Black Rain

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Black Rain

Post by rice_pudding »

so... what do you all think of ozzy's new album?

im afraid to say that im quite disapointed :( i was expecting much better considering how good black labels new album was... i gues that zakk didn't have much opportunity to display his song writing skills (which i felt were top notch on shot to hell, as good as if not better than his ozzy stuff)
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Black Rain

Post by siro_angel »

i was disapointed in it but i like the songs Nightmare and Lay Your World On Me at the moment :)

Nightmare = because its just like vintage ozzy! with guitar solo! and it has a catchy chorus!

Lay Your World On Me = because it reminds me that ive been there for all my friends, i let them lay everything on me because im just a friendly neighbourhood angel :)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
El Cochino

Post by El Cochino »

I downloaded it the day it was released... I think the first song is AWESOME... then it slowly goes into the toilet. 2 problems I have with the CD... not enough harmonizer on Ozzy's vocals and too many 80's style guitar solos!! The CD is a miss in my opinion.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/BruinJer/HeavenHell.jpg[/img]
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think it's good. Not like...GREAT but good. I personally thought Zakk last few BLS albums were total and utter crap, so this was a nice break.
But then again, I liked Down To Earth so I guess that could make my opinion completely worthless to some people. :lol:

Silver, Lay Your World On Me, Civilize The Universe...Trap Door are all kickin' songs in my opinion. It's a pity that the bonus tracks didn't make the cut. Those were great as well.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Skully wrote:But then again, I liked Down To Earth so I guess that could make my opinion completely worthless to some people. :lol: .
nah! theres nothing wrong with Down to Earth :) when you pick it apart its a good album, not spectacular but very competantly composed. I'll admit i dont much go on the more modern sound, but i guess its just a sign of the times. I've always thought of that album as what No More Tears would have sounded like if it we're made in 2000 instead of 91
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Down to earth saved my life. so i'll admit it has some good songs :)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I have it, but still haven't listened to it. I think my daughter has tho.
I'll have to ask her if she likes it or not. She's the "Ozzy" afficionado.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I've discussed this on a few other boards......

Ozzy's main problem with this album is Zakk Wylde.....The guy is amazing, don't get me wrong, but he's become extremely boring to listen too....

He should never have been hired back after No More Tears...Ozzy should have gotten some new up and coming guitarist with fresh ideas....Look how great all his first 2 albums were with his old guitarists...The Rhoads/Lee/(first 2 Wylde releases were all masterpieces in their own right...

I've listened to Black Rain about 10 times.....I was hoping it was going to grow on me...It didn't even come close....The title track rips shit up though...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

hey DayNah, i dont think we can really blame Zakk for the album as IMO there is hardly any guitar on it, as though zakk wasn't allowed to do what he wanted. In fact on a few tracks i struggle to hear any guitar at all :? , but maybe its just the mixing.
but im not disagreeing with you because the Ozzy Zakk combo does seem to have gone a bit stale. Ozzy needs to work with some new blood... or get Bob Daisley back :roll: (in my dreams)
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I never heard that Bob was involved in writing riffs for Ozzy...he claims to have done the lyrics, but the riffs? :shock:
If Ozzy could get anyone from past albums back for future albums (aside from Randy) he should scoop Geezer up. Geezer smokes Bob and every other bassist Ozzy's worked with.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Skully wrote:I never heard that Bob was involved in writing riffs for Ozzy...he claims to have done the lyrics, but the riffs? :shock:
If Ozzy could get anyone from past albums back for future albums (aside from Randy) he should scoop Geezer up. Geezer smokes Bob and every other bassist Ozzy's worked with.
no bobs not a riffs man :lol: but he has had a hand in writing some of ozzys best material. We can only guess at how the bands songwriting develops and who does what, but seeing as bob is a bass player and IMO (and to the best of my knowledge) pretty up to scratch on his theory its safe to assume that he lays down the harmony and structure to songs and at the end of the day you cant add much on top without a firm basis.

Geezer would be a good choice though and of course thats a reunion thats more likely to happen :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

by the way im not trying to take anything away from randy who was no doubt a huge part in writing Blizzard and Diary im just suggesting that bob was the basis of the songwriting. Randy on the other hand could be described as the catalyst of the group adding on top of and embellishing bobs stuff and taking things to a whole nuther level.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I'm curious now as to how Bob sounds without Ozzy and the band...
I've heard somethings he did with Uriah Heap (I think that's what they're called) and I wasn't really blown away at all. Aside from Ozzy and that band, who else has he played with? I don't remember hearing about him since Ozzy gave him the boot in favor of Geezer during Ozzmosis.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I'm curious now as to how Bob sounds without Ozzy and the band...
I've heard somethings he did with Uriah Heap (I think that's what they're called) and I wasn't really blown away at all and the stuff he did with Sabbath didn't really do it for me either. Aside from Ozzy, Sabbath, and that band, who else has he played with? I don't remember hearing about him since Ozzy gave him the boot in favor of Geezer during Ozzmosis.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I probably won't bother with this album, but I do find it interesting that one post says it has too many '80's style guitar solos and another says there is hardly any guitar on the album. Quite a difference, unless the guitar that is on the album is only playing '80's guitar solos :D