Heavy Metal Holocaust, Port Vale, UK, august 1, 1981

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Heavy Metal Holocaust, Port Vale, UK, august 1, 1981

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Today exactly 25 years ago! Great performance of Randy & 'the blizzard of Ozz'!

Here some 'fantastic shots' of this legendary concert:

>>> Picture is taken by Alan Perry: <<<

>>> Pictures below are taken by Robert Ellis <<<

Lets have a listen to this legendary concert today! 8)
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

Wow! Really cool pictures. Some of them i've never seen before. Thanks alot!
atomicpunk5151

Post by atomicpunk5151 »

Killer pics, Thanks!
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It's hard to believe a guy in red leather could look so cool!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This was great show and a favorite of mine, I am hoping to post up my copy of the show in the free audio section very soon. I think people would like to hear it it is not the version that people will have heard before it was recorded by another source. 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Thanks Dutch...The photos are awesome. Randy looks like an absolute rock god. As a longtime Sarzo fan, I appreciate the shots of him manhandling his bass. What a band these guys were. They were truly incredible. Over the years, there have been many "world class" musicians....but this lineup was something special.....
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
andy m

Post by andy m »

VERY VERY COOL Pictures!! Can't help be stair :cry:

Thanks for sharing!

Andy
Rhoads4ever

Post by Rhoads4ever »

Awesome pics indeed . I had a chance to go to Port vale but decided against it lol , silly man I know .

Still saw Randy twice on the Blizzard 80 tour in London so all's well ended well ;-)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is a review from the Portvale Heavy Metal Holocaust 1st August 1981

"When I count to three I want everyone to shout YEAH! One, two, three…" YEAH! "I said when I count to three I want everyone to shout YEAH! One, two, three…" YEEEAAAHHH! "Come on, grab yer bollocks and give it the Ozzy treatment! One, two, three…" YEEEAAAHHH! Festivals, especially HM ones, seem to have a language all their own. With British bands it tends to reflect a concern for the audience's health, hence the almost obligatory "AREYERALLRIGHT?", whilst Americans, intent on providing the proverbial good time, prefer to use words like "party" (pronounced "PAWTY!") to make their point. At Port Vale both approaches were on view but it was Ozzy's typically subtle cajoling that most profoundly stirred a rank and file assembly judged by one local hack as 40,000 strong.
And so to Ozzy and his band, late replacements for Sabbath who pulled out due to either "recording commitment" or a fear of Motorhead, depending on whose story you believe. Personally I'm prepared to give the Sabs the benefit of the doubt, particularly as their absence made way for a new slimline Ozz to deliver the most enjoyable set of the day. As usual he revelled in the atmosphere shouting "WE LOVE YOU ALL" (several times) and stalking the stage with demented glee whilst new boys Rudi Sarzo (bass) and Tommy Aldridge (drums) proved an aggressive combination and guitarist Randy Rhoads stole axe-hero of the day with eminent ease. Of the newer material 'Crazy Train' and 'Suicide Solution' were outstanding but it was the Sabbath oldies that predictably gleaned the best response. 'Iron Man' and 'Children of the Grave' had every hand clenched and in the air whilst the encore, a rejuvenated 'Paranoid', proved an ideal neck-loosener for the main event.

Riot and Ozzy certainly made a few friends on the day and Motorhead confirmed their popularity in style but overall it was probably Port Vale FC who gained most from events, hosting their biggest crowd of the season and making a handsome £25,000 profit to boot. Yeah!
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

What do you recon these people are doing?
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Anyone out there?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

i actually dont know what there doing, but its one of Ells conspiracy theories :lol:. Its possible they are pro shot recording it, but have we seen anything yet? Nope!
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

skezza wrote:i actually dont know what there doing, but its one of Ells conspiracy theories :lol:. Its possible they are pro shot recording it, but have we seen anything yet? Nope!
Bastard :lol:

No but seriously, look at the people in the Rudy picture, looks very suspicious to me. The Randy one is a bit of a longshot from it being people with video cameras, but the Rudy one...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That just looks like someone has climbed over the barrier to get a better view on the Rudy photo.The Randy photo is probably the same if you look at one of the stand is cordened off and the barrier has been climbed over to get closer to the stage.I can remember the likes of the Reading Rock festival being filmed with cameras for the large screens either side of the stage, but the HMH Portvale gig didn't have any screens.