Which album?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RockyRhoads

Post by RockyRhoads »

RhoadsOliva wrote:Well you see why Randy's Mother never rereleased QRI and QRII because they didnt show Randy's potential. Honestly you really cant compare QR and Ozzy. (Well QR in popish times..) Apples to orange mate

Cheers, John
I think that QR 1 and 2 showed all the potential in the world. He was young and it shows in his playing.

Now this might piss off some folks, but I don't think Delores Rhoads has enough respect for Randy's fans. She doesn't like the first two records, but her son put a lot of effort into writing those songs and did the best he could on the records.

A large majority of Randy's fans are adults who can distinguish between the formative years in Quiet Riot and the maturity of the playing on the Ozzy records. I think the best thing Delores could do to show the genius of her son to the world would be to release a box set retrospective of everything he's done. Kelly Garni has tapes of Randy prior to QR and Bob Daisley has demos of the Ozzy stuff. Include a written commentary of Randy's influences at the time of each recording and you'd gain incredible insight into Randy Rhoads the musician and the person. Without something of that nature all we get now are Guitar Worls issues describing Randy's first escapades with girls and Rudy Sarzo paraphrasing old interview.

As for the question of which record, I feel Blizzard is the best because I believe Revelation and Mr. Crowley are the best pieces he ever wrote. I prefer the QR live videos when it comes to listening to Randy's playing, because all the Ozzy boots sound the same to me. They sound like Randy on auto-pilot, but the QR shows sound like a kid who was inspired and having a good time.
Last edited by RockyRhoads on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdelgadillo

Diary of a Madman

Post by mdelgadillo »

I think RR is on his peak
RockyRhoads

Re: Diary of a Madman

Post by RockyRhoads »

mdelgadillo wrote:I think RR is on his peak
huh?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diary of a Madman

Post by Trigger »

mdelgadillo wrote:I think RR is on his peak
I think mdelgadillo meant to add the words......

Diary Of A madman, I think RR is on his peak

(DOAM was the subject title)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
THE Gillis Girl

Post by THE Gillis Girl »

I think I have to agree with DOAM and Tribute.

Stephanie
<3 <3 <3
THE Gillis Girl
RockyRhoads

Post by RockyRhoads »

I think Tribute is okay, but I can't listen to it all the time. Randy sounds like he's going through the motions and is a bit lost on that record. It's like he can't think of anything to do so he hits the same harmonic squeal over and over and over and over...

I much prefer boots such as the 1980 Chelmsford Odeon (10/22/80) - Randy sounds vibrant and full of energy - as does the rest of the band.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I have to say Tribute. It would be even better if they had managed to squeeze Diary of a Madman and Over The Mountain in though.
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

Firstly, we have to look at the priorities of the albums. QRI/QRII were made by what i call "A local band" who were not well known in America but only known over in Japan. So it was just four young lads knocking out an album and therefore, very little thought will have gone into it in my opinon. Even though there are some brilliant tracks on QRI and II quite a few are not particuarly good. Now lets look at Ozzy's first album with Randy, Blizzard. Being that Ozzy was a 30+ year old drug addict who was known the world over, priorities changed drastically. Being over in England, Randy was not teaching his students, and therefore had a lot of time to kill. He probably spent it making the album.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:Being over in England, Randy was not teaching his students, and therefore had a lot of time to kill. He probably spent it making the album.
Very true, England is very boring believe me :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:Being over in England, Randy was not teaching his students, and therefore had a lot of time to kill. He probably spent it making the album.
Randy also had Bob and Lee to help with the arrangements. It's amazing how much a song can change when someone says, "How about if you play that part twice and then add a bridge before going into the solo?" An outside opinion is sometimes all that is needed to change a good song into a classic.

They also had a tendency to play the songs at the local pub to get audience reaction.

With Quiet Riot, they were playin '70's glam style stuff because their managment was pushing their direction, and probably paying for the studio time. The man withthe money often has a bit of input into the final product. Those songs sound A LOT better live.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Of course I like the albums. But for 99% of the time I listen to the boots.
Even for Tribute I rather listen to the unedited Cleveland / Montreal show.
And of all those boots I like the spring/summer '81 live playing best. To me his '82 sound was too muddy. For instance listen to that chromatic muted part in the I don't know solo, all the attack in his tone seems to be gone.... Also his playing comes over to me as if he was not as inspired than in 1981. Maybe it's because at that time he wanted to leave that 'circus' then? Just guessing, but I think to hear because of the way he played then that he was not happy anymore..... even if hadn't know all what happened behind the scenes I would feel the same. Just a matter of taste of course, some people like his '82 playing best, but not me.

His way of playing those songs live with all that fire in combination with that great sound in 1981 spring/summer that's the Randy I like to hear! 8)

And it's about time for a good video documentation ('Day on the Green') of that period. :twisted:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Flying Dutchman wrote:Of course I like the albums. But for 99% of the time I listen to the boots.
Even for Tribute I rather listen to the unedited Cleveland / Montreal show.
And of all those boots I like the spring/summer '81 live playing best. To me his '82 sound was too muddy. For instance listen to that chromatic muted part in the I don't know solo, all the attack in his tone seems to be gone.... Also his playing comes over to me as if he was not as inspired than in 1981. Maybe it's because at that time he wanted to leave that 'circus' then? Just guessing, but I think to hear because of the way he played then that he was not happy anymore..... even if hadn't know all what happened behind the scenes I would feel the same. Just a matter of taste of course, some people like his '82 playing best, but not me.

His way of playing those songs live with all that fire in combination with that great sound in 1981 spring/summer that's the Randy I like to hear! 8)

And it's about time for a good video documentation ('Day on the Green') of that period. :twisted:

I agree with you 100% FD in fact I know I couldn't have said it better. Like you I listen to the boots and hardly ever listen to the albums I find them to lack the energy that the boots have. 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

To be quite honest, it's silly to have someone pick a favorite RR album between QR and Ozzy. His playing with QR compared to his music with Ozzy is like night and day.

I like to think of the QR records as his formative years, just getting into the big band thing and having fun, and his Ozzy stuff as more serious "Let's show everyone what we're made of" type music.

Of course his music is more enjoyable and his playing is better on the Ozzy records, yet his stuff with QR is fun to listen to as well. But around 95% of people will more than likely say they like an Ozzy album better.

To answer the question:
DOAM was my favorite, he was better, more skilled, and faster, heavier and louder.
strat2tele1

Post by strat2tele1 »

Diary of a Madman and Tribute
moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

I have to say Tribute. It really shows what he's made of.