RANDY RHOADS - Polkadot Flying V - HD VIDEO - RareElectricGu

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS - Polkadot Flying V - HD VIDEO - RareElectr

Post by randy will never die »

sytharnia wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
camdenlp wrote:Paul, I understand what you mean. But where is the shit-talking in this thread? Looks pretty civil imho. If anything, I believe your comments are as abrasive as any sometimes. Sorry, I just don't see this thread as anything more than a difference in opinions.
I reread through this thread and indeed it's been civil, I apologize for sounding abrasive.

As for the "in today's dollars" concept, I get that, with inflation and all. However, I believe you could still build the guitar Randy had for that price. The price of wood isn't that steep, you just have to know what you're doing. There's a HUGE profit margin built into all of these things - the wood, the parts, etc. The actual cost for the manufacturer is not in the $1000s.
this is true...all the guitars I have built would come in under $500

costs rise with all the "pretty" wood everyone seems obsessed with...and obviously labour is charged at a premium
how do you find out how much you can charge for labour
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:costs rise with all the "pretty" wood everyone seems obsessed with...and obviously labour is charged at a premium
I hate the 'pretty wood' thing! I prefer a simple sunburst Les Paul or Strat with NO flame maple or a just a decent paint job which can be achieved fairly inexpensively...

The labor is where the cost is for sure. There's no standard for charging for labor, you charge whatever you want, really.
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

randy will never die wrote:just look just because its cheap does not mean they are crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe63vKYqMI0
Afraid it does. Look at all the editing after whammy bar use. I don't buy the following quote either........

"Got to rember that there are a LOT of things that can make a guitar with a trem go out of tune
thats the fun part is when the go out of tune" quote.

It isn't fun. Millions of dollars and hrs have been spent on making products like floyd rose systems etc to keep the damn things in tune as it's annoying as hell for them to keep going out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxYfcKCpbY
Ahh ha ha, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
randy will never die
Mass Poster

I am not 1 to shy away form what I have said before but after watching the vid again I see what all of you mean

I just got excited when I saw the vid and jumped the gun a bit
:( :( :(
Sorry
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

randy will never die wrote:I am not 1 to shy away form what I have said before but after watching the vid again I see what all of you mean

I just got excited when I saw the vid and jumped the gun a bit
:( :( :(
Sorry
No need to apologise, we can all get a bit over excited :) especially with guitars, i do.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

It's good to see new members talking or typing lol

Most people who become a member don't comment on any thing
I am glad to me you
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

randy will never die wrote:It's good to see new members talking or typing lol

Most people who become a member don't comment on any thing
I am glad to me you
I comment too much sometimes and usualy get myself banned. Just thought the company in the video posted were not being honest with all the editing etc. As someone pointed out on the Youtube video page the guitar is all wrong. Randy would be spinning in his grave if he knew his name was being used to sell sub standard guitars.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Welcome to the site if you get into. Trouble ill Guard you a lot of people look after each other on this and I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good instremnt

Anyways I will make sure you are not banned and welcome to the site
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

randy will never die wrote: I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good instremnt
it isn't hard to make a good instrument...it is hard to make a great one though

the point of these cheap copies is just that, make them as cheaply as possible to maximise profit and to also keep them within reach price wise for the average fan.....given to a good luthier or someone who knows how to set a guitar up and i'm sure even these could be made to stay in tune.

I have a couple of chinese guitars (proper ones not "fakes" a tokai and an OLP)....and they are beautifully made instruments that stay in tune. The chinese tokai les pauls are amazing guitars at their price point, the neck on mine is as good as any guitar I have ever played and the fact I have owned it longer than I kept my gibson for speaks volumes for me....yes it did need a pick up change but then so did my gibbo so for a 10th of the price you can't go wrong
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

randy will never die wrote:Welcome to the site if you get into. Trouble ill Guard you a lot of people look after each other on this and I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good instremnt

Anyways I will make sure you are not banned and welcome to the site
Many thanks.
stollypop

Post by stollypop »

sytharnia wrote:
the point of these cheap copies is just that, make them as cheaply as possible to maximise profit and to also keep them within reach price wise for the average fan.....given to a good luthier or someone who knows how to set a guitar up and i'm sure even these could be made to stay in tune.
This is a very good point. Maybe i was hasty in saying that the guitar featured in the video was crap. As you point out they are kinda filling a need. Just think they need to be more honest and accurate if they are going to sell something on someones name.

To your other point.......

I can remember when companys started using Japan to manufacture, everyone was saying they would never be as good as American made Gibsons, Fenders etc etc. After a year or too they were turning out fantastic guitars just like China are starting to do now. Look how sought after early jap stuff is going for. I have a 1986 Fernandes Les Paul which i wouldn't swap for 10 American made Gibsons. Like you say costs are usually kept down with cheapeer electrics, hardware which is quite often changed on really expensive guitars too.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

These are made in Canada and I think may even be done by a member here on the board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDY-RHOADS-RR ... 1097351667
randy will never die
Mass Poster

BowTie29 wrote:These are made in Canada and I think may even be done by a member here on the board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDY-RHOADS-RR ... 1097351667

I think you mean zoesandra

Zoesandra has been selling PDVs for awhile and they are top notch
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Yeah, for a little bit extra I think it would be much better than the Chinese ones on the website you had previously posted
JasonRain

Post by JasonRain »

Sorry but that guitar sounded like ass