the thing...

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

the thing...

Post by rice_pudding »

this is one of my guitars, i am its third owner i call it "the thing" and sometimes "the pop art". does anyone recognise what make it is or know anything about its origin etc? i wondered for ages where it came from

Beleieve it or not it is a production guitar and to my knowledge the finnish is original. Trust me its way to crap to be a custom :lol: its called "the thing" for a reason :wink:

the truss rod is currently broken and i think the body may be made of solid metal :?
Attachments
wide shot
wide shot
close up
close up
headstock
headstock
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

ahaha, that actually looks kinda cool.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

yeah, its more of a work of art than a musical instrument though :)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

'RicePudding'..'The Thing'

I love it :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

It does look cool :D

Any idea of the name of that action figure, cause that might help :D

Nice design, did it cost you alot?[/u]
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:It does look cool :D

the action figure is judge dread.

My grandma bought this guitar at a bootsale, years ago for my cousin so he could learn to play guitar it originaly came with an amp, in a starter kit i presume :?: . Years later when i started learnin to play he gave it to me. It cost my Grandma £20 in the mid to late 90s.

as i say though its only value now is as an art piece. Broken truss rod = no action. the trem cant be used cos the thread for the arm is broken, electrics have seen better days, its rusty... My cousin owned it so what can i say, it was almost new when he got it but he probably beat the crap out of it, just like he does with everything else. :lol: (notice all the nocks on the finnish etc.)

oh and like i said i think the body is solid metal. the body is one of the smallest i've seen yet it is the heaviest guitar i've ever held :? :o whats the heaviest wood you can get???
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:'RicePudding'..'The Thing'

hey, its maniacs like me that keep the world interresting :lol:
or maybe simon slipped me some of his tea when i wasnt looking :shock:
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

rice_pudding wrote:
Matthew wrote:'RicePudding'..'The Thing'

hey, its maniacs like me that keep the world interresting :lol:
or maybe simon slipped me some of his tea when i wasnt looking :shock:
I resent that! :shock:

*looks left looks right*

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

rice_pudding wrote:oh and like i said i think the body is solid metal. the body is one of the smallest i've seen yet it is the heaviest guitar i've ever held :? :o whats the heaviest wood you can get???
i don't think the guitar body would be made of metal it would of cost a small fortune to manufacture these and sell them on cheaply.Try running a magnet over it,or have a look inside the backplate for the trem springs.Give it a wee scratch to see if its metal under the paint.If its electrics are that bad i think it will only make a wall hanger, but it does look cool.It reminds me of the guitars that Anthrax played they had Judge Dred and other comic heroes customed onto the bodies...
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

rice_pudding wrote:
Stewie wrote:It does look cool :D

dread.

Broken truss rod = no action.

oh and like i said i think the body is solid metal. the body is one of the smallest i've seen yet it is the heaviest guitar i've ever held :? :o whats the heaviest wood you can get???
I doubt its metal. just my personal opinion. The heaviest wood you can get as far as i know for a guitar is Mahogany. The lightest is swampash as far as I know. If you are certain the truss rod is broken (make sure its not just the top screw) you can always get a new one relayed. They will basically take off the fretboard and fit a new rod for a couple hundred dollars. I thought when i first saw it, it looked like an old Fernandes from the early 80s but obviously you've said where it was obtained etc. Its a lovely looking guitar. You could make something out of it. New rod in it, rewire the electronics (as in, rip out the wire and start again) and just work on it as a project!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i dont really think its metal either although it does sound metallic :lol:

being made of metal is however the only way i can explain the weight. It weights more than a les paul but is only a little more than half as thick???

metal would be expensive but it does have a very thick finnish so the body, whatever it is, is smaller than it looks.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

rice_pudding wrote:i dont really think its metal either although it does sound metallic :lol:

being made of metal is however the only way i can explain the weight. It weights more than a les paul but is only a little more than half as thick???

metal would be expensive but it does have a very thick finnish so the body, whatever it is, is smaller than it looks.
What strings are on it if you mind me asking? I think you should follow Jakes lead and do it as a project. Most of the jobs that need doing on it, you could do yourself!
Last edited by skezza on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

skezza wrote:What strings are on it if you mind me asking :lol: ? I think you should follow Jakes lead and do it as a project. Most of the jobs that need doing on it, you could do yourself!
strings? well the last time i restrung it i put on ernie ball 10's which i think they call regular slinky's. I havent really played it sonce doing that i just wanted to clean it up and stuff before i put it to sleep for a while.

I was thinking of making a guitar in the summer, nothing too expensive, just a basic strat. Renovating this instrument might be a good idea, it would certainly be easier + the finnish is ok the way it is IMO.

I'll think about it, im not entirely convinced the finnished product would be worth the effort.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:I doubt its metal. just my personal opinion. The heaviest wood you can get as far as i know for a guitar is Mahogany. The lightest is swampash as far as I know. If you are certain the truss rod is broken (make sure its not just the top screw) you can always get a new one relayed. They will basically take off the fretboard and fit a new rod for a couple hundred dollars. I thought when i first saw it, it looked like an old Fernandes from the early 80s but obviously you've said where it was obtained etc. Its a lovely looking guitar. You could make something out of it. New rod in it, rewire the electronics (as in, rip out the wire and start again) and just work on it as a project!
i dont think its mahogany, doesnt sound like it to me anyway :? In all honesty id rather buy a new neck more to my liking than pay a couple of hundred dolars to fix a truss rod.

It could be from the 80s. It was bought secondhand, so its possible. It came with an amp when my grandma got it so i think it might have been part of a starter kit, but who knows...
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Is there any sort of serial on it, that may indicate the year it was made? Im sure you've already looked but always a shot. I actually think you should do it just for the fun :D :lol:. Maybe when we hook up one time you can bring it along and I can see just how heavy this beast is! Im curious now! :D