamalayka
Cool Member

Guitar solos that remind you of Randy Rhoads' Style

Post by kamalayka »

For some reason, the solo in Axe's "Now or Never" has always reminded me a bit of his playing style in Quiet Riot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo85oT6Yirg (starts around 2:30)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Guitar solos that remind you of Randy Rhoads' Style

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That does sound like Randy was an influence... by the way, the music totally did not fit the picture!

Mike Wilton and Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche always reminded me of Randy...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Brian May in Queen! :) although it doesn't sound like Randy was an influence
as much as the other way around 8)
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Yes sounds like BM and RR influence. The song sucked big time, but playing was not bad. Most blatant coping of RR licks I can think of is "Never Enough" by LA Guns. Seems like C.C.D. of Poison coped some too. To me no one has sounded like RR without playing his licks.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Quiet Riot: Come On Feel The Noise solo definitely had those RR runs I love so much.
Quiet Riot: Metal Health solo as well but not as obvious.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:Quiet Riot: Come On Feel The Noise solo definitely had those RR runs I love so much.
Quiet Riot: Metal Health solo as well but not as obvious.
I was gonna say that... Carlos definitely showed the Randy influence.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I was listening to RAGE! yesterday and trying to find Randy in Tom's licks, but he has his very own unique sound- which is what Randy always emphasized with his students, to find their own style.

Otherwise, I hear a lot of Randy out there and of course, all that I can think of offhand is Whitesnake- I heard still of the night on the radio and wondered if he did have an influence on Randy.

And yes, Stiltzkin- I hear a lot of Brian May in Randy's playing also- I think that Randy was successful in smuggling his influences in his work without losing himself in the process. I also hear some David Gilmour in there at times, too.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RRFan4Ever wrote:Otherwise, I hear a lot of Randy out there and of course, all that I can think of offhand is Whitesnake- I heard still of the night on the radio and wondered if he did have an influence on Randy.
John Sykes? I'll have to listen to his Whitesnake stuff again... I don't remember him reminding me of Randy.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I had to come back and add this, I don't know how could I forget that Dime loved him some Randy Rhoads! Even though Dime introduced a new sound and style to the masses and a much needed ass kicking with Pantera in the early to mid 90's, man I could hear Randy's influence in Cemetary Gates and This Love (in the solos especially) And like Tom of Rage, Dime also did his own thing. And like Randy, I'd like to think that Dime and Tom both have their own signature style when one listens to them.

RIP Dimebag Darrell!

I know us Randy fans tend to contemplate the way fate snuck up on him the morning of 03.19.82- but can you imagine being at the show where that lunatic shot Dime in the head as he was performing onstage? holy shitballs, I wouldn't even know where to start there!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:Otherwise, I hear a lot of Randy out there and of course, all that I can think of offhand is Whitesnake- I heard still of the night on the radio and wondered if he did have an influence on Randy.
John Sykes? I'll have to listen to his Whitesnake stuff again... I don't remember him reminding me of Randy.
Yeah, I know- I don't remember offhand whether it was Sykes, Vai or Campbell that wrote Still of the Night. More than anything, I was merely wondering if Randy had an influence in there somewhere, as it may have been coincidental also.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RRFan4Ever wrote:as it may have been coincidental also.
that's probably it. John Sykes is a product of the british 8)
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Stiltzkin wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:as it may have been coincidental also.
that's probably it. John Sykes is a product of the british 8)
Yes, I know- my reasoning was that it was post 82, and considering that both Rudy and Tommy ended up in Whitesnake and in that particular recording, that perhaps a respect or admiration for Randy's work was in there somewhere.

Also, I forgot to mention Adrian Vandenberg on guitar. Did Sykes record Still of the Night- or was it Vai? I never could keep up with all the members coming and going lol but I've never been a huge fan though, either.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

The Final Countdown has a bit of a Randy Rhoads' type guitar solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJ-wNmazHQ

It also has the COOLEST keyboards parts ever, in my opinion. This is the song I want played at my funeral years from now!! 8) (Now I'm kind of bummed out that people probably won't even recognize it by then :cry: )
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

RRFan4Ever wrote:
Yes, I know- my reasoning was that it was post 82, and considering that both Rudy and Tommy ended up in Whitesnake and in that particular recording, that perhaps a respect or admiration for Randy's work was in there somewhere.

Also, I forgot to mention Adrian Vandenberg on guitar. Did Sykes record Still of the Night- or was it Vai? I never could keep up with all the members coming and going lol but I've never been a huge fan though, either.
sykes wrote/played it...also tommy and rudy weren't in the band that recorded it (sounds familiar). Sykes has a lot more gary moore than randy in his playing
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:Also, I forgot to mention Adrian Vandenberg on guitar. Did Sykes record Still of the Night- or was it Vai? I never could keep up with all the members coming and going lol but I've never been a huge fan though, either.
sykes wrote/played it...also tommy and rudy weren't in the band that recorded it (sounds familiar). Sykes has a lot more gary moore than randy in his playing
John Sykes never reminded me of anyone but John Sykes... with Tygers, Lizzy, Whitesnake or on his own...