pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Post by sytharnia »

Shockwave wrote: Regarding the jacks on the right side next to the fuse holder. I would say that is a folder but I think the jacks are actually toggle switches. I noticed this a couple weeks ago on a couple other pics of the pedal board. If they are in fact toggle switches I would guess one is for the power of the board which makes sense as it’s right next to the fuse holder. The other switch would be to toggle the wah pedal in and out of the effects loop chain. Just a guess of course but it would answer the question of how he was able to get those two completely different wah days live.
yep even from the top bad photo they look like switches, both switched down
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

equinox wrote: On a seperate note, looks like I posted a photo previously, but found a good photo of the back of the pedalboard in Bob Daisley's book I purchased a couple days ago (For Facts Sake). You can clearly see when facing the pedalboard, there are 8 equally spaced jacks on the left side and 3 things on the right which looks like 2 jacks and a fuse holder! - fyi
Aye i would remove the photo before SKY goes into arse kicking mode.. If it's Bob's its not good to use it any where just a shame he doesn't roll with the same rules.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Shockwave wrote:
equinox wrote:He guys. Sorry, got tied up with a TON of things...house, vehicle stuff.

ok. I'm off as of today until 1/2, soo have a couple weeks off and although a few things to do, will only take me a couple days to do, soo I'll have time to finished the pedalboard (along with other things).

I also got side-tracked. I built a "tribute" head like 7-9 years ago that got the amp/OD tone with just the head, but decided to re-wire it and just make it a 50-watt version with a master control. The end result....same thing as the big brother, but you can turn the damn thing down. I designed a customer 1x12 slant cabinet and had one speaker in it, then decided to put an extra Altec I had in it. Ther result...spot-on amp/cabinet tone! :) However, the cab is black and the head is white, soo, thinking about havnig my guy build me another cabinet in white!! We'll see. I'll probably have the pedalboard done next weekend and will then post results and photos.

On a seperate note, looks like I posted a photo previously, but found a good photo of the back of the pedalboard in Bob Daisley's book I purchased a couple days ago (For Facts Sake). You can clearly see when facing the pedalboard, there are 8 equally spaced jacks on the left side and 3 things on the right which looks like 2 jacks and a fuse holder! - fyi
Nice!

Regarding the jacks on the right side next to the fuse holder. I would say that is a folder but I think the jacks are actually toggle switches. I noticed this a couple weeks ago on a couple other pics of the pedal board. If they are in fact toggle switches I would guess one is for the power of the board which makes sense as it’s right next to the fuse holder. The other switch would be to toggle the wah pedal in and out of the effects loop chain. Just a guess of course but it would answer the question of how he was able to get those two completely different wah days live.
Yeah, I didnt get it done over the holidays! Got a LOT of chores done and happy for that..but not everything and the pedalboard was one of them unfortunately.

Yeah, I have no idea, only speculation. If you have additional photos...post them. Since powering the pedals off 120V and included an isloation power strip underneath, yeah, I should and will add a fushholder also. I plan on working on it today....finally!

As far as the wah pedal, a couple things...1. I'm reading Bob Daisley's book I got over the holidays. Great read. Spoilers...It confirms Pete Holmes built it, when Randy received it, and also the cost! It was a lot like 1000# or 2000# (I'd have to look it up to confirm), but a lot of money at the time I would think. 2. dont think the switch on back would have anything to do with the wah. The foot switches already include an on/off for the wah and the wah is external to the pedalboard itself, so easy enough to just run cords external and not hard-wired, but could be wrong. I'd have to think about it. I never drew up the actual wiring diagram....yet. I just procured all the pedals, designed the exclosure and had it made and drilled and mounted all of the pots and switches and cut the whole for the EQ where its supposed to be.

I may end up pulling out the LEDs and intalling lamp indicators. I actually found something very similar to Randy's and have them in transit to the states from Austrailia! ...but that was the intention...build it up and later on add an even more representative indicator lamps and pedal switch.

Over the holidays, I had a 50w single input head I built like 7-9 years ago, hi gain to get the same type of tone as the modified 1959 Marshall and pedal, but all out of the head. I decided to convert it to the 1959RR spec, single input (modified channel) and of course scaled down to 50 watts. I put one of my extra Altect 417-8Hs in a custom 1x12 cab I designed....sounds killer. Randy in a small box. The head is white, but cab is black, so having a white 1x12 cab made for it. Easy to transport around, but still get the Rhoads tone! :)
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Any updates about pedalboard, equinox? I was reading these old posts again and wondered if you got close to Randy's sound?
I had some of the pedals that Randy had in his board, they're long gone now... :| Maybe I will get some of those back again and build myself another pedalboard!!! :mrgreen:
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

stealaway wrote:Any updates about pedalboard, equinox? I was reading these old posts again and wondered if you got close to Randy's sound?
I had some of the pedals that Randy had in his board, they're long gone now... :| Maybe I will get some of those back again and build myself another pedalboard!!! :mrgreen:
WOW, just seeing this post from June, but as everyone I'm sure can agree....with the whole COVID thing, this year has gne to shit!

It's been almost a year (Nov 2019) since I started this endeavor and made some huge progress initially, but then haven't worked on it since!!

I want to, but a lot of stuff came up. All I needed to do was wire it up. I paid the money and picked up all of the original pedals from 1978-1980, so they are period correct. I was worried about how to approach the EQuilizer as it had a door to cover it so settings would not be touched by people once set and also keep dirt out. A friend used a CNC and routed it out perfectly and I mounted it to the top piece.

I originally was just going to use 5mm LEDs with black bezels, but since found a source for some lights (I dont even remember where I got them now, maybe Europe) that are more similar to his original ones, so need to decide to install them or just use the current ones (can always be swapped out later).

I just started this week back into it and working on a layout of the wiring. For some things like the EQ, it's simple to install a typical true-byass setup for the signal. I had to think how to install and overall master defeat switch. The switches to turn the delay or echo on and off while lighting the lamps is easy.

The issues I'm currently working thru are:

1. How to hook up some of pedals as they are not originally true-bypass nor LED and are switched with a 3-pin toggle and toggles the one pin between the 2 other wires. There is about 3 different ways to do this. I wish I knew how Pete approached it. I'll have to finalize on this so that I can move forward, but will reference the pedal schematics and see how it's switched to determine final direction.

2. The other funny thing is, there is an input for the pedalboard, but the signal path is guitar => volume => wah => Distortion + => EQ => Flanger => Stereo Chorus. There is no defeat for the volume, soo I assume the guitar actually goes to it first, then from the volume pedal into the board. But there is a switch to bypass the wah! Soo now you'd have to have wires and signal coming out of the pedalbard to the wah and back!! Need to figure out best way to do that. The Rig Layout suggests the guitar goes directly into the board! That would be cool, but then somewhere you'd need drill holes in the pedalbaord to go in and out to the Volume pedal. The wah would need to be powered from the power distribution I put in the pedalboard and additional holes in the pedalboard with power jacks unless using batteries. tbd

3. There are jacks at the top back of the pedalboard, which I spoke about before. Looking over the various photos, it appears there are 7 jacks on the top left side from the back. I have these all drilled and jacks mounted, but need to understand what these are all for, or if there are more. In the Rig Layout, it's showing 5 jack. First, they are on the WRONG side and from all of the photos available. Secondly, 5 does not make sense nor match the photos. It clearly looks like 7 (which I already have drilled) if not more. I believe they are as follows: Input, Bypass for Delay (to turn on and off), Bypass for Echo Footswitch, Chorus Out L (to Space Echo IN), Chorus Out Right (to Yamaha Delay IN). The problem is that is only 5 jacks in total and I can clearly see 7 (thou can't find a photo with the middle 2 connected)!

Soo, I gotta figure out how I want to approach these before I can finalize it and document how I did it with a layout so I dont forget should I need to troubleshoot or duplicate.

I contacted Dave (Friedman) on which wires to use as have a few to choose from. He said just use the Mugami.

That's about it. I am looking forward at completing this as much as some of you guys, but I want it done and done right, BUT, should I figure this out, I can wire it up in a day!

STAY TUNED! Hopefully coming very soon!!
ahxic12

Post by ahxic12 »

Any news about this?
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yep!

Since the last posts, I went forward forward with procuring some footswitches like Randy used instead of going with a latching 3PDT switch.
Likewise, I worked on a bunch of discrete flip-flop circuits, but was eating up a lot of time troubleshooting, so I just decided to purchase a unit someone else designed that is basically exactly what I need! He's waiting on some components next week sometime and should be done and shipped out. Lastly I'm going to get rid of the LED's and black bezels again with some lamps similar to Randys, so this thing will be as close as humanly possible to his pedalboard!

I likewise bartered with someone and now have an original 1979-1980 Roland RE-201 Space Echo!! :O

So I now will have Randy's EXACT rig once the pedalboard is done!! Target is about 2 weeks and this endeavor and dream will come to fruition and once complete, I will post photos and details about it, so stay tuned!! :O :)
equinox

Post by equinox »

Sorry guys. Been almost another month but had a guy make a micro-based looper/switcher for this project (though have a different n easier way if i ever build another Rhoads pedalboard, and it's still in transit and delivery scheduled for Wednesday, so will probably twist up next weekend,
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

One day it will be ready, one day!!! Have you kept any "diary" of the process? I was thinking of fixing myself a new (or old-new) pedalboard too, let's see!!!
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

looper in hand over the weekend and correct LED/lamps!

I will start wiring it up this week, so stay tuned! :)

Yes, I have everything blueprinted, and so if anyone wanted one, I could re-create it (supplier sources, dimensions, Bill of Materials, etc)!! :)
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Keep us updated and remember to take some photos!!! :mrgreen:
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Just checking in. Been a lot going on that even though I have all of the parts....have not had the time to finish this endeavor!! :O

On a good note...i now have everything I need to get done finalized! This means, unless something significant happens and soon...I should have Randy's pedalboard complete by the end of next weekend! :) Looking forward to it. Stay tuned.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Howdy!!! It´s good that you have kept on it at least!!! It´s been so hot that I personally have found it difficult to get into anything... :shock:
Mikel
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Got myself this. It´s a chinese knock-off copy :mrgreen: Was quite cheap, but I´ve played it a bit and will do some adjustments.
Attachments
Concorde.jpg
Mikel
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Should be a good opportunity to finally take some
decent pictures of Randy’s pedalboard. It will be on display along with the white Concorde at the RNR HOF for 1 year starting this fall.

It’s about a 10 hour drive from the Boston area so I think I am going to make a trip out there late in the year or in the spring. Just in case the exhibit is a little too far away I will bring a few gadgets so all sides except the back (if not standing vertical) will get photographed no matter what.

Attachments
9BE00DA4-9A3D-4FB3-A445-BC86139E7ABD_1_201_a.jpeg