Cool Member

Re: Most Under-Rated Randy Song?

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

Steal Away (The Night)
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I'm surprised no on has picked DIary yet, the playing mood fits the title and sounds eerie and the extra violins and choir just add to it
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:I'm surprised no on has picked DIary yet, the playing mood fits the title and sounds eerie and the extra violins and choir just add to it

But is Diary really underrated? That song is often quoted as one of Randy's masterpieces.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

^
+1

Definately S.A.T.O. for me. Great track, a favourite of mine!
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Diary is still under rated by the rest of the world for what it should be
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Honestly, all the tracks except Flying High Again and Over The Mountain are underrated. I hear those two on on my local radio station every few days. S.A.T.O is an every one in a while song, but no other stations play all those other songs. It really does annoy me. People just want to stick to Crazy Train, Flying High Again and Mr. Crowley. Crazy Train is over played so much that I skip it whenever I listen to it in a bootleg, unless it's a new boot. I say Tonight, Diary and S.A.T.O should be on more.
SpiralOut

Post by SpiralOut »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:I'm surprised no on has picked DIary yet, the playing mood fits the title and sounds eerie and the extra violins and choir just add to it

But is Diary really underrated? That song is often quoted as one of Randy's masterpieces.
Nope, I can't see Diary being underrated :? SATO and YCKRAR are two insanely overlooked gems :!:
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Pretty much any of the songs you don't hear on the radio. It is hard to believe that tonight and SATO arenever on the radio though.
Blizzard_Of_Rhoads

Post by Blizzard_Of_Rhoads »

This is an interesting topic and I've seen a lot of songs nominated as "Most Under-rated" but for me, there is one that is clearly the most under appreciated, most over-looked song and there are several reasons for this and... it appears on Blizzard Of Ozz and that song is...

Dee!!!

Randy is known as this "great, heavy metal guitarist" and a "pioneer" of the "Classical Meets Rock" stereotype, yet w/ Dee he shows a side to him that so few of his peers could ever begin to approach. Perhaps Jimmy Page w/ Bron-Yr-Aur comes close, but why this track stands out to me is because not only do you never hear it mentioned, unless it's in a Guitar World article, but it's also this big tease... as in... where might he have taken his playing had he not boarded that plane?

My favorite version of this is of course the "Outtakes" from Tribute... we get to hear Randy talk, we get a very lengthy, extended version and even little gems like: "I fretted that chord wrong."

You've heard the clichéd saying about the tip of the iceberg... well Dee is the proverbial tip of the iceberg when it comes to Randy and how beautifully he played but also... what might have been.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Blizzard_Of_Rhoads wrote:and a "pioneer" of the "Classical Meets Rock" stereotype
can't really agree on this, because there were atleast 3 guys that blended those genres
in the early 70's while Rhoads was still in school.

Blackmore, Roth and Schenker(to a certain degree).
Blizzard_Of_Rhoads

Post by Blizzard_Of_Rhoads »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Blizzard_Of_Rhoads wrote:and a "pioneer" of the "Classical Meets Rock" stereotype
can't really agree on this, because there were atleast 3 guys that blended those genres
in the early 70's while Rhoads was still in school.

Blackmore, Roth and Schenker(to a certain degree).
That's why I used quotation marks around those words... because you read this about him, typically in guitar magazine articles looking back on his career. I'm well aware of Blackmore and Uli and what they did prior to Randy, but as I tried to point out this is how Randy is typically viewed.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

all I'm saying is that he was hardly a pioneer in that field.
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Blizzard_Of_Rhoads wrote:This is an interesting topic and I've seen a lot of songs nominated as "Most Under-rated" but for me, there is one that is clearly the most under appreciated, most over-looked song and there are several reasons for this and... it appears on Blizzard Of Ozz and that song is...

Dee!!!

Randy is known as this "great, heavy metal guitarist" and a "pioneer" of the "Classical Meets Rock" stereotype, yet w/ Dee he shows a side to him that so few of his peers could ever begin to approach. Perhaps Jimmy Page w/ Bron-Yr-Aur comes close, but why this track stands out to me is because not only do you never hear it mentioned, unless it's in a Guitar World article, but it's also this big tease... as in... where might he have taken his playing had he not boarded that plane?

My favorite version of this is of course the "Outtakes" from Tribute... we get to hear Randy talk, we get a very lengthy, extended version and even little gems like: "I fretted that chord wrong."

You've heard the clichéd saying about the tip of the iceberg... well Dee is the proverbial tip of the iceberg when it comes to Randy and how beautifully he played but also... what might have been.
I agree. I have Dee on my iPod, listen to it all the time.

Wish it was longer than 30 seconds....
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I wish he had another classical solo spot on DOAM like he had Dee on BOO.