2 and a half unreleassed songs (Randy)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shred1
Madman

Re: 2 and a half unreleassed songs (Randy)

Post by shred1 »

Actually, we did know that Bob and Lee were not going to be there.
Not a game breaker. We wanted to see Randy, Tommy and Ozzy.

You tell me, why were they removed from the albums? And who removed them?
It wasn't Sharon or Don who asked Tommy to redo the Diary drum tracks...

Hans, Several times you have asked me to explain what THEY were thinking. I don't have any answers there.

I believe I stated earlier that removing them off those albums was ridiculous and extreme.

How long have YOU followed this story? I have followed it for 30 years and nothing has changed.

After all this time, I believe that Bob and Lee's legal battle is the main reason why Rhoads footage is scarce.
Every little piece has to run through the legal steamroller.

If you read the Don Arden article, he stated that 'to beat the champ, you gotta be prepared to go 15 rounds'.
Mild-mannered Bob, after 30 years, wasn't prepared to go 15 rounds.

They deserve credit, they deserve to be paid. I can't help'em with their legal arrangements however. I supported them the only way a fan can, I bought the albums.... a couple times.

Their story is OLD. Not justified, not fair etc. But still.....old.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

shred1 wrote: It wasn't Sharon or Don who asked Tommy to redo the Diary drum tracks...
now hold on, Tommy didn't redo any drumtracks on Diary ...
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

I have a feeling that Lee Kerslake meant that there are two and half unreleased songs Maybe from the songwriting and rehearsal sessions for 'Diary Of A Madman'. I believe they only had enough time to record the subsequent eight songs that wound up becoming 'Diary'. I doubt he meant "You Looking At Me, Looking At You" and "You Said It All". Even if this were the case, what would be the other 1/2 song?

To be a fly on the wall with an ear to the stash of Bob Daisley's and Lee Kerslake's home collection of recordings with Ozzy and Randy!

The unreleased stuff has to be interesting. Consider how strong and happening 'Diary' is. I doubt the outtakes would be that shabby. The band grew a lot within the year between 'Blizzard' and 'Diary'.

The folklore that Ozzy spouted that 'Blizzard' and 'Diary' were recorded side by side. A bad rumor kept alive by even Jim Florentine on VH1 Classic's 'That Metal Show'.

If the unreleased stuff sounds as good as "You Said It All" songwriting-wise...

Please make amends Ozzy, Sharon, Bob & Lee. Before one of yas dies. Band together and make right on account of everyone who made you who you are: the fans and public who buy the records and made you rich :wink: ! Come on, guys! Let's get crackin'! lol
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

From the June/July issue of Guitar World, pg 168:

The original plan was to have Sarzo and Aldridge replace Daisley & Kerslake's tracks on the record.
Norman says, "I got a call from Sharon some months later asking me to replace the bass and drums on the whole record with Rudy and Tommy. And I said it's impossible. There wasn't a click track on there. There was just no way to do it. It would have ruined the record. I know that she got pretty pissed off at me about that. And Don [Arden, Sharon's father] got pretty pissed off about it, too. They basically wanted to cut [Daisley & Kerslake] entirely, I think, at that point."
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Tommy was asked to redo the Diary tracks, by I BELIEVE David Arden - someone 'no longer' in the Ozzy organization, according to Gary Sharpe's book.
Whoever it was, he declined. As I have posted here before, Tommy thought Lee's tracks were 'perfect' anyway.
jckmdcn

Post by jckmdcn »

Tommy and Rudy were good, solid live performers

Bob and Lee were good, solid studio performers (I don't think there was a big difference live (maybe with Bob)

BUT... Bob and Lee were great composers and I think the drums intros from Lee were/are legendary, and with Bob - Crazy Train, Believer those were the first things I ever played when I picked up the bass. That's amazing to me. I can only think of Gene Simmons intro to 100,000 years as in the same conversation as a really cool bass-only beginning.

Little Dolls, Over the Mountain - those two are timeless drum intros that I hear in many songs since then by other drummers.
they should get the credit they deserve. I don't see everyone lamenting over The Ultimate Sin: "any extra tracks recorded?" lol

if there are 2 and a half songs, they must be worth hearing or buying.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

hansolo wrote:I guess if you were in a band with Randy Rhoads and you had tapes of jams, you would only keep them is they were amazing? And one person could look at the DVD or a bootleg and say, "this is crap quality" and turn it off. The next guy is amazed and thankful something new has come out and he may EQ the bootleg to make it sound better. To each his own. I could listen to RR rehearsals (like the SS demo) all day! You bitch about Bob and Lee for not putting them out but the box set is the 2nd Ozzy/Randy release since his death! We may never hear them but that is life. You take the good with the bad. It sounds so hateful against Lee and Bob, "I didn't notice or care that Bob and Lee were not there." First, you probably didn't know the whole story or know they were replaced. The show was probably so amazing with Randy, it could of been just him, so to speak. But these guys have never gotten the credit they deserve. If they were already paid, why did Sharon Remove them off the albums? How do you feel about Sharon messing with those 2 albums? Let me guess, you love her but hate Lee and Bob.

"For rockstars who go up and don't come down." - Kinda morbid...

Umm...are you addressing me here? Wasn't sure because of the lack of quote.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
hansolo wrote:I guess if you were in a band with Randy Rhoads and you had tapes of jams, you would only keep them is they were amazing? And one person could look at the DVD or a bootleg and say, "this is crap quality" and turn it off. The next guy is amazed and thankful something new has come out and he may EQ the bootleg to make it sound better. To each his own. I could listen to RR rehearsals (like the SS demo) all day! You bitch about Bob and Lee for not putting them out but the box set is the 2nd Ozzy/Randy release since his death! We may never hear them but that is life. You take the good with the bad. It sounds so hateful against Lee and Bob, "I didn't notice or care that Bob and Lee were not there." First, you probably didn't know the whole story or know they were replaced. The show was probably so amazing with Randy, it could of been just him, so to speak. But these guys have never gotten the credit they deserve. If they were already paid, why did Sharon Remove them off the albums? How do you feel about Sharon messing with those 2 albums? Let me guess, you love her but hate Lee and Bob.

Sharon replaced the bassist and drum tracks in 2002. No comment? Does it apply? Yes.

I'm pretty sure even a side of a tape of Randy jamming (low-med quality) with Bob or Bob and Lee would blow my mind. If it's nothing to you, I can understand. Your just not that into Randy. The guitar lessons, Ozzy and QR boots blew my mind as well as the boxset, although pricey. I bought the boxset, the picture disc LP's, the cds (I wanted the artwork) as well as both the sealed 180G lp's. I'm thirsty for Randy and I need more!
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Hans, are you reading the posts in this thread, at all?
Why don't you get what I am trying to say. THEY GOT SCREWED!
Wouldn't wish it on anyone. It happened. I didn't make it happen.
Bob and Lee don't want my respect, they want some money.
I have paid them in full.

Let me put it this way......
Anyone interested in hearing a track demo track of Bob and Lee jamming/writing for the Diary sessions without Rhoads on it?

Sure a handful...but the value, the intrigue, the desire comes from the 'hope' of hearing some 'new' Randy.

Not some Lee Kerslake drums tracks.

I think they are trading on the kid's (RR) legacy. There. I said it.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

jckmdcn wrote:I don't see everyone lamenting over The Ultimate Sin: "any extra tracks recorded?" lol
actually I would love to hear what jake did while ozzy was in the betty ford clinic......apparently he recorded a whole album of songs with a drum machine and he did the guitars, bass and keyboards (there were no vocals). When ozzy came back they used/re wrote half of them and binned the rest...now that's grail right there 8)
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

actually I would love to hear what jake did while ozzy was in the betty ford clinic......apparently he recorded a whole album of songs with a drum machine and he did the guitars, bass and keyboards (there were no vocals). When ozzy came back they used/re wrote half of them and binned the rest...now that's grail right there 8)[/quote]

Not to diminish anything about Randy, but I 1000 percent agree with this statement. And I would also add, it would be cool as heck to see the film of the 84 Donington show, for which there is photographic proof that it was filmed. Jake said one time that on his 3rd album with Ozzy he planned to fully explore the vistas of electric guitar, I wonder if he had worked on anything prior to his dismissal/leaving.

Again, not to diminish anything about Randy, these are exciting times for every Randy Rhoads fan, as well as fans of rock guitar in general. Randy was one of the truly influential players in the history of hard rock/heavy metal guitar and its cool to see some of this stuff seeing the light of day. Being the Jake E. Lee fan that I am, I'd love to see some of his stuff as well.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

hansolo wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:

Sharon replaced the bassist and drum tracks in 2002. No comment? Does it apply? Yes.

I'm pretty sure even a side of a tape of Randy jamming (low-med quality) with Bob or Bob and Lee would blow my mind. If it's nothing to you, I can understand. Your just not that into Randy. The guitar lessons, Ozzy and QR boots blew my mind as well as the boxset, although pricey. I bought the boxset, the picture disc LP's, the cds (I wanted the artwork) as well as both the sealed 180G lp's. I'm thirsty for Randy and I need more!
Yes, she did replace the tracks in 2002. What's your point here, Captain Obvious?

Do I like it? No, I don't. Do I "hate" Bob and Lee? No. Where did I once say this? Just because I don't think the "Grail" tapes are anything amazing I automatically hate Bob and Lee? Give your head a shake, man. I respect them as musicians and as people; each has an impressive musical resume, and both have been gracious and forthcoming to Randy fans. What more can we ask? I simply don't believe that we'll hear the tapes Bob has. It'd be great if we did, but I doubt they'll see the light of day in a public setting.

As far "not being that into Randy", why would I join not one, but two message boards regarding him if I didn't find his music or his life that interesting? I find this a ridiculous cop out; I'm not less of a fan because I don't worry about every little snippet of Randy's work. I guess you're "more of a fan" than me if that's how you judge how much of a fan one is. Bravo.

For your information, by the way, I owned BOO and DOAM on cassette many years ago, and didn't upgrade until the originals were released recently for the 30th anniversary, so the Bob/Lee comments don't hold water. I also bought the QR Randy Rhoads CD when it was first released as well...so yeah, guess I'm not a fan, huh?

Please get some context before you start making assumptions, alright? Thanks.
sbjch1997

Post by sbjch1997 »

i love how almost every topic turns into a debate about Bob and Lee...can we atleast try to stay on topic?
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Hans, are you reading the posts in this thread, at all?
Why don't you get what I am trying to say. THEY GOT SCREWED!
Wouldn't wish it on anyone. It happened. I didn't make it happen.
Bob and Lee don't want my respect, they want some money.
I have paid them in full.

Let me put it this way......
Anyone interested in hearing a track demo track of Bob and Lee jamming/writing for the Diary sessions without Rhoads on it?

Sure a handful...but the value, the intrigue, the desire comes from the 'hope' of hearing some 'new' Randy.

Not some Lee Kerslake drums tracks.

I think they are trading on the kid's (RR) legacy. There. I said it.
Tracks without Randy on them, sure, I'd be up for that, because I'm into the music, love hearing how songs are created and love creating them. I'm not just interested in songs like Crazy Train, I Don't Know, Suicide Solution etc just to hear what Randy played. I love Randy Rhoads, his playing and style of creativity, but he's not the be all and end all of those great songs and albums IMO.

Trading on Randy's legacy.......you mean Bob and Lee, or Ozzy and Sharon?.....let's see, Ozzy and Sharon basically started doing that with the release of the Tribute album, and then with the box set. Bob and Lee, well they haven't released anything yet to do with Randy. Let's face facts, if Bob and/or Lee wanted to make a dollar from the Randy legacy, they would have released a book years ago titled something along the lines of..."My time with Randy Rhoads"..........but they never have. Bob's getting around to releasing his autobiography, but it's not just about his time with Ozzy and Randy, it's also about being with Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Gary Moore, and the rest of his career. It also deals with his early career and growing up in Sydney.

As I've said before, Bob hasn't even bothered mentioning that he has tapes, until the 30th Anniversary Box set was being talked about. He thought it would be something that would give an insight into the songs, not just for people to hear Randy's playing. Sharon wanted to buy them outright for a few thousand dollars, Bob doesn't want to sell them, they are not just tapes, they are memories. Bob wanted to work out a royalty percentage, and Sharon refused, she didn't even want to know how much of a percentage.

He wanted to release them himself, but he also needs permission from Ozzy and Sharon RE: Ozzy's performance rights, and they won't give it.

Ozzy would earn a royalty percentage from this.

This is not about Randy, or Ozzy or the fans or the great music, this is about Sharon hating Bob, and everyone loses because of it. End of story.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

that bob and lee shit is so old!!!!they did 2 great albums bent over and let sharon serve them both!!!whats the problem?they got boned and history is all we got!!!