Interesting article on Randy I found

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NoQuattro
Cool Member

Interesting article on Randy I found

Post by NoQuattro »

Browsing through my school library's online journal selection, I managed to come across a journal article about the combination of heavy metal and classical virtuosity. Our boy Randy is talked about pretty extensively, and the author explains some theory and technique. Below is a sample.

"Rhoads and Osbourne's 'Mr. Crowley' (1981) also begins with synthesised organ, playing a cyclical harmonic progression modelled on Vivaldi. The minor mode, the ominous organ and the fateful cyclicism, culminating in a suspension, set up an affect of mystery and doom. The sung verses and first guitar solo of 'Mr. Crowley' are supported by a metal-inflected Baroque harmonic progression: Dm | Bb | C | Dm B Bb | Em7b5 I Asus4 | A. The move from Bb back up through C (bVI-bVII-I) is uncharacteristic of Baroque music (where bVI usually resolves to V), but it frequently occurs in metal, where it normally functions in an aggressive and dark Aeolian mood.

The progression that underpins Rhoads' 'outro' (the opposite of 'intro') solo at the end of the song is similar, but it is a more straightforward Vivaldian circle of fifths progression: Dm I Gm7 C I F | Bb | Em7b5 | ASUS4 | A. Until classically-influenced heavy metal, such cyclical progressions were very unusual in rock and soul music, which had been fundamentally blues-based.

The classical influence contributed to a greater reliance on the power of harmonic progression to organise desire and narrative, as well as the turn towards virtuosic soloing. The circle of fifths progression was picked up by metal because it sounds archaic, directional and thus fateful. Rhoads' first solo in 'Mr. Crowley' is a frantic scramble against the inevitability of the harmonic pattern. The second rides the wave of harmonic teleology with more virtuosic aplomb (see Example 8); Rhoads uses arpeggios, tremolo picking, trills and fast scales to keep up with the drive of the progression.

Rhoads displays similar technical devices on a live recording of 'Suicide Solution' (released in 1987), during the course of a lengthy virtuosic cadenza. The crowd's reactions are clearly audible as counterpoint to Rhoads' phrases, confirming that the purpose of virtuosic technique is to facilitate fantastic rhetoric; the virtuoso strives to manipulate the audience by means of skilful deployment of shared musical codes of signification.

In the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, music was theorised in these terms very openly, in treatises on the Affektenlehre, before the rise of aesthetics led to circumlocutions and mystifications of music's power. Moreover, contemporary accounts show that until late in the nineteenth century, the behaviour of concert audiences was far from today's 'classical' norms of silence and passivity. Musical audiences were 'tamed' around the turn of this century, as part of the cultural segregation of private emotions and public behaviour so well analysed by Lawrence W. Levine.

Until the twentieth century, it seems that large audiences for opera and public concerts behaved very much like today's audiences for heavy metal and other popular music. Listeners reacted to musical rhetoric with 'spontaneous expressions of pleasure and disap- proval in the form of cheers, yells, gesticulations, hisses, boos, stamping of feet, whistling, crying for encores, and applause' (Levine 1988, p. 192). In the studio recording of 'Suicide Solution', which appeared on Blizzard of Ozz (1981), there is no guitar solo at all, an unusual departure from the formal norms of heavy metal, but an appropriate one, given the song's musical delineation of powerlessness.

But in concert, Osbourne used the song as an opportunity for Rhoads to display his prowess as a soloist. Where the song would normally end, it is suspended inconclusively instead, and Rhoads begins a virtuosic cadenza made up of carefully paced statements and flourishes, divided by charged gaps which seem to demand replies from the audience (see Example 9). Rhoads uses speedy patterns and fast runs to build excitement, and he manages the rhythmic impulses of his lines so as to create and then suspend metric expectations. Tried and true harmonic devices, such as diminished arpeggios and chromatic 'melt- downs', are borrowed from classical musical semiotics in order to manipulate desire, by suggesting, deflecting, achieving or making ambiguous a variety of tonal goals."

---

The article also included tabs for the Mr. Crowley solos as well as his spotlight solo, all taken from the Wolf Marshall book. If anyone is interested, the article is in Popular Music, Volume 11 Number 3.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

Thank you for that it was very interesting
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I really enjoyed this Quatro, I like the idea of an academic look at the work of Randy. To me he was less a rock a star and somebody who was a composer someone who's artistic abilities could exceed the musical situation they were in.
My greatest hope for the future is that randy will become Randal Rhoads and will be studied in an acadmic manner and the deapths and comparisons with the great composers will be written read and understood.

Thanks for posting this up and feel free to post any other you or anyone else finds, this is a direction I am happy to push Randals legacy for future generations.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Interesting read! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Trigger wrote:I really enjoyed this Quatro, I like the idea of an academic look at the work of Randy. To me he was less a rock a star and somebody who was a composer someone who's artistic abilities could exceed the musical situation they were in.
My greatest hope for the future is that randy will become Randal Rhoads and will be studied in an acadmic manner and the deapths and comparisons with the great composers will be written read and understood.

Thanks for posting this up and feel free to post any other you or anyone else finds, this is a direction I am happy to push Randals legacy for future generations.

Ian
I feel exactly the same way! Great response to a great post. Thanks NoQuattro for a great read!
FlyingHigh

Post by FlyingHigh »

+1
randys roadie
Cool Member

Post by randys roadie »

Donnie wrote:
Trigger wrote:I really enjoyed this Quatro, I like the idea of an academic look at the work of Randy. To me he was less a rock a star and somebody who was a composer someone who's artistic abilities could exceed the musical situation they were in.

Ian
I feel exactly the same way! Great response to a great post. Thanks NoQuattro for a great read!
I have to go with Donnie this should be Randys legacy. Wise words from two of the finest moderators on the forums.
Great to see you here Donnie you should stop by more often :D
Randy rocked