why did randy prefer small frets?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

thepolkadots

why did randy prefer small frets?

Post by thepolkadots »

Anyone have any insight as to why Randy Rhoads prefered small fret wire?

Why not jumbo?

Is it easy to play fast on small frets?

but, isn't bending easier on jumbo?

and don't small ones wear out so much faster than jumbos requiring more refrets?

pros & cons?
Lespauly
Cool Member

Re: why did randy prefer small frets?

Post by Lespauly »

Randy had a very lite touch when playing-as said by Rudy Sarzo-and he would not require jumbo frets-small frets probally allowed for a very low string height and this was more comfortable to play--RR probally played several hours a day..Just my thoughts as I have some guitars with jumbo frets and my 2 les paul customs have the small frets. The LPs are more comfortable to play..
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

i never thought of that allowing you to have a lower action, but i guess it would. i've been playing jumbos for years, may switch to small wire and see how different it feels.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Smaller frets require less pressure to fret, and dont go out of tune as easily when chording. Why Randy preferred them I am not too sure, but I would speculate that because he was a small guy he likely had small hands, and it likely made it easier for him on those long stretches while playing certain things. If you try to play something that really stretches your fretting hand, notice how you tend to press harder on the fretboard with those fingers? It can make it go out of tune because pressing the string down is the same as bending it, you're pulling it tighter. Just a guess as to a possibility. LesPauly is correct, I agree that it is also generally easier to play fast on smaller frets. It feels smoother and you're able to get lower action.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

ace vader pretty much hit the nail on the head. i lave big hands & certain bar chords can sound slightly out of tune w/ more pressure when playing jumbo frets. also,smaller frets feel faster.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Yngwie has giant hands and a scalloped fretboard
which is VERY pressure sensitive!
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

Stiltzkin wrote:Yngwie has giant hands and a scalloped fretboard
which is VERY pressure sensitive!

yeah, i can't even play a scalloped fretboard. a friend did that to his sg & it was impossible for me.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Didnt Randy say how he prefered small frets???I seem to emember hearing him say that??
I dont know if it was the Guitar Seminar in Pa or an interview w/John StiX but I think he had small hands & played very smooth & w/seemingly very little effort.When you play so often your gonna develop speed & I'd think the smaller frets the smoother ???
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

I wonder if it was the same reason I prefer them now... i can't stand how the jumbo frets "grab" my fingers when doing slides!! It's like trying to slide up a washboard on my Jackson compared to slides on my Les Paul, which go much more smoothly for me. I really don't see any advantage to the jumbo wire either.... apparently, the additional mass of larger frets are supposed to gives the note more power, but I'm not hearing it.
Ric