Randy's White Marshall vs 1959RR

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

V-man

Re: Randy's White Marshall vs 1959RR

Post by V-man »

Stiltzkin wrote: bands did that back in the day too, so it's possible that this included Randy as well 8)
Definitely my contention for Smaller venue "B" shows with RR. I don't think he/they were using them as props merely for the sake of props, but more of a consistent stage setup that was used partially/completely to suit the needs of the venue. I think this would be especially true of the BOO tour with the insistence of the "all black stage" and the story of the taped backs of Randy's guitars. You'd think the white "props" would have been yanked if that was all they amounted to.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

V-man wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote: bands did that back in the day too, so it's possible that this included Randy as well 8)
Definitely my contention for Smaller venue "B" shows with RR. I don't think he/they were using them as props merely for the sake of props, but more of a consistent stage setup that was used partially/completely to suit the needs of the venue. I think this would be especially true of the BOO tour with the insistence of the "all black stage" and the story of the taped backs of Randy's guitars. You'd think the white "props" would have been yanked if that was all they amounted to.
i was @ a "B" show- corpus christi,tx. DOAM-mid feb of '82 & they were real amps & all were "on" but for a 3000 seat gig i doubt they were all running- i know only 1 was mic'd or maybe 2 for a wet/dry rig. there were no fake amps there-they didn't do them then. i was stage left behind the curtain- i know.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

I know for a fact Randy only owned 1 head and 2 cabinets thats all the family ever got back. And if you look at the blizzard session pics he's using a black jmp on 2 white cabs that was apparently rented-so who knows other than Pete Merton?
halorising

Post by halorising »

nope all six cabs and three heads are with Ms Rhoads
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

halorising wrote:nope all six cabs and three heads are with Ms Rhoads
He had 4 heads:

The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
halorising

Post by halorising »

I think Zack has the other black head
halorising

Post by halorising »

maby some zits too
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

halorising wrote:nope all six cabs and three heads are with Ms Rhoads
Glad to hear it :lol: I have it on video where I ask Kelle"how many cabinets and heads do you have in storage from Randy" he replied"Only the 2 cabinets and the one head is all we got back from the tour" I wasn't going to argue with him and he should know he just had the Jacksons out to get blueprinted and the LPC sohow could he not see them-they are kind of big :lol: Halo-how do you know Delores has the rest of the amps??? Just curious :?:
halorising

Post by halorising »

They were all brought out for the doc shoot
jimiforrest

Post by jimiforrest »

Considering some of the castle stage pics I've seen...I'd have to say that the backline was used as they were mic'd up. In the end, Randy's amp that he used as a monitor ended up as a side fill on the stage. I've seen several stage shots that show the half stacks on the side of the stage. If you watch the DOAM footage in the boxset...people were jammed up against the stage. There was no pit/barrier.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

jimiforrest wrote:Considering some of the castle stage pics I've seen...I'd have to say that the backline was used as they were mic'd up. In the end, Randy's amp that he used as a monitor ended up as a side fill on the stage. I've seen several stage shots that show the half stacks on the side of the stage. If you watch the DOAM footage in the boxset...people were jammed up against the stage. There was no pit/barrier.
i was referring to the rehearsals Rudy mentioned in the book.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

I would say the other 2 amps where spares and so where the cabs-Marshalls are finicky and can/will go down on you in the worst cases-RR may have used the white one some nights and a black one for others to give the tubes a little break-RR really needed spares as his sound was his biggest concern while touring and it would be hard for him to find a Good sounding Marshall say in Toledo Ohio..
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

i remember reading somewwhere that for the tours Randy only owned the 1 stack -black cascade modded head & the 2 white '82 anniversary cabs which are stenciled w/ his name(closest to tommy on B shows),the others were rentals.