Which performances are on the Live CD?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Which performances are on the Live CD?

Post by hansolo »

True, I need to buy the box - I thought there would be so many no believers bailing! but no, it hasn't become cheaper, look on Amazon it's $190!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

dannyahansen wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:(this makes me think about what Dave T. said..... the show I suspect: May 22nd 1981 - Checkerdome, St. Louis, MO assuming Dave T. didn't talk crap]
My only issue with this is how Randy played some of the songs and the fills he use. Crazy Train and Steal Away the Night are the 2 best examples of a show that are played like they were from end of July through August. The earlier shows of Crazy Train have Randy's cool signature lick that he stopped playing in July/August. Also Randy played a lot of 8th notes in Crazy train at the beginning of the 81' tour (Except for After hours, but even then Randy plays his signature lick 2 times in that one). And some were in July started playing more 16th notes. That to me, is the dead give away, it also sounds a lot like Montreal and that was the end of July. There are other tell tell sighs in Crazy Train. I suggest all compare the Rhode Island boot to this new show. There is a lot that is similar in the format of the 2 shows as far as this song is concerned.

Now, at the 3:13 mark on Steal Away the Night, Randy plays a cool lick that I have only heard on the Rhode Island boot. And that was, I believe August 7th. '81. Also, according to a few at TK, in Rudy's book he mentions something about a recording of the Indianapolis Indiana and that Sharon had scheduled a recording for that day. That show was sometime in August of '81 and that fits the feel and format of this show. Good times.
The St. Louis 22nd 1981 - Checkerdome gig is pure speculation from my side based on what Dave Tangye said about 1981 pro-filming in New Jersey or St. Louis. I will start a thread about Dave T. in future about the possible pro-shot he mentioned, we really need to dig in that further.
dannyahansen wrote:That to me, is the dead give away, it also sounds a lot like Montreal and that was the end of July. There are other tell tell sighs in Crazy Train. I suggest all compare the Rhode Island boot to this new show. There is a lot that is similar in the format of the 2 shows as far as this song is concerned.
Now you say, the guitarsound on the live cd indeed reminds me a bit of the guitarsound from the Providence gig. So it can be very well from that time period.
dannyahansen wrote:Also, according to a few at TK, in Rudy's book he mentions something about a recording of the Indianapolis Indiana and that Sharon had scheduled a recording for that day. That show was sometime in August of '81 and that fits the feel and format of this show. Good times.
Forgot about that...., they played twice there in 1981:

May 18th - Indianapolis, IN
August 28th - Circle Theater, Indianapolis, IN

And like you say, at least we have confirmation by Rudy that they recorded the 2nd Indianapolis gig. So yes a lot of the songs can be indeed from the August 28th - Circle Theater, Indianapolis, IN show!
AceVader wrote:The more I listen, the more I'm convinced. The Spotlight Solo is not from the same gig as Suicide Solution. Different tone. And a very brief break in the noise.
Absolutely from a different show! They did the "Tribute" trick again, unneeded imo...
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

slobberface wrote:The outro for Tonight seemed like it was cut short on the doc, it sounded like the track they were listening to would abruptly just cut into different parts of the solo, some parts from what we already have and then some I haven't heard...Atleast what they showed on VH1 classic, I know with some documentaries they show on there they shorten parts and take out certain songs and stuff... I haven't seen the DVD yet so the entire solo could be on there, but you could tell with what they showed on VH1 that is was chopped...Has anyone seen the doc on VH1 and seen it on DVD and can clear this up?
The solo is cut on the DVD also.... But from the last point you can hear on the CD fade to the end of the song it is not cut. After the fade... Randy bends 2 notes then it did a quick concert ending and then over. So, long story short, we have pretty much had the full solo all these years after all. Just have to listen close to hear it as it fades out.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
The Flying Dutchman

Something I just noticed when listening to Crowley. This sounds maybe crazy but I have to mentioned it:
listen to the first 54 seconds of the Crowley keyboard intro, it's NOT the same sound as when the intro continues after 55 seconds. Suddenly there is lots more sizzle and presence. When listening to Manchester, Chelmford 1980 boots etc. there isn't a change in sound like that. The keyboard sound stays a bit duller during the whole intro there.
I think they took the first 54 seconds of the keyboard intro from the 1980 Southampton show and pasted that before the usual keyboard intro from a 1981 recording. Also after 54 seconds there is a significant pause in the keyboard intro that I don't hear on the 1980 boots we have.
I think the keyboard intro heard on the live cd is NOT from one and the same gig.

(am I over-analyzing this stuff ? Yes I am..... ! :P )
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: I think the keyboard intro heard on the live cd is NOT from one and the same gig.

I thought this the first time i heard it.

Also, the Tempo... its played really fast when it kicks into the main intro. I agree that its not the same gig. I have no problem with that. it makes it interesting for the general fan to hear something new.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Something I just noticed when listening to Crowley. This sounds maybe crazy but I have to mentioned it:
listen to the first 54 seconds of the Crowley keyboard intro, it's NOT the same sound as when the intro continues after 55 seconds. Suddenly there is lots more sizzle and presence. When listening to Manchester, Chelmford 1980 boots etc. there isn't a change in sound like that. The keyboard sound stays a bit duller during the whole intro there.
I think they took the first 54 seconds of the keyboard intro from the 1980 Southampton show and pasted that before the usual keyboard intro from a 1981 recording. Also after 54 seconds there is a significant pause in the keyboard intro that I don't hear on the 1980 boots we have.
I think the keyboard intro heard on the live cd is NOT from one and the same gig.

Isnt over-analyzing this stuff part of what makes this board fun?

I cant do it right now here at work but Im definitely curious now. I'll take a listen.
The Flying Dutchman

AceVader wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:(am I over-analyzing this stuff ? Yes I am..... ! :P )
Isnt over-analyzing this stuff part of what makes this board fun?

I cant do it right now here at work but Im definitely curious now. I'll take a listen.
Yeah, I guess so!
btw I made two copies....., the original stays home in my pc, one copy in my car and one copy at work!
So I always have a copy! :P
snowden7772

Live Disc from Diary Of A Madman Question

Post by snowden7772 »

Does anyone know what shows the live audio from Diary Of A Madman came from? Some of it seems familiar.
AceVader
Cool Member

Re: Live Disc from Diary Of A Madman Question

Post by AceVader »

Only one for sure is Flying High Again, it was from the Montreal show (KBFH). The rest, we cant really figure out. See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5938