what was randy's pedalboard like during quiet riot?

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

what was randy's pedalboard like during quiet riot?

Post by wareagle »

as in what pedals did he have?

im on his tone hunt, although it did change, one thing that doesnt is his "rolling distortion" that he has, and im now looking for the constants... his guitars arnt the constant, his amps arnt, his pedals are (along with his hands, but he can hit an open string and have the roll uk)! now i just gotta figure out what his pedals were in quiet riot, ik he didnt have his roland space echo, ik he had his wah and distortion, but thts it... maybe he had his flang too?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

His guitars aren't the constant? He used the Les Paul for just about everything you'll hear by Quiet Riot and he had the Polka Dot V during the QR days as well. The Jacksons didn't come along until after Blizzard and Diary were recorded.

Not trying to find fault, I think what you are doing is great, I just wanted to point out that the Les Paul was used for the majority of the recordings we've heard.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

ik tht, but u gotta think deeper, if the guitar was the factor, the tone would be different on the v and on the jackson, but its not, it changes but tht rolling distortion is still there, you gotta find exactly what is staying the same besides him, and its his pedals, im thinking its his mxr d + mxr 10 band eq, wah, flang? chorus?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

what were the woods used on the V and the Jacksons? Les Paul's are mahogany and Randy loved that guitar the best. I swear I read that the V was mahogany as well... As far as i know, the Jacksons weren't used until the Diary tour, so the Blizzard tour is just the LP and the V. The QR records are the Les Paul... the Altecs Randy used are similar but not the same as what is available today, the specific tubes used in his Marshalls would be part of it, but he used an Ampeg in QR which was solid state, so that wouldn't be a constant.

I'd say the main constant would be the Les Paul and his hands. Listen to his playing on the Bass lesson at the RR.US site... it's a lesson and he still has the same sound. I can't believe he took the time to go through all his effects for a lesson.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

no he wouldnt, its a combo of his hands and his 10 band eq. he gets it when he turns off his d +. and he was prob using his eq. also. the best proff, his comference, with his practice amp, he said "i wish i had my eq..." he didnt get the sound as much. its his eq.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

wareagle wrote: the best proff, his comference, with his practice amp, he said "i wish i had my eq..." he didnt get the sound as much. its his eq.
you lost me here
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

best proof of what his rolling is, is at his interview thing on the diary tour where he says during it i wish i had a eq...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, but that was toward the end of his life and your original question was referring to his Quiet Riot days. Maybe he did use his EQ during lessons, I don't know. We do know his EQ settings, however. Halorising has the zeus with his EQ settings all dialed in.
halorising wrote:Image[/img]
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

true, idk if he had it during qr, it does give u tht tone, i have it and it gives u the rolling factor.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

EQ

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I read a lot of debates on not just Randy's tone but anyone's tone and the best way to get into the ballpark is with the proper EQ settings. The picture Paul shows is accurate.Randy set the mids up higher while everything else was set lower. This won't nail Randy's tone but it is the proper foundation. I hear guitar purists argue about the Les Paul but I think it is the pickups in the Les Paul that are critical. If I were to list the order of what you need to nail Randy's tone it would look like this:

1) Randy's talent and heart
2) EQ
3) Les Paul pickups
4) MXR Distortion
5) Marshall Amps (with Randy's modifications)

Each one gets you closer. Always start with the EQ, then work your way down the list (if you can afford it). There is a wonderful web site that is dedicated to just EQ settings. Here is a link:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/jrheavy ... index.html
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

really its just him and his eq and mxr distortion. his amps changed and even though the les paul was important it didnt do the rolling. and i can now get that rolling, i just gotta work out the right amount of distortion and get better :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So you're saying that any guitar with Randy's EQ and amp settings will sound like Randy?
The Flying Dutchman

Re: EQ

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:Always start with the EQ, then work your way down the list (if you can afford it).
Just start with guitar and amp for a good basic sound.
If that isn't right at first you can add all the effects you want.......
So first, choose the right amp, the right speakers, the right guitar. (lots of people already get lost from the beginning)

That EQ setting Randy used would probably vary depending what amp he was using. :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

im not looking for his stuff i just found that the eq give him his rolling sound
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

wareagle wrote:i just found that the eq give him his rolling sound
What do you mean with 'rolling sound' ?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.