11 Guitar Speakers for 1980s Metal - Celestion,Electro-Voice

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

11 Guitar Speakers for 1980s Metal - Celestion,Electro-Voice

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Just stumbed on this!
My favorite? Definitely the EVM12L close miked. (00:24) Nice clear, bright, ballsy tone without fizz. Great for metal.
I think Randy would have loved that speaker!

The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: 11 Guitar Speakers for 1980s Metal - Celestion,Electro-V

Post by sytharnia »

that was a weird watch. I think it was to long to start with.....on the first run through I didn't like the first 3 (including the EVM...sounded fizzy to me) but second time around they all sounded really cool so maybe the last few were just terrible which made them sound better :lol:

What it reinforced for me is I have chosen the right speaker for me because the K100 sounded great both times (I could only listen up to the second run through of the K).......I have a pair of g12 85's which the k100 are basically the same with a new name

These kind of videos are great at getting you thinking about speaker tone, we all think man I love the sound of that amp but in reality a huge % of tone comes from the speaker. It's the reason I hate V30....they just dominate a tone so much you lose what the amp has to offer
The Flying Dutchman

Well, to me the EVM12L for sure has a lot of high end here (in this recording) but without the fizz. It's still pure tone. (at least to me!)
I liked the K100, I played a while with them, but eventually I decided they sounded not characteric enough to me. I preferred the V30 over them. But some days these V30's sound AWESOME and other days they are just hurting. Even when broken in well. I really have a hate/love relation with V30's. It's really a psycho thing, if you listen long enough enough to V30's everything else will just sound flat after that, and once you are used to EVM12L's at first all celestion's sounds so fizzy! I still want to try the celestion GOLD (50W), never heard that one myself, but it's a bit expensive....
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: I liked the K100, I played a while with them, but eventually I decided they sounded not characteric enough to me
I hear ya....for me the lack of character is the whole reason I dig them, all I hear is amp tone :o

I have run my rig into a V30 loaded cab and it did sound ok when cranked but totally lost it when turned down. Having said that I play a line 6 dt into a v30 mesa cab and it was glorious :lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Kind of fun to listen to them with out watching the video. I stopped all 3 times on the G12T-75

I must have an ear for that speaker for I have chosen as the speakers I use at home. I like vintage 30's too but I really like that mid rangy honk you get from the g12t-75. It really stands out, at least to my ears.

For the video I find myself not liking the way the vintage 30's sound. Too fuzzy. And the speaker mentioned in the OP, for me sounded too compressed. Which is a nice thing if you are going for more aggressive metal.
The Flying Dutchman

Yeah these GT12T-75's for sure can sound outstanding!
But I found when using them with a loud drummer they don't cut enough and kind of get lost in the mix.

Did you already heard the new celetion V-type? Got one comming in last week, sounds really great, kind of like V30/greenback mix but without the spikey mids those V30's have. Haven't tried them real loud yet but if they keep up loud without getting muddy in the lows (like the V30's do after a while), celestion may have a new winner:

The Flying Dutchman

Here a good vid to compare the V-type with the V30:

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Here a good vid to compare the V-type with the V30:

now that V type does sound really great compared to the V30
The Flying Dutchman

sytharnia wrote:now that V type does sound really great compared to the V30
It really sounds great (house room level) for such a cheap speaker! It sounds more 'neutral' than the V30 but still has it's own character. Still have to check how they behave when playing real loud with a band.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Sweet, I'll check them out. It is an interesting comment about the GT12T-75 getting lost in the mix. Since to my ears they sound a little more mid rangy, and I have heard from some very talented audio engineers that mids tend to cut through the mix, that they would get lost in the mix.

Nothing compares to real world experience. The times I have used them live, I don't recall an issue, but at that time I didn't have a cab with any thing else in them. Now I do. Ill have to try it.

I'll make more comments when I check out the video of those new speakers.

One more thing, is that Celestion was bought out in like 2005 or 2006 and the speakers are all made in China or Korea now. Not sure that matters a whole lot. BUt I think that explains why there was some real differences between the speakers tested from the 80's and the modern speakers.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Interesting, I didn't hear that much of a difference between the V types and the v 30's. THe biggest difference is when the gain was cranked. But even then I thought they sounded really similar with the V types have just a hair more mids in the upper mid registry.

When compared to the first video I like the V types more than the other 2 that were mentioned.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

dannyahansen wrote:Interesting, I didn't hear that much of a difference between the V types and the v 30's. THe biggest difference is when the gain was cranked. But even then I thought they sounded really similar with the V types have just a hair more mids in the upper mid registry.

When compared to the first video I like the V types more than the other 2 that were mentioned.
I mainly heard the difference when the higher gain stuff was going on...it was very subtle though. Would love to sit in a room with them to compare
The Flying Dutchman

Now played with this V-type a couple times more at home here, I feel the V-type sits between the V30 and GT-75. It has the mids from the V30 without that 'spikey' character and the lows from the GT-75. For sure it has a lot more low than the V30. The V-type also cleans up better than the V30 when using a dirty amp and you want to clean up by rolling down the volume from the guitar. The cleans are more sparkling/bell like. It sounds great here at home. But still haven't tried how it will cut in a loud band.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Well.....Keep us posted. These do sound promising.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

yeah keep us informed ..... I am now kinda gasing for a pair of these now