Chip Pan

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ammalato

Re: Chip Pan

Post by ammalato »

Axeman,

if you're seriously considering building your own effect board I HIGHLY suggest you begin reading up on the various DIY Effects sites. I have built MANY stompboxes over the years and it is a very intricate science. One that can not be explained casually in a non-tech site like this one. If terms like 3PDT are foreign to you check out some of the following...

Www.generalguitargadgets.com
www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com
www.tonepad.com
www.ditstompboxes.com
www.buildyourownclone.com

if you want my opinion, you DO NOT want to build an exact replica of Randy's board. It is grotesquely oversized by today's standards, ha many technical problems as we all know, and is very outdated by today's standards. Beyond that, the MXR effects randy used are simply not avaialable any longer. The current MXR reissues bear little resemblance to the originals and if you're goin to go that route getting all the vintage MXR pedals will easily cost upwards of $2000 alone. Forget the custom enclosure and wiring. Plus Randy's tone came more from his guitar, amp and hands.

If you still must have it...I wish you the best of luck. I don't think anyone in history has an exact clone.
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

ammalato wrote:Axeman,

if you're seriously considering building your own effect board I HIGHLY suggest you begin reading up on the various DIY Effects sites. I have built MANY stompboxes over the years and it is a very intricate science. One that can not be explained casually in a non-tech site like this one. If terms like 3PDT are foreign to you check out some of the following...

http://Www.generalguitargadgets.com
http://www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com
http://www.tonepad.com
http://www.ditstompboxes.com
http://www.buildyourownclone.com

if you want my opinion, you DO NOT want to build an exact replica of Randy's board. It is grotesquely oversized by today's standards, ha many technical problems as we all know, and is very outdated by today's standards. Beyond that, the MXR effects randy used are simply not avaialable any longer. The current MXR reissues bear little resemblance to the originals and if you're goin to go that route getting all the vintage MXR pedals will easily cost upwards of $2000 alone. Forget the custom enclosure and wiring. Plus Randy's tone came more from his guitar, amp and hands.

If you still must have it...I wish you the best of luck. I don't think anyone in history has an exact clone.

The old original MXR pedals are all over the place. There is a huge market for them. Randy had 4 MXR pedals, no way they would cost $2000.

MXR Flanger Original 70's - Will go for $100-$150
MXR- Chorus - $110-$150
MXR Script D+ - $175 - $200
MXR 10EQ - Blue Originals are going for about $40-$50
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

Perhaps $2k for the MXR's was a bit on the high side but remember Randy also had a Roland Space Echo off board that will cost you a pretty penny, a those organ wah which isn't worth much and I've seen distortion + as high as $300. Plus. His custom enclosure had a special power supply running all of those pedals (back then they didn't have power jacks), and god knows what else. I for some reason was thinking he had more script MXR pedals (dyna comp, phase 90, etc) which will definately run the total up.
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Those Thomas Organ wah pedals are indeed fetching high $$$$$ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622
................................................................Image...............................................................................
guntervent

Post by guntervent »

Remember that being patient is the first Lesson in Teaching!
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

i thot he had a thomas organ wah not a vox v846?
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

That picture isn't correct. The chain is wrong on it. The volume would go at the end, so take that picture with a grain of salt.

Also, he had a cry baby wah.. Now, what BRAND that wah was, has been debated...

Cry Baby wahs are not a brand, they are a type of wah.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
guntervent

Post by guntervent »

The first pedal ever created was by Warwick Electronics Inc./Thomas Organ Company in November 1966; this pedal is the original prototype wah-wah pedal made from a transistorized MRB (mid-range boost) potentiometer bread-boarded circuit and the housing of a Vox Continental Organ volume pedal.

The creation of the wah-wah pedal was actually an accident which stemmed from the re-design of the Vox Super Beatle guitar amplifier in 1966. Warwick Electronics Inc./Thomas Organ Company had bought the Vox name due to the brand name's popularity and association with the Beatles. Warwick Electronics Inc. also owned Thomas Organ Company and had assigned Thomas Organ Company to create a new product line called the all-electric Vox Amplifonic Orchestra, the project was headed by musician and bandleader Bill Page. While creating the Vox Amplifonic Orchestra, the Thomas Organ Company needed to re-design the Vox amplifier into a transistorized solid state amplifier, rather than tube, which would be less expensive to manufacture. During the re-design of the USA Vox amplifier, Stan Cuttler, head engineer of Thomas Organ Company, assigned Brad J. Plunkett, a junior electronics engineer, to replace the expensive Jennings 3-position MRB circuit switch with a transistorized solid state MRB circuit.

Brad Plunkett had lifted and bread-boarded a transistorized tone-circuit from the Thomas Organ (an electric solid state transistorized organ) to duplicate the Jenning 3-position circuit. After adjusting and testing the amplifier with an electronic oscillator and oscilloscope, Plunkett connected the output to the speaker and tested the circuit audibly. At that point, several engineers and technical consultants, including Bill Page and Del Casher, noticed the sound effect caused by the circuit. Bill Page insisted on testing this bread-boarded circuit while he played his saxophone through an amplifier. John Glennon, an assistant junior electronics engineer with the Thomas Organ Company, was summoned to bring a volume control pedal which was used in the Vox Continental Organ so that the ‘transistorized MRB potentiometer bread-boarded circuit' could be installed in the pedal's housing. After the installation, Bill Page began playing his saxophone through the pedal and had asked Joe Banaron, CEO of Warwick Electronics Inc./Thomas Organ Company to listen to the effect. At this point the first electric guitar was plugged into the prototype wah-wah pedal by guitarist Del Casher who suggested to Joe Banaron that this was a guitar effects pedal rather than a wind instrument effects pedal. Joe Banaron, being a fan of the big band style of music, was interested in marketing the wah-wah pedal for wind-instruments as suggested by Bill Page rather than the electric guitar suggested by Del Casher. After a remark by Del Casher to Joe Banaron regarding the Harmon mute style of trumpet playing in the famous recording of "Sugar Blues" from the 1930s, Joe Banaron decided to market the wah-wah pedal using Clyde McCoy's name for endorsement.

After the initial invention of the wah-wah pedal, the prototype pedal was then modified by Del Casher and Brad Plunkett to better accommodate the harmonic qualities of the electric guitar. However, since Vox had no intention of marketing the wah-wah pedal for electric guitar players, the prototype wah-wah pedal was given to Del Casher for performances at Vox press conferences and film scores for Universal Pictures. The un-modified version of the Vox wah-wah pedal was released to the public in February 1967 with an image of Clyde McCoy on the bottom of the pedal.

Warwick Electronics Inc. assigned Lester L. Kushner, an engineer with the Thomas Organ Company, and Bradley J. Plunkett to create and submit the documentation for the Wah-Wah pedal patent. The patent was submitted on February 24, 1967 which included technical diagrams of the pedal being connected to a four-stringed "guitar" (as noted from the "Description of the Preferred Embodiment"). Warwick Electronics Inc. was granted US patent 3530224 (foot-controlled continuously variable preference circuit for musical instruments) on September 22, 1970.

Early versions of the Clyde McCoy featured an image of McCoy on the bottom panel, which soon gave way to only his signature. Thomas Organ then wanted the effect branded as their own for the American market, changing it to Cry Baby which was sold in parallel to the Italian Vox V846. Thomas Organ's failure to trademark the Cry Baby name soon led to the market being flooded with Cry Baby imitations from various parts of the world, including Italy, where all of the original Vox and Cry Babys were made.[1] Jen, who had been responsible for the manufacture of Thomas Organ and Vox wah pedals also made rebranded pedals for companies such as Fender, Gretsch and under their own Jen brand. When Thomas Organ moved production completely to Sepulveda, California and Chicago, Illinois these Italian models continued to be made and are among the more collectible wah pedals today.
Remember that being patient is the first Lesson in Teaching!
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

i am still wondering how he replaced the pedal switches with boss looking pedal switches?
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Randy didn't do it... So you know... Pete "Pedalboard" Holmes apparently made the board.

And it wouldn't be that hard to replace the switches if you know what you are doing. As far as I know, when Pete was making the board he took out the insides of the pedals and put them in the board, so he just had to wire them up so they are activated with boss style switches. I imagine that wouldn't be very hard....
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

yeah i guess, but where could i buy those style of switches?
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Look on google, or buy a bunch of really cheap boss pedals... Your choice.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

idk what to search what would you call them because i know that not only boss uses those, i would like to know the actual name for the switch part
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Stomp box?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i got a question i been wondering for a while..how did max get rid of all the noise randys board made??