Floyd Rose

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Floyd Rose

Post by randy will never die »

just got to thinking randy had alot of tuneing problems with his guitars.

Do any of you think he would have used one if he hadent past on?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Floyd Rose

Post by hansolo »

Absolutely. I had/played a bunch of non-locking vibrato bar bridges and the best one's were the 2 fulcrum points style. I had an early Floyd non-locking on a Kramer and I could get it to stay mostly in tune. I can't believe Randy didn't have more tuning issues with the old fender style trem. Were all the 6 screws in it? I remember playing this Fender Jaguar at this jam and I asked if the bar worked and my friend said, not if you want to stay in tune. I used it at the end of the song and it went completely out. I said if I buy a guitar with a bar it better be a Floyd. I have a few USA Charvels (2009-2010) now and they sty in tune very nicely...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I dont remember Randy having issues with tuning. Where was this said. I know he had feedback issues but I dont recall tuning.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I agree. I think he kept it in tune well. We all have the 3 tours with Ozzy and the QR stuff, live when he uses the bar, so is there any show where he goes really out of tune? Please excuse my grammar. I just rolled out of the sack.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I'm curious as to where that was stated. Good morning hansolo
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

randy had a guy in england (andy chandler or something) set up his trems....the jackson had 4 of the screws removed so it was just pivoting on 2.

if set up right, so no string sticking at the nut or in the saddles, the machine heads being nice and tight and not moving and strings properly stretched a standard trem should stay in tune pretty well. I have 4 guitars with them and never have tuning issues, they are only set up to dive though
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Thats interesting. I only asked cause I never heard that before.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

just a thought in my mind herad in a copple of interviews that randy had tuning problems with the PDV
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

randy will never die wrote:just a thought in my mind herad in a copple of interviews that randy had tuning problems with the PDV
I have read that as well...but I assume it was more in reference to his QR days and also before he found someone who could set them up right
white gold

Post by white gold »

I believe Zakk has a replica PDV, in an interview i remember him saying that if you touched the bar it would go out of tune.
Please visit my youtube for guitar videos http://www.youtube.com/user/yngvai777
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

white gold wrote:I believe Zakk has a replica PDV, in an interview i remember him saying that if you touched the bar it would go out of tune.
every pic of zakk I have seen with a polka dot it has a floyd though
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The tuning issues with the Polka-Dot V were due to the headstock breaking off when it was dropped shortly after it was built.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The tuning issues with the Polka-Dot V were due to the headstock breaking off when it was dropped shortly after it was built.
This ;)
I've also read that it lacked a trussrod?
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

sytharnia wrote:
white gold wrote:I believe Zakk has a replica PDV, in an interview i remember him saying that if you touched the bar it would go out of tune.
White gold, this one? Zakk's wife had it made for him if I remember correct (too bad the pic is so low res!).

white gold

Post by white gold »

Isodee wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
White gold, this one? Zakk's wife had it made for him if I remember correct (too bad the pic is so low res!).

I think that would be it, i remember him saying it was an exact replica "it even has the same bridge where if you touch it, it goes out of tune" i'll see if i can dig up the vid on youtube. Yes, he does have one with a floyd rose too.
Please visit my youtube for guitar videos http://www.youtube.com/user/yngvai777