Randy's pedalboard - Detailed pictures thread (New Pic!)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Randy's pedalboard - Detailed pictures thread (New Pic!)

Post by Shockwave »

Finally a full pic of the inside board.. Kathy posted this yesterday.
IMG_4628.jpeg
And to consolidate all detailed pics of Randy's pedalboard in a single post, here are some more. As I find them I will update the post and credit the owner.
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg
IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0184.jpeg (13 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
**Someone posted some high res photos from the HOF exhibit of Randy's board last year, can't find them. Let me know and I can add them to the first post.
equinox

Re: Randy's pedalboard - Detailed pictures thread (New Pic!)

Post by equinox »

Awesome! That's great Kathy continues to share information. xoxoxoxoxo

It's great to see they used tie straps once everything wired up to try and keep everything anchored.

Not sure how the MCR 10-Band EQ is secured to the pedalboard. It may be siliconed and you can see the foam spacers on the bottom to take up the gap. What I did was drill thru the holes that fasten the bottom to the pedal and thru the top. Holes are matches up so 4 screws go thru the pedalboard top and into the holes I drilled thru the top of the EQ and taped for proper threading, fyi.

On the controlboard (next to the flanger), it looks like they may have indeed used relays! I see at least 7 and see-thru contacts (up near the blue wires on top)! I used something much simpler and available at the time with 555 timer and transistors working in a flip-flop circuit, fyi! Simpler and relays are a more expensive component at $3-5/each.

There has been a lot of documented of information on the board acting up over time and yes was dropped at one point, but over time and soo many miles on it, the capacitors are all dried up and sucked compared to moderns, so if one was to get it back up to 100% running condition, I would replace ALL electrolytic capacitors and likewise, check and see if the relays became weak over time.

Any more information on the MXR Distortion+? I'll have to check MXR's page and Kathy's Instagram.

I ended up picking up an all original 1979 JMP out of England that was just serviced at Marshall! I installed the MOD Marshall did to Randy's EXACTLY as they did, but also, put on a push-pull switch, so IN, it's like his Black head and a stock JMP, but pulled, moves that resistor over and the additional gain and MOD!!

I really need to get you guys some video and audio clips and show you what a stock 1979 sounds like and then the modded 1979. I'll work on it over the Summer. The MOD actually keeps some things in circuit and so BOTH channels are effected, but in different ways! On it's own, it's Meh! But them I hit it with the D+ and you get the extra gain and sizzle, then the EQ and shape the tone, then finally, into the Altec (WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO THE "THE" TONE) and the glassiness and ghosting of notes!! When I make the video, I'll do stock, then MOD, then layer each element as above and you hear how each one adds to give you the final tone, so it's sum of the holes and without any part, you will NOT get there!!

Thanks for the posting and pics and God bless Randy Rhoads and the family. {hugs}
equinox

Post by equinox »

update: MXR Distortion+, just read on the Instagram, they are targeting NAMM 2024, so showcase in January, so we have a little more waiting to do!

"January 25-28, 2024 - Anaheim Convention Center"

The one thing I don't understand is how the potentiometers in all the pedals go thru the pedal, then the pedalboard top. I mean, on mine, I tried that and there was not enough threads, so thought maybe longer shafted pots may be used, but it's probably due to thickness.

I didn't want my pedalboard to weigh a tone. Randy's is steel and you can see surface rust on places.

I went for aluminum, but to ensure did not deflect (nor rust), went for .100" thickness and this must be all the difference. Randy's is all attached to the top of the pedalboard, where mine, only the EQ is. The rest, I ran 3-wire harnesses that have snap disconnects for each of assembly and disassembly!
equinox

Post by equinox »

Looking up the datasheet for the IC's they outlined....looks like they HEX SCHMIT TRIGGER and Flip Flop to switch the LED on/off and flip/flop the relays on and off, so not so different than what I did, but using readily available NPN and PNP transistors at the time instead of ICs!!
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Can't wait to hear it!
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Any updates on this?
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

No. Nothing yet. Just have been waiting for the new pedal to be released, which we know now is targeted at NAMM 2024 (Jan 25-28, 2024).
In the meantime, I have been SWAMPED with issues and busy....new job since Jan 2023, new amp designs for my company, supporting events with the local radio station, and a myrid of issues....one car took 2 months to fix and get back from the dealership, another overheating, my truck you'd turn key and no click, no crank, then diagnosed as relay and worked for a while, then recently, would click and no crank, which diagnosed as starter, which replaced over the weekend. We had torrential rain, which have now been out of power for 4 or 5 days and still out and sump failure flooded the basement, so worked all weekend moving things until had to stop. I have roof water intrusion issues I can't seem to find out where coming from. You name it, I have been way to busy to do anything....fun. For me, nice warm and almost rain free summer I haven't enjoyed, so summer sorta sucked for me! I'll post updates as time permits, but thinking holidays or after pedal release, probably February timeframe.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Oh my! Well, I spent the whole summer working too. Now it's been raining almost nonstop for some time. Some flooding expected too :| In september, if everything goes to plan, my band should start working on the new album. So that's at least something!!! And in October should have a bit holidays with my wife, hopefully that goes well :mrgreen: Anyway, hang on in there! All the best and let's keep it up and blast some Randy Rhoads once in awhile, if we get the chance!!! Nice autumn to everyone!!! :D
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Tryin'!

Truck trans started slipping last week on way to work. Drove home. Needs new transmission/rebuild, so with the mechanic! I'll call him tomorrow to see what's up. Dealership would not quote, but online, common problem and inherent in design and typically run $6-9000!! Likewise, they said only one transmission tech and booked up, so 6-8 weeks!! I found a local transmission show, so has parts on-hand for 2 complete trans and only 1 week in backlog and cost of $3600-4200! Power ended up being out 5 full days continuous over the Summer, so been quoting to have whole house backup. Guy is scheduled to come out Monday (10/9)! It'll work, but I have a 250k BTU regulator on the meter and need 601k BTU max. draw for everything, so contacted DTE and will be coming out to make the necessary upgrades (meter/regulator, but source piping from street to house may need to be upgraded also to support the amount of gas needed)! They also stated booked up with everyone getting backups installed and upgrade will not happen until 2024 (3+ months from now)!! :O

If it's not one thing...it's another
equinox

Post by equinox »

well, i see Kathy supplied an update on her instagram and the MXR pedal will not be released at NAMM and not available until mid-Spring, soo...April/May?!?? Ugh.

Jim Dunop communicated - “Due to unforeseen circumstances the MXR Distribution+ is delayed until mid-spring. We know a lot of you are excited about this release and wanted to keep you updated. We want to dial it in just right, and we appreciate your patience for just a bit longer.” Jimi Dunlop

I wonder what the delay could be due to? The pedal unless modified in some way or component availability is very simple and to manufacture?!?

Oh well, another delay, but we'll find out in a few months.

No clips on the pedalboard! Sorry. After I got the truck transmission repaired, and just before the holidays, three deer were running and two slammed into my truck and the insurance company totalled it!! I had to negotiate up with the highest price I could get out of them, then find one appropriately available, negotiate price and terms and it ate into my holiday/vacation!!

Oh well, target the spring and after the new pedal is finally released. Don't want to do it and allocate the time as other things going on until board board is right including the pedal.

But on another note...someone contacted me to confirm what tubes Randy used. We all know he used Groove Tubes, but to make a long story short and after investigation....I can confirm they are NOT EL34's, but 6CA7s!! They are direct replacements and just need to be biased, but they have a different tone and it's EXACTLY what we all hear and love and consequently, what EVH used also!! I was able to procure some 6CA7s from the 80s and can confirm it's correct! :O

ref: https://www.instagram.com/p/C10Azway1m0 ... mg_index=1
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

equinox wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:50 am well, i see Kathy supplied an update on her instagram and the MXR pedal will not be released at NAMM and not available until mid-Spring, soo...April/May?!?? Ugh.

Jim Dunop communicated - “Due to unforeseen circumstances the MXR Distribution+ is delayed until mid-spring. We know a lot of you are excited about this release and wanted to keep you updated. We want to dial it in just right, and we appreciate your patience for just a bit longer.” Jimi Dunlop
I saw that. I was very disappointed it's just another "throw polka dots on it" thing. I was hoping they'd do something more interesting like maybe the pinstripes or something. Kinda kills the hype a little bit for me. It'd have been even cooler if they had been able to add the Rolls Royce RR logo on there, but I'm sure that was far too expensive to use. Unless there's for some odd reason something super special about this pedal, I kind of feel unlikely to want to purchase it. I've already got a script-reissue one from a few years back anyways.

Also, it's not super reassuring to me that they couldn't even call it the correct thing. It's a Distortion+ not a Distribution+ lmao but I suppose if it's from Kathy's own words quoting Jim Dunlop, she might just not know.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I was also expecting the RR (Rolls Royce) logo on it 😀
Well, let's see how it turns out. I also have a hefty mission in sight: gonna move my family and our beloved dogs to another country, hopefully after the greener pastures and back to better employment, so help me God🙏
So, I'll be buying the RR-pedal only later on, if they're available.
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Asthetically, someone hit the nail on the head when Kathy posted they were bluepriting the pedalboard and D+ pedals and somene suggested poka dots!

For me, it's got the poka-dots which are a testament to Randy, his outfits and guitar, so I'm good with that and it has the same signature they used on the Marshall amp, so good with that.

We'll have to see the price as a D+ pedal is a check pedal with like a dozen parts and under $100. What will they sell this for...$200, $250 $300?!??

For a tribute pedal with custom graphics and box...it won't be worth it as there are 40 years of D+'s out there and if not modified, you can get the original vintage pedals, as I have 2 or 3 of them form 1978-1980 timeframe!

The one thing that will make it worth it is IF they found out it was in fact modified. They would need to provide proof also and I'm anticipating they will like the Marshall tribute amp with a small booklet with photos from the blueprinting.

If it's just a pedal that mimic the sound, like the Sabbra Cadabra does into a clean amp..not worth it. If it's a stock MXR with a painted enclosure and documents and box....not worth it. It'll only be worth it for me and I think most people if it is in deed modified and to Randy's D+ exact specs.

We'll see....but I can tell you, the vintage stock MXR D+ EQ'ed and into a 1979 SLP with the correct modification (not the tribute amp)....sounds exactly like Randy's tone to me and so, I think his D+ was no modified! Again, we'll see!
JNH

Post by JNH »

IMO........just another money-grab. I still have my original 1979 Distortion + but even if i didn't, i wouldn't be purchasing this remake. No matter what they try to market these days, it's not going to get you the same tone as Randy's......there's a lot more to the equation than that lol. It's just all hype. Again, just my opinion.
equinox

Post by equinox »

We'll just have to see in a couple months.

If it turns out to be modded....it will be epic.

If it's just a MXR D+ reissue....it will be a real bummer and yes, nothing more than money grab....well, maybe slightly more because of the custom paint job and probably pics from the photoshoot of the pedalboard and MXR pedal, like they did with the Marshall tribute amp which had pics of the actual amp and inside the speaker cabinets confirming Altec 417-8H Series II's!

Every little bit gets us that must closer to understanding things 100%.

One thing to note is Kathy's response to the question if the pedalboard had a buffer in it, which she confirms 100%....NO buffer!

I thought maybe some of the pedals have a buffer circuit in them and maybe that was the confusion? The D+ does not have a buffer, nor the volume pedal which the signal is supposed to come from guitar, thru the volume, then into the pedalboard as the wah can be disabled thru one of the loops in the pedalboard, but the wah does have an Input buffer at the front of the circuit, fyi.
Attachments
Kath Rhoads - Pedalboard Feedback.png
cry-baby-wah-gcb-95-schematic-parts.jpg