Possible different take on the "Concorde"

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

roballyn

Possible different take on the "Concorde"

Post by roballyn »

I'm sure this may be a redundant question, but does anyone know if Randy was a Trekkie? After watching some 80's Star Trek movies, it dawned on me that Randy's Original Jackson bares an uncanny resemblance to a Star Fleet insignia. Compare the ones from the TV show and the movies to his guitar and tell me I'm wrong. I actually came to this conclusion some time ago, but was afraid my fellow Rhoadies might think of me as a complete geek. Guess i'm busted now!
SLAGER
Cool Member

Re: Possible different take on the "Concorde"

Post by SLAGER »

oh man, I just googled them to see and, gulp, you're right. but i gotta think its just a coincidence. i just gotta!
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Its not a coincidence. It's were Randy got the idea.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

the story has long been he got the idea from the concorde plane...
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I seriously doubt Randy was into Star Trek.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/63224- ... -Star-Trek

He was way to busy with teaching guitar and playing in a band. Too busy to watch Star Trek, that and he never ONCE said ANYTHING about Star Trek.

Also, he never came off to me as someone who would just sit in front of a T.V. and watch shows like Star Trek all day or something.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I swear I read something that it was indeed inspired by Star Trek. Can't remember where or what though. The only thing on the "concorde" that resembles the plane is the headstock. Why would it be so hard to believe that Randy was a Star Trek fan? The show debuted in the 60s. He would have had plenty of time to watch it from the 60's till the early 80s.

Matt
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Cryptic Night wrote:He was way to busy with teaching guitar and playing in a band. Too busy to watch Star Trek...
Also, he never came off to me as someone who would just sit in front of a T.V. and watch shows like Star Trek all day or something.
C'mon, I'm sure he had a life outside guitar too. Even a nerdy one. :lol:

Actually, I never understood what part of the concorde took shape in the guitar. Someone in your link (and Matt above) posted that it was the headstock & and that I see somehow (plane's nose). The body shape could very well be from Star Trek insignia, the resemblance is obvious!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Isodee wrote:C'mon, I'm sure he had a life outside guitar too. Even a nerdy one. :lol:
nah, he was pretty much a music nerd 8)
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Isodee wrote:
Cryptic Night wrote:He was way to busy with teaching guitar and playing in a band. Too busy to watch Star Trek...
C'mon, I'm sure he had a life outside guitar too. Even a nerdy one. :lol:

Actually, I never understood what part of the concorde took shape in the guitar. Someone in your link (and Matt above) posted that it was the headstock & and that I see somehow (plane's nose). The body shape could very well be from Star Trek insignia, the resemblance is obvious!
I believe that if you look at the plane at a certain angle it looks similar to it.

I remember Kelly Garni had a little contest on here about how the Concorde came to its shape, and I think the winner said it was because of the plane.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Kelly also said that Randy definitely did not get the idea from Star Trek...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

So how come when Randy was at the Jackson factory and his guitar body was being cut out. Remember he wanted a more pronouced off set shape V as he didn't like the idea of his original white V looking like a normal bog standard shaped flying V. So when the shape was being cut out on the band saw and as the second cut was being made into the V to remove the waste timber. Randy seen the shape he was happy with and it was made by pure accident. It is pure speculation and a coincidence that the Star trek symbol / badge is the same shape. It's like me saying he was into trains and he wanted the guitar to look like the front end of the 'Mallard' steam train. The concorde plane sounds more realistic..
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I have read somewhere that Randy got the V shape idea from Star Trek. Doesn't mean he was a Trekie and watched the show all the time. I don't... and i know what it looks like.

So maybe he did... maybe he didn't.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

The story as far as I'm aware has long been that it was from the Concorde Jet. You have to think as well, the Jet Airliner only came into service in 1976, so when Randy flew it in late '79/Early '80 to England, it would have been a very big deal. Business men could fly from London to New York or Vice Versa in the morning, do business etc and fly home that evening and be in their bed that night because of the Concorde.

I'd imagine the experience would have had an impact on Randy, flying in this 'futuristic' jet. I think it's makes a great idea for a guitar.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

plus why would they have called it the concorde? not pure coicedence.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

sik_kreations wrote:plus why would they have called it the concorde?
and paint it white