marshall jcm 800 original

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I had a Tube Screamer a while ago. That is a great pedal. 8)
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

NicDots wrote:I had a Tube Screamer a while ago. That is a great pedal. 8)
Indeed very good pedal!
However it has a certain mid bump one have to like. The Wylde OD in comparison has a more flat EQ response and so is more tranparent.

*another pedal I have lying around here (I have too many of them.... :lol: ) is the MXR GT-OD, it has a lot more overdrive and output volume than the Wylde OD, but it's also very transparent and warm. It's a bit darker in sound than the Wylde. The Wylde one is a bit more crispy sounding. The GT-OD is not cheap either but it's a very good pedal imo.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:also thinking of an eq pedal...any suggestions on one? i heard mxr is good,
Both the MXR reissue EQ's the 6 bands and the 10 bands are good eq's.
However I like the 6 bands better than the 10 bands for guitar because (to my ears) the sliders are better placed in the guitars midrange. Both MXR's give a little of that mxr sizzle to the sound. EVH used the 6 bands and Randy used the 10 bands EQ.

Another good EQ pedal is the Boss GE-7, which sounds a bit tighter than the MXR 6 bands eq. And it's not that expensive either.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

sweet!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

mxr 10 band eq is a very good pedal. it comes with distortion and volume sliders too so it is like having a mxr distortion plus built in. It was the first pedal i ever got, and it blew my socks off 8)

i dont really use it these days, but its a good thing to have

Rob
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

The 1959 Super Lead Plexi, is non master volume class A. Very good amp all things considered, expensive though, keep in mind though,

You will never be able to crank it up if you live in a town/city without an attenuator :!:

SLP's can be stubborn, they can yield great tone but it takes a lot of patience and IMO technique to get that sound. Many people say they're crap just because they don't appreciate this. :!:

Im still not 100% sure a marshall is the way to go though. If your gonna shelve out stacks of $$$ why not try a blackstar?

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products ... san30.html
much more versatile than either of those marshalls, most likely better build quality and better tone IMO, switchable 30watts for gigs or 10watts for single ended heavenly bedroom practice.
The Flying Dutchman

rice_pudding wrote:SLP's can be stubborn, they can yield great tone but it takes a lot of patience and IMO technique to get that sound. Many people say they're crap just because they don't appreciate this. :!:
That's true, it can take some time to find a way to use them. But once you do it's hard to go back! 8)

*if you go for that try to get an SLP1959 without an effect loop
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: Another good EQ pedal is the Boss GE-7, which sounds a bit tighter than the MXR 6 bands eq. And it's not that expensive either.
Hi Patrick

I used to use a Kerry King 10 band EQ and a Boss 10 band (my favourite of the two)

Anyway I hadn't used the GE-7 for ages, I suppose new set ups etc had made it redundant.

I have just discovered to my excitment the GE-7 works as a fantastic boost for the overdrive channel of my Laney amp. The Laney's overdrive is a pure sounding blues/rock channel, but can really go wild with the boost of the GE-7!!

I think it was only about £55 too.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

wareagle wrote:sure is, unfortunatly ther damn expensive. worth it tho.
It is a tad bit cheaper than the Marshall heads you are looking at. :P
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

wareagle wrote:sure is, unfortunatly ther damn expensive. worth it tho.
you could try a digitech bad monkey they are a very cheap tubescreamer by comparison to ibanez but they are still of a high quality.

also many companies make tubscreamer clones that are just as good as the originals and they cost less than the real deal. Toadworks for instance.

Rob
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:the only reason tht i can think of not to get the slp is tht it is FREAKING LOUD!!!!
Well there are ways to solve that! :)
Check out http://www.legendarytones.com/, read ALL articles under the amplifiers section and you will become a lot wiser.
Also a JCM Master volume amp only gives it´s best when it´s freaky loud..... :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.