ZAKK WYLDE: The Best Thing For RANDY RHOADS Was Hookin' Up W

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

AndrewT1976
Madman

Re: ZAKK WYLDE: The Best Thing For RANDY RHOADS Was Hookin'

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Great post.

I still think BOO is a few steps above DOAMM. You can definitely tell a few tunes on DOAMM were "undercooked." Little Dolls and S.A.T.O are two of my favorites, but honestly, those songs could have been b-sides.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Great post.

I still think BOO is a few steps above DOAMM. You can definitely tell a few tunes on DOAMM were "undercooked." Little Dolls and S.A.T.O are two of my favorites, but honestly, those songs could have been b-sides.

I agree. I place BOO ahead of DOAMM. I love Little Dolls and S.A.T.O as well, but they are a little undercooked as you say. BOO is perfection. And pretty much every song on it is a classic.

Matt
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I have never liked "Little Dolls". I seldom even listen to it. I have always viewed DOAM as a much darker/heavier album. Randy wrote some heavy stuff without resorting to a dropped tuning. He really gets some bizarre sounding ripping solos on that record. I really can't give one the nod over the other.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Oh man, SATO is one of my favorite RR songs! I love that solo. It seems to me that he switches keys 3 times! Outstanding stuff from Randy for sure.

I feel that both albums had a bit of filler and that if you diced 2-3 songs from each album, you could put the remaining songs together and create a super album. From BOO, I wouldn't need No Bone Movies or Steal Away the Night. From DOAM, I wouldn't need Tonight, YCRR or Little Dolls. Put it all back together, slap the Diary guitar tone on there...perfection.
I remember in an interview, someone mentioned how unhappy Randy was with Little Dolls and how the "solo" on there was a scratch solo.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

NicDots wrote:Oh man, SATO is one of my favorite RR songs! I love that solo. It seems to me that he switches keys 3 times! Outstanding stuff from Randy for sure.

I feel that both albums had a bit of filler and that if you diced 2-3 songs from each album, you could put the remaining songs together and create a super album. From BOO, I wouldn't need No Bone Movies or Steal Away the Night. From DOAM, I wouldn't need Tonight, YCRR or Little Dolls. Put it all back together, slap the Diary guitar tone on there...perfection.
I remember in an interview, someone mentioned how unhappy Randy was with Little Dolls and how the "solo" on there was a scratch solo.
I agree about no bone movies and steal away the night (I love the music but there is something about the song I really don't like........thinking about it, it probably has more to do with the fact that back in the day of cassettes it always went into the drum solo on tribute...I HATE drum solo's....even if it was Lee :lol: and I had to flip the tape and rewind to suicide solution).....YCKRnR is possibly my favourite ozzy/randy song and little dolls to me is one of "bob's" best lyrics :mrgreen:
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

LOL, I'd kinda like to throw out there that Crazy Train is one of my lesser favorites. While I wouldn't axe it cause it has a great intro and solo...the rest of it I'm not too fond of. I do enjoy playing it on guitar though.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Its cool reading some of your guys opinions on BOO and DOAMM! My least fave on BOO is for sure No bone Movies. You looking at me should have made the album imo. What I find interesting is how even though both albums were written and recorded at pretty much the same time, they both stand apart and sound totally different. People keep talking about Randys tone being better on DOAMM. I don't think its nessesarily better, i think it just sounds different because the album is tuned down half a step.

Matt
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I prefer Randy's tone on BOO over DOAMM.

Here's how I'd rank my favorite Randy/Ozzy tunes:

1. Revelation (Mother Earth)
2. Diary of a Madman
3. Over the Moutain
4. Mr. Crowley
5. Tonight
6. Goodbye To Romance
7. Crazy Train (especially the live versions - seem to have a great flow)
8. You Lookin At Me/Lookin at You
9. You Said It All
10. I Don't Know
11. Suicide Solution
12. You Can't Kill Rock and Roll
13. SATO
14. No Bone Movies
15. Dee
16. Believer
17. Flying High Again
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I can't stand Flying High Again.

Whenever it comes on the radio, I change the station!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

AndrewT1976 wrote:I can't stand Flying High Again.

:shock:

HERETIC?
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

oth wrote:
AndrewT1976 wrote:I can't stand Flying High Again.

:shock:

HERETIC?

i dont like flying high again too, no bone movies for sure, suicide and steal away.

We played steal away with my band a couple of years ago. I didnt like that song but the guitar riff is real fun to play!!

SATO is a great underrated song

Mr crowley will always be special to me cuz, when i did hear the solos on this song, it make me a Randy fan and wanted to play guitar!!

The children of the grave solo on Tribute, another favorite
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

No more heretical than being tired of "Crazy Train" (which I am). In and of itself, it's a classic song. But it's never resonated with me as much as other Ozzy/Randy songs and hearing it 183,452 times has worn on me.

"Blizzard" does sound like the band had more time to get things together than "Diary". But I think the playing on "Diary", especially Randy's, sounds more confident, more polished (and not in a gleamy Def Leppard/Foreigner way). Lee Kerslake was fully in the band by "Diary" and helped to write the songs as opposed to joining the group with the songs of "Blizzard" pretty much written. There's a darker tint to "Diary", probably because 7 of the 8 songs are 1/2 step down, and it adds to the vibe.

That being said, everybody has their own tastes and preferences. I didn't used to like "No Bone Movies", but now it sounds to me like they were having a blast when recording it. I get the same type of vibe on "Steal Away". I especially like the solo transition and how they go back into the bridge and Randy's wailing high up on the neck. "Suicide Solution" is a much better live song than the studio version and I've never been that big a fan of "Goodbye to Romance" (although I do like the remix on the remasters that came out.)

I actually like "Little Dolls" for the lyrical content and the interlude before the chorus and solo. Not a huge fan of "You Can't Kill...." but I think "Tonight" is tremendous, and Randy's outro solo is one of my favorites (I can remember being 15 years old and cranking up my walkman on the long fadeout and just marveling at the performance. The piano on that track smokes). "Believer" is one of my favorites (although I think it's better live than studio) and I love the bridge where Randy's hammering the B Flat chord and doubling the same notes an octave apart from each other. I do realize the solo bears a striking resemblance to "Crowley" but it's still awesome to me.

The title track to "Diary" is still probably my favorite RR piece, but I like how "SATO" is layered: there are some crazy fills on that track. There's a similar vibe to "Over the Mountain" where Randy invokes (for me) the spirit of Hendrix and does some insane work on that break at the end of the solo. "Flying High" and "I Don't Know" are good songs, but I like them better live. "Crowley" and "Revelation" rip due to the classical element. And the Sabbath covers are solid, but only "Children" is exceptional to me.

But, as I said, it's all opinion!
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

i like flying high again.. but over the mountain is probably my favorite.. love tonight. the outro solo is one of the best on the album. i think doam was the better album.. but i like all the songs.. dont really dislike them. i play doam more then boo.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

DOAMM has more of a odd feel to it whereas BOO kinda captures the essence of late 70's rock at times (specifically Steal Away and No Bone Movies).

The only BOO songs that resemble anything on DOAMM are Revelation Mother Earth and Mr. Crowley.