"Bark At The Moon" track volume decreases gradually?

Talk about Jake E Lee here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tbubah

"Bark At The Moon" track volume decreases gradually?

Post by tbubah »

Hi, this is my first time posting on this board, I know it's not exactly about Jake specifically... but I'm digitizing my Bark At The Moon vinyl and noticed that the volume of the title track drops around 6dB from start to finish! You can hear it, and the waveforms confirm it. I checked a few YouTube CD uploads and they're all the same -- the intro is nice & loud, then the volume drops at the 1st verse, 2nd verse, solo, and last verse. Then the volume stays around that level for the rest of the album. I've digitized a few vinyls and occasionally encounter albums with inconsistent track-to-track volumes (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for example) but never within a single track. Has anyone else noticed this, or can offer a possible explanation? Maybe a gradual fade so the album starts loud but doesn't drop at "You're No Different", or increase after it? But then why not just master that track louder?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: "Bark At The Moon" track volume decreases gradually?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What an odd thing to notice. Now you've got me curious and I'll have to check it out... my guess would be that it was an attempt to grab the listener out of the gate and then normalize from there. Stupid idea in my opinion, but the best I could think of.
tbubah

Post by tbubah »

Yeah, the only reason I noticed is because I was digitizing the vinyl and saw the visual evidence. I may not have noticed from listening alone. Nowadays when every modern pop recording is mastered to be as absolutely loud as possible, I doubt a track would be allowed to get softer! So it does seem like an odd decision.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

tbubah wrote:Nowadays when every modern pop recording is mastered to be as absolutely loud as possible...
I hate that, don't you? No subtleties, just VOLUME!