OZZY OSBOURNE's 'Diary Of A Madman' 40th-Anniversary Expanded Digital Edition Due In November

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

P C M
Cool Member

OZZY OSBOURNE's 'Diary Of A Madman' 40th-Anniversary Expanded Digital Edition Due In November

Post by P C M »

NOTHING NEW HERE!!! :roll:

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductee and Grammy-winning singer and songwriter Ozzy Osbourne will celebrate the 40th anniversary of his 1981 album "Diary Of A Madman" with an updated digital release that includes a new track: a live version of his Mainstream Rock Top 5 hit "Flying High Again". The "Diary Of A Madman" special digital reissue will be available November 5 via all digital platforms. The album is Ozzy's second studio release and the last album to feature 2021 Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer guitarist Randy Rhoads. The multi-platinum release (with five million albums sold worldwide) included the No. 2 Mainstream Rock track "Flying High Again". The album was listed at No. 15 on Rolling Stone's 2017 list of "100 Greatest Metal Albums Of All Time." Kory Grow noted, "A year after proving he was still a vital musical force on his first post–BLACK SABBATH solo LP, 1980's 'Blizzard Of Ozz', Ozzy Osbourne demonstrated it wasn't a one-time fluke with an album of poppy and gothic anthems like 'Flying High Again' and the almost classical closing title track. Guitarist Randy Rhoads, who died in a plane crash while touring for 'Diary' in 1982, had already proven himself a virtuoso on 'Blizzard'; here, he worked even harder to find the rare nexus between showboat chops and clever songwriting..."

The "Diary Of A Madman" 40th-anniversary expanded digital edition track listing:

01. Over The Mountain
02. Flying High Again
03. You Can't Kill Rock And Roll
04. Believer
05. Little Dolls
06. Tonight
07. S.A.T.O.
08. Diary Of A Madman
09. Believer (live)*
10. Flying High Again (live)*

* previously unavailable digitally

Source : https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy- ... -november/
P C M
Cool Member

Re: OZZY OSBOURNE's 'Diary Of A Madman' 40th-Anniversary Expanded Digital Edition Due In November

Post by P C M »

Not very surprising and still at the same time,very sady. Kathy's news doesn't help. Pretty sad when Jimi Hendrix has over 700 bootlegs and found footage of his 1970 MSG onstage meltdown 3 songs in.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: OZZY OSBOURNE's 'Diary Of A Madman' 40th-Anniversary Expanded Digital Edition Due In November

Post by stealaway »

It's incredible that Jimi's released legacy (both, official and bootlegs) is so much bigger than Randy's, even if one considers that Hendrix died in 1970 and this still much more video-footage of him, both professional and amateur. Well, Jimi used to jam a lot and recorded a lot of stuff in the studio and live, that has still not been released. Maybe we cannot really compare...
Mikel
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

To be fair, there's a big difference in the impact felt between Hendrix and Randy. Jimi sang and played guitar so more of the spotlight was on him. Plus he was pretty much a phenomenon from 67 to 70.

With Randy, the focal point was Ozzy. I'm sure if Randy had lived another year or two, there would be at least a couple more professional recordings.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Well I was right that the expanded edition would come out this November. But what an absolutely shit "expanded edition" it is. We know for a fact that the alternate full fadeout versions of all Diary songs were already created for inclusion on the 2010 boxset, but removed right before pressing.

I guess the question now is what show(s) are the live versions of Believer and FHA going to be from? If they actually include live versions from Randy's segment of the Diary tour then I'd take that any day over the full fadeout versions that we are not getting. I say that because I am very curious as to what magic they could work with the diary soundboard tapes that we already have or maybe they do in fact have professionally recorded Diary shows with Randy that never made it out. On the Blizzard tour they seemed to do at least one or two pro recorded shows per month. Then all of sudden that practice stops for something of the magnitude that was the Diary tour? I doubt it. They must have at least 1 pro recorded show with Randy from the Diary tour.

I just hope to god they don't give us Believer or FHA from one of the Blizzard shows we already have...

I guess the only hope of seeing the fadeout versions now is another boxset at some point.
richard emms

Post by richard emms »

Totally agree with Shockwave... a really shit 40th Anniversary package and not one that any Randy fan would be proud of.

As for the extra "live" tracks, I bet these are from Southampton 1980 as they were never released prior (or have I missed something?). If these were from the Diary Tour it would make more sense as Believer and FHA were next to each other in the setlist and later in the performance allowing Ozzy's voice to "warm-up" a little.

So sad that even after 40 years, they just cannot give Randy the musical legacy and accolades he deserves. Let's hope something is released to coincide with his Rock And Roll Hall of Fame to celebrate his prowess and very short life.

I don't know if you guys and gals have seen my mix on youtube of the Milwaukee 22nd Jan Concert -- but here it is if you're keen and if you'd like the WAV file (much louder) pop me a PM and I'll send a link. > OZZY OSBOURNE - WITH RANDY RHOADS - 22ND JANUARY 1982 - DIARY OF A MADMAN TOUR - https://youtu.be/5RTMCpZj_cs
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Like most of the Randy Rhoads-related stuff, I was looking forward to buying the Diary Of A Madman deluxe edition, but now I have to strongly reconsider. We don't get a real deluxe edition(s) and I have most of the different versions that have come out. Those versions with Bordin and Trujillo were icing on the cake; I've never heard such a travesty and I have only ever listened to those CDs once. But by now it's obvious that since Ozzy cannot do any proper records anymore (not since Bob or Zack left) Osbournes' only choice is to release any Randy-releated (which they do very badly if at all) or Ozzy to get all the famous musicians to help him out, which does not make a great band or amount to great cohesive songs, necessarily. That's just my opinion, but yeah-, fans of the most other legendary deceased guitarists got it better: fans of Tommy Bolin have gotten a whole lotta CDs (I've bought like 20 since TB Archives started to release them) most of them pretty good. Same thing with people like Paul Kossoff, Mick Ronson etc. Even John Cipollina has some very good collections out. I'm mostly naming my own personal favourites (those of the dead, so to speak). But Randy Rhoads-fans mostly get shit-all, what a shame... :(
Mikel
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

I can't even put any effort to even get pissed off at the lack of quality releases any more.. That says it all about any legacy they wish to supposedly celebrate. Digital release only on top of it all Pfffft.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Only thing that this long-awaited edition expands is Ozzy's bank account. If even that, if no-one's going to buy it...
Quoting Monty Python's restaurant-scene: " it just makes me mad...!!!" There, got a bit off my chest 😆
Mikel
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FjaAGjjoU&t=16s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4svyFz9JqHc&t=13s

These might be good, haven't listened to them through yet. If you fancy, give it a go!!!
Mikel
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

alborg wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:05 am I can't even put any effort to even get pissed off at the lack of quality releases any more.. That says it all about any legacy they wish to supposedly celebrate. Digital release only on top of it all Pfffft.
Dude, I feel ya. I'm at the point of if it isn't new footage or some interesting audio (interviews, lessons, unreleased shows) I couldn't give two shits.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

I've heard the whole (40th digitally remastered) and it sounds to me,alot of the bass is either low or turned down. Absolutely nothing new at all. Live tracks are that of the 30th anniversary box set. I guess since Bob is still alive,I am sure they ($har0n) had them turn down the bass. :roll:
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

P C M wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:41 pm I've heard the whole (40th digitally remastered) and it sounds to me,alot of the bass is either low or turned down. Absolutely nothing new at all. Live tracks are that of the 30th anniversary box set. I guess since Bob is still alive,I am sure they ($har0n) had them turn down the bass. :roll:
I came here just to post about the bass after listening 40th versions as I noticed this as well and did some comparisons with the older versions through headphones. The low end frequencies of the bass have been lowered a bit so its not as full sounding and less muddy, and the bass sound is more punchy, clearer, and overall much better IMO. You can clearly hear a lot of Bob's bass lines now. I'd say it's an improvement.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

I'm still holding out for the 100th anniversary box set. You know, the one with a clone of Randy's thumb nail sealed in acrylic.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:21 pm
P C M wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:41 pm I've heard the whole (40th digitally remastered) and it sounds to me,alot of the bass is either low or turned down. Absolutely nothing new at all. Live tracks are that of the 30th anniversary box set. I guess since Bob is still alive,I am sure they ($har0n) had them turn down the bass. :roll:
I came here just to post about the bass after listening 40th versions as I noticed this as well and did some comparisons with the older versions through headphones. The low end frequencies of the bass have been lowered a bit so its not as full sounding and less muddy, and the bass sound is more punchy, clearer, and overall much better IMO. You can clearly hear a lot of Bob's bass lines now. I'd say it's an improvement.
I noticed the thinner low end but what really bothers me about the 2011 remaster (and it’s recycled mastering for hi res and other digital downloads) is that it is flatlined/brickwalled. The loud parts are reduced in volume and the softer parts are louder, all so they could make the CD overall louder. The end of the title track doesn’t build like before because there’s no room to build in volume. The drum accents don’t hit like they did throughout the album because it’s all squished to make the CD louder. Ozzy and Sony are always about making things louder, rather than trying to replicate the original. I’ve settled on the 1995 Diary CD remaster. It’s not far from the sound of the original UK LP. The original CD is decent but there’s dropouts and the EQ is off balance between the channels; it was taken from a worn out LP master. For Blizzard though, the original CD is best. It would be great if they let Mobile Fidelity do a proper remaster of the two albums, because none of the digital releases have been ideal, but I’m sure they’ll never allow that.