Heres a question?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

To be quite honest I'm pretty sure he was worked out of a book that had that Etude #6 in it. Seems like a classic case of hearing or playing something, putting it out of sight and out of mind and later on the melody/riff/progressions come back and you can't rememebr where it came from, but you like it and use it, honestly not knowing that you might have plagiarized.

The key here is that he didn't play it the exact same way that Etude #6 was written. I'll bet money that he honestly thought he came up with that.
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Jake_E_Lee wrote:who Leo Brouwer?
Some classical guitarplayer.

Here's Etude #6 for ya ;)
They do sound very familiar..I prefer Diary though..Not as repedative
David_Ford_1956

Post by David_Ford_1956 »

Randy was taking classical guitar lessons in England at the time. Those Etudes are a very common set of lessons used in classical guitar lessons.

Anyway, Randy was having a lesson when Ozzy happened by and heard him playing that Etude. He walked in and said they should make a song out of it. Randy promptly kicked him out as he took his lessons seriously.

There is no eveidence one way or the other as to whether or not Randy conciously plagerized this piece, but based on Ozzy's telling of the story (as recited above), it is likely that they did indeed steal it and Randy put his spin on it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

David_Ford_1956 wrote:Randy was taking classical guitar lessons in England at the time. Those Etudes are a very common set of lessons used in classical guitar lessons.

Anyway, Randy was having a lesson when Ozzy happened by and heard him playing that Etude. He walked in and said they should make a song out of it. Randy promptly kicked him out as he took his lessons seriously.

There is no eveidence one way or the other as to whether or not Randy conciously plagerized this piece, but based on Ozzy's telling of the story (as recited above), it is likely that they did indeed steal it and Randy put his spin on it.
That's the story as I've heard it... the truth will probably never be known.
watersfootball

Re: Heres a question?

Post by watersfootball »

Rhoads doam was a little bit of a rip off of the song carmina burana but the song was made a long time ago so he wasn't ever in danger of getting sued

Mike
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

watersfootball wrote:Rhoads doam was a little bit of a rip off of the song carmina burana but the song was made a long time ago so he wasn't ever in danger of getting sued

Mike
Since you decided to necro a 5 year old thread, do you mind speaking English? :wink:

And if you're referring to the outro with the chorus doing that "AH AH" thing with the guitar, I wouldn't say that he was ripping that off.

They have a vaguely similar feel, but they are different.

And also, I do believe he knowingly stole it because I've read that Ozzy was passing by him or something and heard Randy playing the riff and Ozzy said "I want to steal that" or something along those lines.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Ozzy brought it up in the box doc, it's a bit tough to quote it word for word, but basically, Ozzy and Randy shared an apartment in London, Ozzy was lying on the couch while Randy was having a classical lesson featuring this piece, and Ozzy claims to have said: "I'm stealing that."
Upon playback at the mixing desk with Kevin Churko, as the intro is playing, Ozzy says to Kevin:
"This was a classical piece that he was learning, and I just adapted it."

I think Waters is referring to the acoustic intro, which is an obvious lift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HmQixA- ... re=related

~T.
Last edited by whoopiecat on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

This had been talked about not too long ago on this forum. Ozzy said he liked what Randy was playing during his lesson and of course did say "steal", but probably jokingly. It's not exact at all, there's one pattern in it that sounds similar. It's like someone was influenced by a piece of music and wrote something similar.

To plagiarize is to take something and call it your own. Randy didn't take the exact song and just rearrange certain parts. So, it has a pattern in it that is similar ... much of it is not. I'm not trying to defend Randy at all, but I don't think Leo would have been able to go through with the suit. At least not with Sharon around. :lol:

Leo did claim that it was stolen and did want to to file suit. He said he dropped it after he heard about what happened to Randy and felt bad. I know it would be harsh to take something to court after someone has passed, but the record is still selling like hot cakes.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Sharon would of made Leo disappear... (Ha, ha - sorry Leo!) I do think it was ripped off Leo but it is funny how technical the finger-picking and chord structures are but it is so boring. When Randy used the chords for the intro... Not picking it so much made it more agonizing. But man, what a song they wrote. It sounds like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and all those old monster movies were put in a blender and this is the sweet, sweet juice from it!
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

hansolo wrote:Sharon would of made Leo disappear... (Ha, ha - sorry Leo!) I do think it was ripped off Leo but it is funny how technical the finger-picking and chord structures are but it is so boring. When Randy used the chords for the intro... Not picking it so much made it more agonizing. But man, what a song they wrote. It sounds like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and all those old monster movies were put in a blender and this is the sweet, sweet juice from it!
The song is very melodic and so moody. I never get tired of listening to it. Randy's not here to defend himself, so it's pointless to ... errr, point fingers. :lol:

Speaking of Leo Brouwer, I purchased the CD Costas Cotsiolis, Leo Brouwer The Complete Guitar Works, Vol 1. I was just curious. However, the parts are played so softly throughout and there are many long pauses. I tried listening a few times and it was boring me a bit. It has that exact track on it that we're talking about.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Silver Rhoads wrote:
hansolo wrote:Sharon would of made Leo disappear... (Ha, ha - sorry Leo!) I do think it was ripped off Leo but it is funny how technical the finger-picking and chord structures are but it is so boring. When Randy used the chords for the intro... Not picking it so much made it more agonizing. But man, what a song they wrote. It sounds like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and all those old monster movies were put in a blender and this is the sweet, sweet juice from it!
The song is very melodic and so moody. I never get tired of listening to it. Randy's not here to defend himself, so it's pointless to ... errr, point fingers. :lol:

Speaking of Leo Brouwer, I purchased the CD Costas Cotsiolis, Leo Brouwer The Complete Guitar Works, Vol 1. I was just curious. However, the parts are played so softly throughout and there are many long pauses. I tried listening a few times and it was boring me a bit. It has that exact track on it that we're talking about.
It is pointless but boring you a bit... Huh?
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

hansolo wrote:Sharon would of made Leo disappear... (Ha, ha - sorry Leo!) I do think it was ripped off Leo but it is funny how technical the finger-picking and chord structures are but it is so boring.
If I recall correctly, it's just a training exercise. Of course it's going to be boring.

Doing scales all the time isn't very fun, but you do them anyways because it's training.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

hansolo wrote:
Silver Rhoads wrote:

It is pointless but boring you a bit... Huh?
It's not Diary that was boring me, it was the Leo Brouwer CD. I just didn't like the way it was recorded. You can't hear the soft parts at all. When you turn it up, the loud parts are too hot. Plus, some of the parts played do seem monotonous. Though I'm not putting it down.
Cryptic Night wrote:If I recall correctly, it's just a training exercise. Of course it's going to be boring.

Doing scales all the time isn't very fun, but you do them anyways because it's training.
I thought I would be able to listen to it like a Joe Satch CD. I do love acoustic. I guess boring was a poor choice of a word to use. They obviously needed Max Norman to record those guitar parts.
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Cryptic Night wrote:
hansolo wrote:Sharon would of made Leo disappear... (Ha, ha - sorry Leo!) I do think it was ripped off Leo but it is funny how technical the finger-picking and chord structures are but it is so boring.
If I recall correctly, it's just a training exercise. Of course it's going to be boring.

+1
Thank you :)

That is exactly what it is; a training exercise, also called an etude or a study. How it sounds depends on the person performing it to be honest...i.e in the wrong hands Dee can also sound very boring.

Randy stole it, I have no doubt about that and I don't blame Brouwer for taking offence at this like he did. Ozzy and Randy would have done exactly the same if they had felt one of their song's had been lifted - I am positive of that.

I don't think if Randy had lived, Brouwer would have won, because he stole a chord progression and not a melody. The issue is a contentious one though because it is too much of an unusual chord progression to just 'stumble' upon by accident.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt