New England Show Pictures / Memories / Bootlegs

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

No1UNo
Cool Member

New England Show Pictures / Memories / Bootlegs

Post by No1UNo »

When Randy & Ozzy came to town on May 1st, 1981, I was in 8th grade.

I was a bit too young to venture into the city on my own to see them - not that my parents would've let me; Ozzy scared the HECK out of them! The only time they swung through New England was on the Blizzard of Ozz 1981 Tour, so my loss.

Outside of the Bootlegs for Springfield and Providence, I was looking for anyone that had and memories, pictures, or lost audio from any of the OTHER New England shows below. I'd like to get an idea of what it was like to be there; Did Ozzy do anything crazy? What stage outfit was Randy wearing? Was he particularly on fire at any of those shows, and did he improvise way beyond usual. Obviously, any new audio would be news here to all of us.
    May 1st - Orpheum Theater, Boston, MA
      May 4th - Civic Center, Springfield, MA
        August 2nd - Civic Center, New Haven, CT
          August 5th - Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME
            August 6th - Bangor Auditorium, Bangor, ME
              August 7th - Ocean State Theater, Providence, RI
                August 9th - Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA

If anyone has anything - including memories, from these shows, please respond to the thread with what you have. This old man would be most gracious and appreciative.

:fish:
                P C M
                Cool Member

Re: New England Show Pictures / Memories / Bootlegs

Post by P C M »

I'll look through what I have (can't promise anything) but,I do have alot of shows on another drive. Hopefully I can find something for you. Hard to believe I was 15 when we lost our Superman. Sadly,doesn't seem that long ago.
                No1UNo
                Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Totally appreciate anything that you can do. Like I said, audio of any of the above shows outside of Springfield and Providence would be news to all of us here, but also looking to learn anything about how these shows sounded or were. Maybe I should look at the newspaper reviews, now that I think of it...not that critic reviews would tell me anything from a fan's perspective.

I never knew Randy, but from those that did or saw him - and the advent of the 40th anniversary since he left us, I miss his playing more than ever. Man, what would a 3rd studio album have brought?!!
                No1UNo
                Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Seriously...No one on this board (or who is left) saw any of these shows? We have audio of 5/4 (Springfield) and 8/7 (Providence), but I'd LOVE to have an idea of what I missed, particularly on 5/1 (Boston) and 8/9 (Cape Cod).

I'll pay ca$h for a boot or two! Ha, ha. Maybe even a bit more for video...
                Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

Rudy wrote a bit about the Boston show in his book, I guess they really killed it that night, and the crowd was wild.
                There are 2 low quality pics out there of it online
                On facebook there are some great pics of the Providence show.
                Just do a search for Ozzy Providence, and you should come across them!
                It's amazing what is kind of hidden around online.
                I've even seen a pic from the Apollo Theatre gig. Someone had it for sale on Ebay years ago. Nothing spectacular, just a pic of Ozzy from that night.
                Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

No1UNo
                Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Very Cool, Astral Plane! Thank you. Those pictures from Providence are amazing. I'm surprised that someone hasn't properly packaged those with the "A" grade audio floating around from that show aka "Howling Blizzard".

I've read all the books out there...Rudy's, Bob's, and others - and the consensus was there was a "buzz" in an around Boston, particularly with the Berklee College of Music students who were beginning to turn onto Randy. I want to say the Klein book has a postcard from before that show, and that Randy spent some time talking with students about his technique and what he did on the first album.

I will search for the Boston pictures out there, and I actually did find a couple of guys on FaceBook who went to that show but couldn't remember much of what happened that night, for pretty obvious reasons. But one guy was in the first row right at Randy's feet and said that night was beyond amazing and was almost life-changing.

If you come across anything else, let me know!