my version of randys chip pan (pedalboard)

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

my version of randys chip pan (pedalboard)

Post by randy will never die »

I started to design the power supply. Then I built two rectifiers with regulated output. One for +9VDC and one for +18VDC. I bought the transformers from finnish factory called Trafox Muuntosahko Oy. When all the power supply units were ready, I installed them to an old power supply box. There a small fan that can be used to suck the warm air out of the box.

it was time to mount the pedals to the board and do the wiring. I used George L's .255 Cable. Instead I used regular plugs and soldered the George L's cable to them. I used relays to switch the effects in/out of the signal chain. I built a relay box which has 5 miniature relays inside. All the effects are plugged into this box. On the back of the box, there's a 15-pin female D connector. A cable goes from there to another 15-pin female D connector which is connected to the stomp switches. Ground (-) goes straight to all relays. Plus (+) is divided to 5 independent wires. Each wire goes through the cable to it's own stomp switch. When the stomp switch is on, the plus (+) that came to the stomp switch, goes back to the relays in another wire. This switches the relay on and lights the led. At first I was going to use a special led switching unit to switch the leds. Shortly after I built the unit, I figured another, easier way to do the led switching.

Is this person on the right track ?
The website I copied this from is old so
Does any body have any thoughts about this dudes plan
Last edited by randy will never die on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illiterate bastard

Re: my version of randys chip pan (pedalboard)

Post by illiterate bastard »

Here, let me help you out with the picture of the pedal board:

So.... Is this you're website? Because if not, this person built one EXACTLY like yours! Except they knew how to post pics and stuff. Funny, their description of the build matched your description word for word. Odd, wouldn't you say?

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/Myeq.htm

First dead giveaway was correct spelling and grammar.... :roll:

Why would you come here and try to pass someone else's work off as your own?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Show stopper.... bring on the tumble weed..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

illiterate bastard wrote:So.... Is this you're website? Because if not, this person built one EXACTLY like yours! Except they knew how to post pics and stuff. Funny, their description of the build matched your description word for word. Odd, wouldn't you say?

Good detective work...
Attachments
hmmmm.JPG
illiterate bastard

Post by illiterate bastard »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
illiterate bastard wrote:So.... Is this you're website? Because if not, this person built one EXACTLY like yours! Except they knew how to post pics and stuff. Funny, their description of the build matched your description word for word. Odd, wouldn't you say?

Good detective work...

Nah, I just saw correct spelling/grammar and became suspicious. LOL! So, I copied and pasted the "build" into google and it took me right to that website.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

illiterate bastard wrote:Nah, I just saw correct spelling/grammar and became suspicious. LOL!
you know, I haven't seen that website in ages, but something triggered my memory when
he started talking about powersupplies from a finnish factory.

...that and the grammar 8)
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

illiterate bastard wrote:Here, let me help you out with the picture of the pedal board:

So.... Is this you're website? Because if not, this person built one EXACTLY like yours! Except they knew how to post pics and stuff. Funny, their description of the build matched your description word for word. Odd, wouldn't you say?

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.tammilehto/Myeq.htm

First dead giveaway was correct spelling and grammar.... :roll:

Why would you come here and try to pass someone else's work off as your own?
did not try to pass what they did off as mine i copyed what they did sence they know more about the tecnolgy part than i do
if i wanted to say i came up with the idea myself i would have BUT I AM NOT THAN KIND OF PERSON I SHOULD HAVE LINKED THE SITE BUT I WAS CRUNCHED ON TIME BUT YOU DID THAT PART FOR ME
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:did not try to pass what they did off as mine i copyed what they did sence they know more about the tecnolgy part than i do
if i wanted to say i came up with the idea myself i would have BUT I AM NOT THAN KIND OF PERSON I SHOULD HAVE LINKED THE SITE BUT I WAS CRUNCHED ON TIME BUT YOU DID THAT PART FOR ME
oh yes you did. and don't try 'I'm crunched on time' because copying a link takes exactly as long as to copy that text.
if you think about it, since you have to mark the text before you copy, it probably takes less time to copy the link :lol:
equinox

Post by equinox »

Here's my clone of Randy's pedalboard (Chip Pan) I built Nov 2019 and finished for this 40th memorial 3/19/2022 and posted over at the pedalboard thread. Enjoy!

To my knowledge, it is the ONLY real clone and not just a bunch of pedals built on plywood that anyone has done and in 40 years!! :O

p.s. - took the pics after I removed the old labels as originally had 1/4" indicators, then went to larger ones when seen the pedalboard at RARHOF and that they are more like 1/2" (12mm) and hadn't put the labels back on after drilling and installing the larger ones. I will post the final photos. Also, thinking about painting the switches gray instead of black like Randy's to make it even more authentic. The door for the MXR EQ I don't plan on installing on this unit as additional work would need to be done and parts found. I'm happy with it like it is and some people have indicated they like the black switched better than the gray, but the gray's pop more, so not sure at this point. An easy thing to paint if I want gray.

Enjoy and long live Randy Rhoads!!
Attachments
02.jpg
equinox

Post by equinox »

Hey guys, forgot to add on 4/26, I could not let it go and painted the switches the correct color as Randy's to make the board even more authentic!! :O
The perfectionism never stops!! God Bless Randy Rhoads.
Attachments
IMG_20220426_124948742.jpg
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Awesome job... Was all the effort worth it... Does it sound as good as it looks.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yep! Just like Randy's!!
Even can turn the Space Echo and Delay on/off from the pedalboard!!
I'll post videos this Summer some time.

Gotta add the labels back above the lamps and install it back into the rest of the enclosure and roadcase.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Hey guys

I need to take some pro photos with a white or green background, but finished the pedalboard Labor Day weekend after finalizing on the custom looper I designed and used under the hood, painted the pedals gray like Randy's and finally spray painted "RANDY RHOADS" and "HANDLE WITH CARE" on the road case, head, and cabinet!

It is 1-of-1 on and the only authentic clone of Randy's complete rig including exact clone of his pedalboard as humanly possible!

Every pedal is era correct and 1978-1980 and even the looper, I designed using components that were available during the 70s instead of upgrading to say a micro-processor modern approach!

I'll get even better pro photos as well as clips, but wanted to give everyone an update!

It works exactly as designed, looping in the pedals in the correct order as well as master bypass of all the effects! Likewise, the EXT and ECHO pedals shunt tip to sleeve and can trigger the units on and off from the pedalboard!!

Enjoy!
Attachments
DSCN0664-2.jpg
DSCN0663-2.jpg
DSCN0662-2.jpg
DSCN0661-2.jpg
DSCN0660-2.jpg
DSCN0659-2.jpg