Randy Rhoads & Buckethead

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

chuck and jimi are not genius's. randy and buckethead are.
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

This is him from an ad that used to run in "Guitar for the practicing musician" magazine in the 80's.
ImageImage
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

If I'm not mistaken... Chuck Berry invented the "Guitar Solo", so in his own right, he is a genius...

and as for Jimi Hendrix, you listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Vai, Joe Satrani, list goes on and on, and you bet you'll find
SOME influence from Jimi, which can define him as a genius to inspire so many guitarists.

Randy and Buckethead are good players in their own right, but to be honest all four musicians are good with what they do.

Randy = fusing blues, metal and classical together.
Jimi = Showing how to get the best out of a guitar, controlled feedback, dips and dives, sounds unheard of previously.
Chuck = Giving us Johnny B Goode, that is a classic, even Marty Mcfly loved it :P
Buckethead = Theatrical character, providing us one of music's mysteries and showing that theres still things on guitar yet to be heard.

Simon
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

demon wrote:chuck and jimi are not genius's. randy and buckethead are.
Dang. Take that, Alex! :lol:
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

it was not an attack against alex. thats what i feel. jimi is way overated and chuck isnt that good. my opinion.
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i agree demon..jimi and chuck only played what they grew up with..blues.jimi took it to the extreme and amplified it while chuck duck walked while playing..i love a lot of jimi's songs but to say he was a genius is like you said way overrated..along with jimmy page way overrated...it doesnt mean that what they did wasnt awesome..
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Phineas J wrote:Buckethead is a genius.
Reminds me of KISS in a lot of ways.
KISS is great on so many levels. Their early music was awesome. Yes they had their Spinal Tap moments, but the fundamentals of Kissology are strong.

Let's not lump this guy with the greats. Let's lump this guy with Slipknot & company...
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

JustTakeAPebble wrote:If I'm not mistaken... Chuck Berry invented the "Guitar Solo", so in his own right, he is a genius...
Actually Simon the first "hit" song to feature the guitar solo was by Ernest Tubb in 1940 with a song called Walking the floor over you , but guys like Charlie Christian were ripping it up at the same time with improv jazz solo's .

Chuck Berry did'nt hit the scene 'till 1953 .. :wink:
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

demon wrote:it was not an attack against alex. thats what i feel. jimi is way overated and chuck isnt that good. my opinion.
No, I know it wasn't. :lol: I just thought it was funny for some reason.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

ok?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Ok.
krandall

Post by krandall »

Tito wrote:i agree demon..jimi and chuck only played what they grew up with..blues.jimi took it to the extreme and amplified it while chuck duck walked while playing..i love a lot of jimi's songs but to say he was a genius is like you said way overrated..along with jimmy page way overrated...it doesnt mean that what they did wasnt awesome..
Randy should be more known and Jimi in no way has ever been overated,Jimi is Jimi and his playing was way beyond the blues and his way of playing cannot be compaired to player's of today,the styles are very different,now sure there have been some 80's shred guys saying Hendrix wasn't that great but then there has been no one who can play Jimi's stuff better than him to make him sound obsolete or not very good,sure many player's today can play faster but that's not better it's different,when someone can come along and play Jimi better than Jimi like doing Jimi's Machine Gun solo or woodstock solo better than Jimi then maybe but that will never happen ,maybe close or sorta Jimi with fast shred licks but there's a gazillion shred players out there but there's only one Jimi,one Randy,there's imitators and innovators-Jimi and Randy were innovators. some may even feel that Randy's playing isn't that technical by today's standards but the difference is Jimi and Randy had a certain fire in their playing that no one has touched,duplicated or surpassed,sure any kid can go buy the video's and tab books and learn the licks and sure there are many who can play randy note for note or very close but then when you listen to Randy or jimi you hear that extra something that sets then apart,Randy to me should be more well known, sure many can come close to playing sorta like jimi and randy but then if they can make music as good or better than jimi and Randy then i will be a believer that they are on their level or better and that hasen't happened yet and it's very unlikely it will because they did their thing and were extrodinary and left their mark and smoke and mirror player's will come and go and sure there are great player's today but ones like Jimi and Randy come only once in a life time(grins). I still have the Burbank newspaper with Randy's obituary and in it it states that Randy could have easily became the next Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton,yes considering Randy only was here for short time and less than Jimi he sure left his mark,he should be more famous.
www.krmusicalproducts.com
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

try paragraphs..... jk
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

ken01fan wrote:This is him from an ad that used to run in "Guitar for the practicing musician" magazine in the 80's.
ImageImage
Um, are his fingers really that long??