The curse of Randy Rhoads strikes again?...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Re: The curse of Randy Rhoads strikes again?...

Post by Tito »

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!GET EM PAUL!!!!!!!i agree with you on that paul i mean no matter how much bitching or throwing mud at the family goes on its not gonna change anything!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
randy will never die wrote:bob saget man why does this stuff keep happing bet my life that if randy was still with us he would have this stuff out already
If Randy was still with us, there wouldn't be a cult following and most members here would probably not even know who he was.
frank wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:..as soon as you start to question their methods in any way, those people 'close' to the family pounds you down with the hammer of doom...
could it be that things aren't always as they appear? could it possibly be that contracts haven't been met and material from one project stolen to be used in another? if everything was above board and honestly presented, i assure you, the lawyers wouldn't be involved.

frank.
Frank, unfortunately this 'Internet generation' believes they are entitled to every bit of information possible. They feel that if there is any behind-the-scenes issue, they deserve to be told about it.

I agree with you, if Randy's family says, "No," then the answer should be NO.
sytharnia wrote:what a bummer....but if the stuff on the DVD of QR was the stuff Kevin had stolen off him then I think it shouldn't be released
Here is the video stolen from Kevin, it's been available for years....
hansolo wrote:I gotta say the Rhoads' family hasn't done much for Randy compared to what Randy did for the Rhoads' family. If you think putting your dead brother on a bottle of wine and charging $70 a bottle ISN'T EXPLOITATIVE THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

Oh please, enough with bitching about the wine. Ask yourself this, how much does a quality bottle of wine cost without an image of Randy Rhoads on it? The answer is: about the same as a bottle with the image on it. If Randy's sister had been a photographer and put out a book of photographs of her brother, you would all drool over it. Instead, it's a bottle of wine that means nothing to most of you, so it's 'exploitative'.

As for Hendrix, their are hundreds of things with Hendrix's image on them that have nothing to do with music. What it boils down to is Randy's "fans" feel they deserve everything they want and will whine and cry until they get what they want. There isn't any 'music' to release as there was with Hendrix. Randy didn't build his own studio and spend hours recording his ideas there.

So what if these books got the axe? When you all start appreciating what you have been given and quit whining, this community will be a better place. When and if these books are published, consider it a pleasant surprise and not, "it's about time".

When the majority of members here start discussing music and guitar playing you'll be honoring Randy's memory. When you start posting about Randy's use of sus 4 chords and arpeggios and how to apply such things into your own playing, then you'll be honoring his legacy. As long as the posts are bitching about pictures and documentaries, you people sound like spoiled little kids demanding that you be given everything without earning anything.
Agreed.

The slagging of the family is selfish and immature.They dont owe the fans anything.They are not asking for money or need it nor does the guitarist on blizzard or diary :).I think they ve done a great job of not peddling beer bottle openers and key chains etc.Be happy with the 2 albums cuz they aint nuthin in some vault that touches it.
Anything else is just gravy or garbage but why insult the family?It doesnt show the fans in good light at all.I think you are no longer a fan when you start ripping the family,you have entered the creep zone where you think somebody/the family owes you something for your selfish desires.Show some class and respect for the family.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Some fans you guys are. The guy did 2 albums we can never forget and you say if he had done more we would of forgotten him. WEAK! I believe the Led Zeppelin wine I bought for a friend was $10-20. I don't expect the family to release everything Randy but sticking Randy on anything but music or anything he has done is exploitative but you better check with your experts, first. Is that morally right, so and so? "Well, I know something but can't say anything." Sorry, if the whine bothered you but the wine bothered me.

Guess what, in NY we have an aged rockstar called Lou Gramm. This isn't a slam on Lou but his Handlers. A friend went to meet Lou at his house (he noticed my friend's hotrod, Lou's car was broke down at a deli) and he told me that upon entering he got a talking to; "Lou doesn't want to talk music. Lou is a regular guy. Lou likes to talk about cars. Don't give Lou food after 12am, etc." If Lou is such a regular guy, why are we having this conversation? Typical rockstar behavior of those surrounding talent.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

oth - what the hell are you talking about? You said "If Randy was still with us, there wouldn't be a cult following and most members here would probably not even know who he was". That is utter BS.

I was a Randy Cultist while he was alive. Many of us were Randy worshippers of the highest order while he lived. Just cuz you are a "johnny come lately" to Randy's skill doesnt mean everyone was. In fact I doubt you have any idea how influential he was WHILE HE LIVED. If you can say that ridiculous quote then you have no clue what randy accomplished. Just sayin...
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

paul? a 'johnny-come-lately'? good one. :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:Some fans you guys are. The guy did 2 albums we can never forget and you say if he had done more we would of forgotten him. WEAK!
How many great records were made and then the band faded away? Do you follow those players?

Randy said he was done with rock and wanted to pursue a degree in classical guitar. Had he done that, he'd probably have faded from the public eye because he didn't enjoy the rock star world and wanted to be at home. So, had he lived, he'd have faded away and no one would talk so much about him. Instead he died and became a legend who could never be tarnished because he never did anything less than stellar.

'HanSolo', you know very little about being a fan, based on the posts you make here, in my opinion. You made an attack I found offensive, I spoke my piece and then you question my ability to be a fan? How long have you been listening to Randy's guitar playing? I first heard him in 1981 and have been a fan ever since... But I know that if he had lived, he'd have faded from memory and I would remember his songs, but not him... just like I hear Peter Green's music with Fleetwood Mac but don't think about Peter Green very often.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:paul? a 'johnny-come-lately'? good one. :lol:

Hey Frank... hope you're doing well.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

SLAGER wrote:oth - what the hell are you talking about? You said "If Randy was still with us, there wouldn't be a cult following and most members here would probably not even know who he was". That is utter BS.

I was a Randy Cultist while he was alive. Many of us were Randy worshippers of the highest order while he lived. Just cuz you are a "johnny come lately" to Randy's skill doesnt mean everyone was. In fact I doubt you have any idea how influential he was WHILE HE LIVED. If you can say that ridiculous quote then you have no clue what randy accomplished. Just sayin...
Uh,youre not quoting me there.

As an aside, i only got into RR in 83.I wasnt into metal til then.But i always remembered liking crazy train,fha,otm when it came on the radio and how bright sounding the guitar work was.There were many rr fans in my hs when those albums came out and one friend suggested we go see blizzard one night but i wasnt that interested in seeing ozzy.I did see dio on mob rules though.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I would imagine that if Randy was putting out music even about one third as good as BOO or DOAM I would still be a fan. Classical,jazz, fusion what ever he chose to do who cares. I listen to all types of music. So if Randy only played classical I would still be a fan. I play my classical every day. Why does everything result into arguing? I gotta say I still would love to hear other things that Randy did like demos ect. I guess I'm not a fan then.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

Yeah GeoSav, you're right. It shouldnt result in arguing. I re-read my post and it was quite aggressive. Oth's quote really got my blood boiling (yes, i copied and pasted the exact quote). It hurts my feelings, for some reason when people diss Randy as though he didnt earn our respect for him. He was a hero while he lived, as well as after his death - but not because of it. I'll try to be more diplomatic next time, but I would be here even if he was still alive (especially if he was still alive).
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SLAGER wrote:oth - what the hell are you talking about? You said "If Randy was still with us, there wouldn't be a cult following and most members here would probably not even know who he was". That is utter BS.

First of all, I said that, not Oth, so if you want to get upset, get upset with the right person.

Second of all, how old are you and when did you first hear Randy?

Third of all, I was fairly eloquent in backing up my theory with an explanation. If you don't agree, and think you'd be a Randy fan regardless, then cool, more power to you. We'll never know one way or another, will we? But based on the way younger members here attack Ed Van Halen as being a worthless hack because you don't like some of his songs or think tapping is old hat, the same would eventually have been said about Randy when he put out something more pop without the classical metal shred you know him for.

As I said, Peter Green was phenomenal, and he faded away instead of dieing... death makes legends, unfortunately. I'm just jealous of people like Frank and Kim McNair who wouldv'e had the chance to enjoy Randy's genius even if he'd never met Ozzy.

johnny-come-lately has spoken!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

While I'm at it, kids... how many of you love songs by the Wrecking Crew and idolize them with a cult-like fandom?

Hmmm... I challenge each of you to go here and read a bit about the Wrecking Crew and tell me that stellar musicians can't fly by without coming near the radar and thus be dismissed.

I'm not some stupid kid making inflammatory comments here, I actually think before I type and can give specific reasons for my comments.

As for the 'johnny-come-lately' thing, I'd like to present this into evidence... been here since March 20th, 2006 and have posted more than a couple times :D
Attachments
ur.JPG
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote:While I'm at it, kids... how many of you love songs by the Wrecking Crew and idolize them with a cult-like fandom?

Hmmm... I challenge each of you to go here and read a bit about the Wrecking Crew and tell me that stellar musicians can't fly by without coming near the radar and thus be dismissed.

I'm not some stupid kid making inflammatory comments here, I actually think before I type and can give specific reasons for my comments.

As for the 'johnny-come-lately' thing, I'd like to present this into evidence... been here since March 20th, 2006 and have posted more than a couple times :D
I'm the 8th highest poster :shock: :lol:

When did that happen? Seems like I barely post. I must be a senior member, or should that be senior spammer :lol: PS. missing Sarab, hope she is well.

Regarding the family, I honestly don't know what I think. Probably the biggest problem has always been communication. It's a shame there isn't an official, run by the family, website. Just a place to get "official news" and some semblance of order to events. Every new book or film or bit of footage normally has little to do with the family. And every bit of news usually comes from a third party.

Things come and go about RR but no one is really in charge of his legacy. Then we end up with He said, she said and johnny-come-lately

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:Regarding the family, I honestly don't know what I think. Probably the biggest problem has always been communication. It's a shame there isn't an official, run by the family, website. Just a place to get "official news" and some semblance of order to events.
That'd be nice, huh?