Randy Rhoads: The Blizzard King

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

Another great post! Glad to see a flame free thread about Randy being a human being.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Firsly jokes aside it is indeed a pleasure to discuss things like this, as Craig has pointed out with no flaming etc

I remember reading the autopsy found only nicotine in his blood. How long does it take for 'other substances' to leave any trace in the system? I wonder if he had knocked any recreational activities on the head nearer the end of his short life?

I wonder also when he expressed boredom of the rock and rol lifestyle, did he also mean the expected indulgence in this kind of thing.

Off The Ralis mentions a very knowing incident of Randy with Ozzy trashing his hotel room, only to afterwards say to Rudy that he was more or less going along with the chaos and wanted out.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Paiste, I have been shocked once again. Drew doing coke? LOL But seriously, Drew was very Angelic in his ways, and academically was probably at the top of our class. Very smart man.I remember his Mom expressing her concern, when Drew decided to leave University and go with the band. I told her , "Drew is so smart, I don't think you have anything to worry about, he'll make the right choices". Surprising as it may be, I never indulged. Mostly because I had so many friends that did ,and the affect it had on them was scary. I'm sure that Randy was around enough people that got screwed up too. When you love something as much as he loved his music and his guitar you make a choice. Pure speculation of course, but I think when Randy worked wit Ozzy, it was a real eye opener for him. Knowing what type of family Randy came from and the community he grew up in, I think he did get wary of the "Rock and Roll" lifestyle. He had accomplished one of his dreams, and was ready to move on with life. Bin there done that, next dream please! His mom did say in the Japanese Documentary, that Randy had requested Delores to look into University here and to start getting the paper work together. I truly believe that was his next goal. "Mamas Little Angels", hardly. Like I have said before what boy or man is not naughty.

Matt, wasn't Tony Montana a bassist for the 90's band "Great White!" LOL Cheers!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

what a great pun!! LMAO

Great white (coke) mixed with the Cuban drug lords name!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

I have never been in a position to judge a man for what he does or does not do. Yet, I think the lyrics, in the following quote, are real deep and artistic.
"Snowblind"

What you get and what you see
Things that don't come easily
Feeling happy in my vein
Icicles within my brain
(cocaine)

Something blowing in my head
Winter's ice, it soon will spread
Death would freeze my very soul
Makes me happy, makes me cold

My eyes are blind but I can see
The snowflakes glisten on the tree
The sun no longer sets me free
I feel there's no place freezing me

Let the winter sun shine on
Let me feel the frost of dawn
Fill my dreams with flakes of snow
Soon I'll feel the chilling glow

Don't you think I know what I'm doing
Don't tell me that it's doing me wrong
You're the one who's really a loser
This is where I feel I belong

Crystal world with winter flowers
Turns my day to frozen hours
Lying snowblind in the sun
Will my ice age ever come?
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Six_Strung_Out, I mean no disrespect to you when I say this song has nothing to do with who Randy was as a person, or what he did in his life. This was written in Ozzy's period with Black Sabbath, and with Tony Iommi. They all had major cocaine addition problems. It has everything to do with their lives, not Randy's. Randy dd not have that kind of a problem ever. He may have tried it, like most people back in the day,. No one is in the position to judge a person by what they do or do not do, and I am not offended by your choice to post that song. I just think a more thoughtful choice would have be appropriate. I know in my heart who he was!, and this song does not describe his being or soul. Cheers!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't think he was necessarily referring to Randy; I think he was just speaking about cocaine in general and people in general.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

One thing that has always puzzled me, in the after thoughts of what went on after the plane crash. When it came out years later that Tommy Aldridge had decided it was best for everyone on the bus if he got rid of Andrew Aycock's stash of cocaine that was hiding in the drivers console. From what Tommy has said, he scattered it in the woods. But it was a large amount enough for the whole bus to have a good party. Did he do this so not to make out the whole bus liked a sniff ?. Or did he not want the cops to find out that Andy Aycock was fueled up on drugs while flying the plane. Because in hind sight Tommy was destroying evidence to the pilot of the plane being under the influence. I know under the circumstances he didn't want the whole band being arrested for drug related issues. It was bad enough that they had to go through the trauma of the crash and the loss of 3 lives. I'm surprised that Tommy ever mentioned it in the first place ?.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

NicDots wrote:I don't think he was necessarily referring to Randy; I think he was just speaking about cocaine in general and people in general.
Thanks. I was just philosophizing about drugs and society in general terms.

The fact that Ozzy was the singer in the cited song "Snowblind" was a easy analogy.

I could have picked this song by Eric Clapton that is played publicly much more than Snowblind:
If you wanna hang out
You've gotta take her out
Cocaine
If you wanna get down
Get down on the ground
Cocaine

She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE

If you got that lose
You wanna kick them blues
Cocaine
When your day is done
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine

She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE

If your day is gone
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine
Don't forget this fact
You can't get it back
Cocaine

She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE

She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE
Cocaine has destroyed many lives. It bothers me personally that lyrics use such a drug as a theme of their songs. Yet, again, I cannot judge the artist or listener.

I never met Randy Rhoads. I only hope that he did not fall for that old saying: "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

RR Fish, you're so spot on. Drew was just brilliant. He was a geek in many ways but a very cool geek. Drew really only left UCLA to do the QR gig because of Randy. I remember Drew had a really cool friend named Guy and he was always friendly to me. Drew knows so much about sound and electronics and accoustics. Hell he converted the garage he had in the duplex into a studio. But he was a great teacher and friend. I am glad he is doing so well for himself.