The thread of guitar related acquisitions.

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: The thread of guitar related acquisitions.

Post by dannyahansen »

Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:But the neck was still too hot for my taste
well, yeah, but you'll have balance which is very VERY hard to acquire with what you just described.

randy will never die wrote:I want the neck to sound close to a Telly but I still want that humbucking sound

I think I will look at a P90
you will NEVER get a tele-sound through a P90.
Remember, a P90 is really nothing more than a fat singlecoil with no humcancelling :!:
randy will never die wrote:If I REMBER right the seymour Duncan motto is IF YOU CAN DREAM IT WE CAN BUILD IT
correction...if you can pay it we will build it :twisted: it's the same for everything custom really 8)
I agree that a p90 will never sound like a tele. If you want a tele sound you need 2 things. A guitar made out of ash with a maple neck and a tele pick up. That is it.

As far as balance it is not as hard as you think. The most popular combo for Seymour Duncan is a JB and a 59. The JB is a fairly hot pick up while the 59 is supposed to be like the PAF's of old. IOW it is a vintage low out put pick up. Dime used a Bill Lawrence XL500 which I have one and it is quite hot. Dime also used that 59 in the neck. The biggest thing to balance is how far from the strings the respective picks are.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

dannyahansen wrote:[
I agree that a p90 will never sound like a tele. If you want a tele sound you need 2 things. A guitar made out of ash with a maple neck and a tele pick up. That is it.

As far as balance it is not as hard as you think. The most popular combo for Seymour Duncan is a JB and a 59. The JB is a fairly hot pick up while the 59 is supposed to be like the PAF's of old. IOW it is a vintage low out put pick up. Dime used a Bill Lawrence XL500 which I have one and it is quite hot. Dime also used that 59 in the neck. The biggest thing to balance is how far from the strings the respective picks are.
A big part of a tele's sound is all that metal that is around the bridge....

as far as outputs go, I have a duncan quarter pound (14.5k) in the neck of my malmsteen strat and a tone rider blues pick up (7.2k) in the middle position and they live together fine because the height is balanced out
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

dannyahansen wrote:As far as balance it is not as hard as you think. The most popular combo for Seymour Duncan is a JB and a 59. The JB is a fairly hot pick up while the 59 is supposed to be like the PAF's of old. IOW it is a vintage low out put pick up. Dime used a Bill Lawrence XL500 which I have one and it is quite hot. Dime also used that 59 in the neck. The biggest thing to balance is how far from the strings the respective picks are.
speaking from my own perspective, I once built a guitar(well, not so much build as assemble parts and putting on paint :P )
where I used a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and the PAF Pro were
WAAAAYYY louder than the bridge...and the SD Custom is supposed to be a high-output PAF on steroids.
In this case, not so much :lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Stiltzkin wrote:
speaking from my own perspective, I once built a guitar(well, not so much build as assemble parts and putting on paint :P )
where I used a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and the PAF Pro were
WAAAAYYY louder than the bridge...and the SD Custom is supposed to be a high-output PAF on steroids.
Strange. I wonder if there was something wrong with teh Custom as they are indeed quite hot. I have had pick up go out for seemingly no reason or be weak. I could not figure it out. Paf pro's really are not that hot either.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
dannyahansen wrote:As far as balance it is not as hard as you think. The most popular combo for Seymour Duncan is a JB and a 59. The JB is a fairly hot pick up while the 59 is supposed to be like the PAF's of old. IOW it is a vintage low out put pick up. Dime used a Bill Lawrence XL500 which I have one and it is quite hot. Dime also used that 59 in the neck. The biggest thing to balance is how far from the strings the respective picks are.
are you sure you wired it up right ????
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Yes.

But it could have something to do with the strings moving more at the neckspot and thus producing more
electric current i.e more output :)
Dino

Post by Dino »

Stiltzkin wrote:Yes.

But it could have something to do with the strings moving more at the neckspot and thus producing more
I'm no electronics whiz but I'm pretty sure strings aren't suppose to produce electric current. :mrgreen:
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Dino wrote:

I'm no electronics whiz but I'm pretty sure strings aren't suppose to produce electric current. :mrgreen:
no they don't :lol: I didn't express myself clear enough :oops:
what I meant was that the more the strings move(like they do in the neckspot)
the more current is produced by the pickup :) so the neck pickup would be
considerably louder than it's bridge companion given that they have around
the same amount of power.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Dino wrote:

no they don't :lol: I didn't express myself clear enough :oops:
what I meant was that the more the strings move(like they do in the neckspot)
the more current is produced by the pickup :) so the neck pickup would be
considerably louder than it's bridge companion given that they have around
the same amount of power.
I'm kidding ... I understood what you meant, but I don't believe that is your issue.
The placement of the pickups up and down the length of the strings will effect tone, but I don't believe it would have an effect on volume. That's more likely due to the overall height of the pickup and/or pole pieces, IMO.

Or maybe you just have a bad pickup. :?: