HEAVEN AND HELL ...OH,WHAT A MASTERPIECE!

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

HEAVEN AND HELL ...OH,WHAT A MASTERPIECE!

Post by oth »

Its been about 32 years since i listened to this album.It was the one metal album that i liked at the time.I liked it enough to go seethem on the mob rules tour.Anyway,for whatever reason i got nostalgic last week and bought this and screaming for vengeance.Anyway hh is unreal.I cant beleive i havent listened to this in 30 years.Dio is stunning.Powerful yet soulful voice.Its a perfect match for the music.This album could even be mentioned in the same breath as dark side of the moon,skynard,etc.Every song is awesome\the last song might not be be but is still solid.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: HEAVEN AND HELL ...OH,WHAT A MASTERPIECE!

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:This album could even be mentioned in the same breath as Dark Side of the Moon, Skynyrd, etc.
I, too, loved this album so much I went to see them on the Mob Rules tour! The show I was at was immortalized on Live Evil.

Personally, Heaven and Hell & Mob Rules are my favorite Sabbath albums. I remember hearing either Neon Knights or Children of the Sea on the radio and instantly becoming a Sabbath fan. I then bought all the original records (even Technical Ecstasy which was difficult to find by that time), but the Dio records were my favorites.

In fact, Black Sabbath was directly responsible for me investigating the Blizzard of Ozz album and learning about Randy Rhoads.
oth wrote:Every song is awesome\the last song might not be be but is still solid.
My favorite song is Lady Evil - I LOVE the bass in that song and Iommi's use of the Crybaby. Lonely is the Word (the last song) is a good song, not 'great' compared to the 'hits' from that record, but better than a lot of other bands stuff.

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

yeah,neon nights was the first song i heard off this album and i loved it.however giving this a listen thirty years later i am loving die young and wishing well.And iommi s use of the wah is very tasty in addition to his great leads...dio and ozzy sabbath are apples and oranges,they are 2 different bands.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:dio and ozzy sabbath are apples and oranges,they are 2 different bands.
It's almost like Iommi heard Randy and stepped up the metal as opposed to the jazzier stuff he'd been doing... Heaven and Hell was released in April of '80 and Blizzard was released in September of '80 but weren't the Arden's managing Sabbath? It's conceivable that Iommi heard some rough demos...

Then again, Van Halen opened for Sabbath on the Never Say Die tour, so that could have influenced Iommi's change in songwriting.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

The title track is an absolute masterpiece. It's a shame it doesn't get the credit it deserves.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Black Sabbath should release a super-deluxe version of Heaven And Hell!!! Album turns 40 and is indeed one of my sabbath-favourites!!! Dio also sang on Kerry Livgren's "Seeds Of Change" album in 1980, he did vocals for 2 songs and fine job he did!!!
Mikel