Lemmy's Book

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Re: Lemmy's Book

Post by cableguyxx »

...and I'll add that, his playing has the very same affect on me today as it did back then. Diary sounds every bit as fresh as the day it was made. Goosebumps on the arms everytime the Tonight outro gets ripping, or during the OTM solo...or...I could go on and on. NOT becuase of Daisley's bass lines, or Lee's drumming or Ozzy's vocals...but because of Randy freakin' Rhoads' AWESOME guitar playing 8) :lol:
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Yes, there's bias here and there should be. It's a Randy site! I love me some Hendrix, Scorpions, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Django, Bessie Smith, Janes Addiction, Stevie wonder, Rush, Badlands, RHCP, Meatloaf, Primus, Tool, Faith no more and more but Randy's playing will always be the top. I can still be amazed by others but I love Randy's combination songs + energy + playing with great technique and feeling. Damn, when is this boxset coming out?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:...say what you want.
I always do, Matt.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing I say will convince you that my opinion has merit, and nothing you have said will change my opinion. I call it as I see it and you obviously see it differently. That's cool, I've always said that I respect people's right to have a different opinion and point of view.

Let's leave it at that, shall we?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

cableguyxx wrote:...and I'll add that, his playing has the very same affect on me today as it did back then. Diary sounds every bit as fresh as the day it was made. Goosebumps on the arms everytime the Tonight outro gets ripping, or during the OTM solo...or...I could go on and on. NOT becuase of Daisley's bass lines, or Lee's drumming or Ozzy's vocals...but because of Randy freakin' Rhoads' AWESOME guitar playing 8) :lol:
See, that's where I differ from many of you... I get bored with Ozzy's first two records because I've heard them forever. I get more excited by seeing the QR DVDs or hearing the demo of Suicide Solution because it's a different aspect of Randy Rhoads than the same old thing I've heard for so long. That's why I want to hear more of his lesson tapes or Bob's tapes... a new point of view for the guitarist I've admired for so long.

I must admit, though, I never get tired of Revelation (Mother earth)!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I can only agree with oth, cable' and Tito.

I remember listening to Led Zep' Pink Floyd and other bancs like Rainbow and Motorhead and then I was told to listen to Mr Crowley! I was stunned at how different and beautiful the playing was needless to say I went through every RR related thing I could find from then on and the passion hasn't faded.

RR brought something to music that hadn't been there before and as a drummer his playing brought out something in my playing, he is the only guitarist I have ever studied to improve my onw riffing and playing and I replicated some of his riffs and created drumming replicas. To listen you would never realise but it was RR that influenced my drumming and other drummer friends who took my advice and tried to apply his techniques.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:...say what you want.
I always do, Matt.
Good that is what the site is about!!! :lol: Say what you want about Randy Rhoads, the only threads that have been taken down, are by trolls (I think you know who), who have posted photos of the crash and bogus pictures of limbs. Obviously troll attacks are taken off, but not opinions on RR by the members :) We love talking about Randy the man here, not the omnipotent diety.
Paul Wolfe wrote: You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing I say will convince you that my opinion has merit, and nothing you have said will change my opinion. I call it as I see it and you obviously see it differently.
Actually, I am open to be convinced all the time of various things. An example, 3 years ago I didn't believe in Jesus, now I do. Why? Because my mind is open to everything I read and discuss with people. If a pupil asks me a question in a guitar lesson, or a friend about about my beliefs and I am unable to give a an answer...I don't get all 'pissy' with them and exasperated (because I can't answer), instead I quote an Ozzy song and say I am sorry, "I don't Know" ;) I am never ashamed not to know and quite like it to be honest!

Paul, If you could explain specifically the basis behind your statement, I could perhaps understand more. The best way would perhaps to be a poll (that would be very interesting anyway!) asking if people felt Randy was the only innovator on the guitar and no one else existed, or if there were a few in their opinion. Is that a good idea? I would be fascinated to see what the membership thought of that 8) :fish: I suppose it would also be like a census for the site, finding out the opinions of all the members.
Paul Wolfe wrote: Let's leave it at that, shall we?
I know you are a sensitive soul, so just in case the cold written word didn't/doesn't convey that, I always enjoy your views and have agreed, disagreed learned, laughed at your great humour! So pm me if you do want the poll or if not, no problem let the Randy train keep a rollin!!!!!! :P :shock: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

I get tired of listening to just about every album out there (EXCEPT BOO, DOAM, & TRIBUTE). Randy Rhoads is the gift that just keeps on giving, 30 years plus!!!
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

zennman wrote:I get tired of listening to just about every album out there (EXCEPT BOO, DOAM, & TRIBUTE). Randy Rhoads is the gift that just keeps on giving, 30 years plus!!!
+1 Agree 100%
Its been 18 years for me and those albums still stay in my car. They do not age.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

Ok, disrespectful as hell that he misspelled Randy RHOADS name. And "he wasn't the great innovator he was later made out to be." What a dumb ass! Lemmy shouldn't even talk. I don't consider him to be an innovator at all. And his music? The only decently good song he did was Ace of Spades. Ok and the music with Ozzy... He should pull his head out of his ass because he doesn't have a damn clue what he is talking about! Lemmy I'm gonna leave you with a quote from the great John Candy "Take this quarter, go down town, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!" or those things....
Ozzmosis

Post by Ozzmosis »

Whipper wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before here, but I'm quite surprised to hear what Lemmy says about Randy in his autobiography, "White Line Fever", not to mention the fact that he spells his name wrong:
Randy Rhodes was Ozzy's guitarist back then, and he was a much bigger deal. I believe he'd been writing songs with Ozzy. My big memory of him, however, was that he was terrible at Asteroids, so I wound up beating him at Asteroids all the way across America. I was quite friendly with Randy so I found it a terrible shame when he died in a plane crash a year later. Nevertheless, I have to say he wasn't the guitar player he became after his death. As with Bob Calvert, a guy who was more or less ignored during his lifetime suddenly become a huge genius. Randy was a good player, to be sure, but he wasn't the great innovator he was later made out to be. God knows what people will say about me after I'm gone!
:shock:
Ok, disrespectful as hell that he misspelled Randy RHOADS name. And "he wasn't the great innovator he was later made out to be." What a dumb ass! Lemmy shouldn't even talk. I don't consider him to be an innovator at all. And his music? The only decently good song he did was Ace of Spades. Ok and the music with Ozzy... He should pull his head out of his ass because he doesn't have a damn clue what he is talking about! Lemmy I'm gonna leave you with a quote from the great John Candy "Take this quarter, go down town, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!" or those things....
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Lemmys brain is fried--Randy did more in his few years on this earth than Lemmy has for his whole life..Randy also was a humble and decent guy which is something I do not get from Lemmy..
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I definitely share the same feelings with that odd comment that lemmy makes. Could you imagine if he didn't like Randy. Does he think John lennon wasn't a great song writer till he was killed?
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Lemmy has a legendary character but thats it.All the hype about him is about his drinking,groupies blah,blah...The documentary about him just glorifies his alcoholic ways.Its funny but not admirable at all.Pathetic comes to my mind.His music is ok for what it is but it is stratospheres below RR calibre.Im surprised as a songwriter and musician he is not cognizant of RR's talent.Its quite an ignorant comment probably manifested from his alcoholism.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

For Randy to be influenced by others and to still sound like Randy is not just a 'good' player to me-that's a brilliant player.
'He wasn't the guitar player he became after death'-I don't believe that. His profile and influence would have become larger had he lived. If Randy hadn't died his presence would also have lessened the impact of various guitarists who followed him, given the rate he was progressing at. eg. Malmsteen and Vai started to get serious international attention in 1985-86. Imagine where Randy would have been by then! The same applies to the rest of Ozzy's guitarists-if they thought competing with a dead man is tough well I wonder how hard it would've been had he lived.

If Lemmy is comparing Rhoads to Hendrix as not being as innovative then that makes sense, but in terms of what was happening in the early 80s his sound was unique. I remember getting music mags from both England and America and the guitar heros that got talked about most were Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Gary Moore, and Michael Schenker and Randy Rhoads was being touted as 'the next big thing', particularly after Day on the Green. He was seen as being in the top 10 rock guitarists on the planet while still alive, so I'm wondering who Lemmy was comparing him to when just calling him 'good'.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i think lemmy bieng from england saw a young american trying to find himself..lets face it the best musicians/bands come from england,,,,so lemmy saw a young kid coming into his own while having already heard plenty of guitarists using the classical style in metal.randy wasnt the first to incorporate classical in metal..blackmore roth shenker were the innovators...and they werent form california..so this is the view i think he is looking at....i would like to see what lemmy says about evh...