pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Post by Shockwave »

Also, somewhat related..I was reading some interviews awhile back from engineers who were part of the 1959RR release. Even though Randy did not use the modded high gain input on his Marshalls, the modification they did also greatly affected the low inputs that he was always plugged into.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Shockwave wrote:Keep in mind Randy likely moved things around regarding the signal chain while on tour..

His wah pedal was routed into the effects loop for a good portion of his Ozzy time. This is why it was so overpowering and really couldn't be used in the standard wah format you would expect. Just listen to after hours version of I don't know at the very end. Randy is looking over at Rudy and laughing about it, Rudy and Tommy likely never heard anything like that before and were only exposed to it a couple weeks prior when they joined the banned. I have never heard a wah scream like that from anyone before or after Randy.

I think during June/July 1981 is when he had the signal chain changed. The wah was moved back in front of the amp as the wah "scream" at the end of I don't know is nowhere near what it was earlier in the tour. The wah sounds more like a standard wah when he used it during the middle of Children of the Grave during the Montreal show. During this time frame is when I think he placed the chorus in the effects loop which gave him that glassy sound from June 1981 to the end of the Blizzard tour. Prior to this I believe he had the chorus in the front of the amp, not standard practice but I am pretty sure that's what he was doing.

Diary Tour... I always thought he used the chorus during the Diary of a Madman tour but over the last few years I have started to believe that that chorus sound was applied to the whole band through the soundboard and house PA. You can clearly hear Randy's stage tone during New Mexico footage that we got with the 30 years after footage. He has no chorus or delay applied and its his same tone as the early USA blizzard tour, just pumping more air it seems (volume). If you listen to the audience bootlegs of the Diary tour his sound (and the band) is nowhere near as chorusy as the soundboard board tapes we have, nor like the ET/two on the town footage as well. This is likely referencing what Randy stated about the soundman adding affects and him not having to as much anymore.

If I had to guess..
Randy's Marshall/Stage Tone - 0% Chorus
Randy PA Sound - Wet - 25-30% chorus added and this is what played through the house PA (Rudy as well, his bass sounds really weird during the tour)
Soundboard Recording/Tapes - Wet - 60-70% chorus applied seemingly to the entire band

None of the diagrams state this but I think one or more of his pedals may could be switched in an out of the effects loop via one of this pedals. It's literally a 5-10 change that any competent tech could have been implemented.

Lastly, if you want to get really really close to the wah sound on the Montreal sound I mentioned above, try the old chrome Morley PWB. I had one of those and it sounded exactly like that shows wah through my Marshalls.
Dude, seriously?? Your entire paragraph is filled with speculation! Do you have first hand knowledge?? If not, I will have to disregard the entire thing and focus on what I know and testing the pedals and amps out and settings myself and what is known. If you have imperical evidence or first hand knowledge...please provide.

"i think"
"i always thought"
"if I had to guess"
"i think"

Everything I'm integrating is by 1st hand knowledge, like the signal path. Someone (Wolf or someone) actually seen it first hand and documented the path. Good enough for me. You can see the EQ settings with the door open on the pedalboard clearly, so there's no ambiguity where he liked them approximately. As far as the amp, you can see in the live photos what was done and daisy-chaining amps into the hi and lo to high of next amp.

Again, no offense, but this the kind of information I'm looking for. Imperical proof, else, just speculation.

On another note, clipped pig-tails, 90deg jacks, and roll of Mogami cable came in. Studying, so busy until next weekend, then it's on like donkey kong, but parts are in!

Oh, and my bad. After the last post, I searched for Bernie Torme and then it donned on me....he died recently in March 2019, so he will be impossible to reach...except in heaven as Randy! :(
Oh,
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

equinox wrote: the kind of information I'm looking for. Imperical proof
These pics should be very interesting to you, look closely to the 'yellow' boss style pedal on top of the pedalboard.
I think he used the Boss OD1 there. It's hard to say if this pedal was plugged in the external loop, maybe you can figure out when zooming in, if it was the Boss OD1 and in the external loop, this may say something about the position of the external loop in the signal chain.
(yes this is also a bit speculation, but the pics are not and may give you more insight)

Check out this old topic: Did Randy try a Boss OD1 ?
Attachments
Clevelan_may_11th_1981_Boss_OD1_question_946252_3348453286068_1977926806_n.jpg
rhoads2_E_Boss_OD1_question.JPG
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

equinox wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Keep in mind Randy likely moved things around regarding the signal chain while on tour..

His wah pedal was routed into the effects loop for a good portion of his Ozzy time. This is why it was so overpowering and really couldn't be used in the standard wah format you would expect. Just listen to after hours version of I don't know at the very end. Randy is looking over at Rudy and laughing about it, Rudy and Tommy likely never heard anything like that before and were only exposed to it a couple weeks prior when they joined the banned. I have never heard a wah scream like that from anyone before or after Randy.

I think during June/July 1981 is when he had the signal chain changed. The wah was moved back in front of the amp as the wah "scream" at the end of I don't know is nowhere near what it was earlier in the tour. The wah sounds more like a standard wah when he used it during the middle of Children of the Grave during the Montreal show. During this time frame is when I think he placed the chorus in the effects loop which gave him that glassy sound from June 1981 to the end of the Blizzard tour. Prior to this I believe he had the chorus in the front of the amp, not standard practice but I am pretty sure that's what he was doing.

Diary Tour... I always thought he used the chorus during the Diary of a Madman tour but over the last few years I have started to believe that that chorus sound was applied to the whole band through the soundboard and house PA. You can clearly hear Randy's stage tone during New Mexico footage that we got with the 30 years after footage. He has no chorus or delay applied and its his same tone as the early USA blizzard tour, just pumping more air it seems (volume). If you listen to the audience bootlegs of the Diary tour his sound (and the band) is nowhere near as chorusy as the soundboard board tapes we have, nor like the ET/two on the town footage as well. This is likely referencing what Randy stated about the soundman adding affects and him not having to as much anymore.

If I had to guess..
Randy PA Sound - Wet - 25-30% chorus added and this is what played through the house PA (Rudy as well, his bass sounds really weird during the tour)
Soundboard Recording/Tapes - Wet - 60-70% chorus applied seemingly to the entire band

None of the diagrams state this but I think one or more of his pedals may could be switched in an out of the effects loop via one of this pedals. It's literally a 5-10 change that any competent tech could have been implemented.

Lastly, if you want to get really really close to the wah sound on the Montreal sound I mentioned above, try the old chrome Morley PWB. I had one of those and it sounded exactly like that shows wah through my Marshalls.
Dude, seriously?? Your entire paragraph is filled with speculation! Do you have first hand knowledge?? If not, I will have to disregard the entire thing and focus on what I know and testing the pedals and amps out and settings myself and what is known. If you have imperical evidence or first hand knowledge...please provide.

"i think"
"i always thought"
"if I had to guess"
"i think"

Everything I'm integrating is by 1st hand knowledge, like the signal path. Someone (Wolf or someone) actually seen it first hand and documented the path. Good enough for me. You can see the EQ settings with the door open on the pedalboard clearly, so there's no ambiguity where he liked them approximately. As far as the amp, you can see in the live photos what was done and daisy-chaining amps into the hi and lo to high of next amp.

Again, no offense, but this the kind of information I'm looking for. Imperical proof, else, just speculation.

On another note, clipped pig-tails, 90deg jacks, and roll of Mogami cable came in. Studying, so busy until next weekend, then it's on like donkey kong, but parts are in!

Oh, and my bad. After the last post, I searched for Bernie Torme and then it donned on me....he died recently in March 2019, so he will be impossible to reach...except in heaven as Randy! :(
Oh,
Everything I stated is not speculation, its called an educated guess based on 30+ years of playing guitar, using my ears, and reading and listening everything relating to Randy Rhoads from the late 1980's to now.

- Go listen to the bootlegs, progressional recorded, soundboards, and live videos I mentioned.. If you can't tell the differences between no chorus, chorus, and LOTS of chorus, then there may be possible health concerns to look into.

- Turn your distortion on and play with wah or chorus in the loop and then in the front. If you don't hear a noticeable difference then effects loop doesn't work , you don't have one, or you need to turn your amp on.

- The only "imperical evidence" you have is based on Wolf Marshall's supposed signal chain and drawings. His diagram and signal chain could have been made by anyone back then or today and no-one would question it, the signal path is what 95% of guitarist prefer to use then and today for analog affects. Wolf Marshall was the Madonna of Guitar Tabs and alike type of info back then, no one second guessed him. I am curious about this as well so I will ask Kathy and see if she remembers anything about Wolf's visit to tear open Randy's board (he must have forgotten his camera as well).

- The photos of Randy's settings are quite obvious and has been discussed here and everywhere else for 10+ years now (1959RR release, Ridgefarm Photos etc..). He had baselines that he would start with as with any amp, scratched in as you can see in his actual amps. If you have tube amp then you know that humidity and temperature will effect the sound greatly, especially when wide swings are involved.

I really doubt that Randy was like...
"Leave my mid's at 7.2 no matter what"
"Weld my EQ door shut so it can never be changed"
"Don't ever change my signal path, if my sound drastically changes its because you are wrong"
"Guys, see my tuning pegs on my guitars? When in standard tuning they will be at the 4:30 position when viewing from from the southwest"
equinox

Post by equinox »

Shockwave wrote:
equinox wrote:

If I had to guess..

"i think"
"i always thought"
"if I had to guess"
"i think"

Oh,
Everything I stated is not speculation, its called an educated guess based on 30+ years of playing guitar, using my ears, and reading and listening everything relating to Randy Rhoads from the late 1980's to now.

- Go listen to the bootlegs, progressional recorded, soundboards, and live videos I mentioned.. If you can't tell the differences between no chorus, chorus, and LOTS of chorus, then there may be possible health concerns to look into.

- Turn your distortion on and play with wah or chorus in the loop and then in the front. If you don't hear a noticeable difference then effects loop doesn't work , you don't have one, or you need to turn your amp on.

- The only "imperical evidence" you have is based on Wolf Marshall's supposed signal chain and drawings. His diagram and signal chain could have been made by anyone back then or today and no-one would question it, the signal path is what 95% of guitarist prefer to use then and today for analog affects. Wolf Marshall was the Madonna of Guitar Tabs and alike type of info back then, no one second guessed him. I am curious about this as well so I will ask Kathy and see if she remembers anything about Wolf's visit to tear open Randy's board (he must have forgotten his camera as well).

- The photos of Randy's settings are quite obvious and has been discussed here and everywhere else for 10+ years now (1959RR release, Ridgefarm Photos etc..). He had baselines that he would start with as with any amp, scratched in as you can see in his actual amps. If you have tube amp then you know that humidity and temperature will effect the sound greatly, especially when wide swings are involved.

I really doubt that Randy was like...
"Leave my mid's at 7.2 no matter what"
"Weld my EQ door shut so it can never be changed"
"Don't ever change my signal path, if my sound drastically changes its because you are wrong"
"Guys, see my tuning pegs on my guitars? When in standard tuning they will be at the 4:30 position when viewing from from the southwest"
Yeah, I'd like to get feedback from Kathy/Kelli, Pete and Wolf directly and compare notes. It's been a long while. I like the fact that when Wolf's input came, it really was only a couple years after Randy died! That's good. Now we have to deal with everyone's memories fading and becoming sketchy.

Yeah, I'm sure many things needed adjustment due to going thru tubes or the region played in and temperature. But baseline should get you very close and adjust slightly from baseline. Again, it's amazing how close I got just playing thru the vintage guitar into the Distortion+, into the 1959RR into the Altecs. THAT combination right there, with the correct settings and EQ, gets you 95-99% there and things like Chorus, Echo, etc....that's all color more than tone.

Studying and test tomorrow, then I'm back on this...finally (thought I'd be done by Labor Day, but with the property and 300 yards of dirt to deal with and delaying studying and now studying for the test, I have had ZERO time over the last couple months!
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yeah, I don't know about the OD1. I see the input is pluged in, so hooked up somehow whether activated or not. Maybe he needed something for the gig and the Distortion+ was not working or maybe later favored it over the Distortion+?!? These are the first pictures I've seen of this. Looks like his tech (Pete Mertens) is kneeling behind him on the right in the one photo! :) In the other I noted again...the slant cabs actually on TOP of the straight cabs! Very cool.

Remember, the 3 pedals and EQ were hardwired in the pedalboard, soo if say he Distortion+ was not working, it could not be just swapped in. It does have an input, soo still could route it...Guitar => Volume => Wah => OD1, then into the board. Better than OD before the pedals and still hit the from.

I'll make sure all pedals are similar and True-Bypass, soo one isn't working...switch it off and you could do something like this. soo, there are benefits of not hard-wiring in the pedals and leaving them external...smart!

I'm going to pull the original pedals out of their enclosures and mount them on the bottom piece of the pedalboard. I purchased locking pigtails, so I can hook them to the board and also to the pots and then connect them all and put the top on and rescrew it...that's the plan.

I'm going to use 3PDT switches and one set of pins run on a power distributed B+ line with serial resistors and when engaged, just ground it to get the LEDS (not lamps) to light up.

We have the technology now, soo somethings like this will be modernized...3PDT switches, LEDs. I'm going to put a Fortin ZUUL in the board and monitoring the input to make absolutely quiet when not playing.

With modern technology, I'm also temped to just add a delay also...but we'll see. Is this going to be a modernized version or keep true to the original??
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

equinox wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to get feedback from Kathy/Kelli, Pete and Wolf directly and compare notes. It's been a long while. I like the fact that when Wolf's input came, it really was only a couple years after Randy died! That's good. Now we have to deal with everyone's memories fading and becoming sketchy.

Yeah, I'm sure many things needed adjustment due to going thru tubes or the region played in and temperature. But baseline should get you very close and adjust slightly from baseline. Again, it's amazing how close I got just playing thru the vintage guitar into the Distortion+, into the 1959RR into the Altecs. THAT combination right there, with the correct settings and EQ, gets you 95-99% there and things like Chorus, Echo, etc....that's all color more than tone.

Studying and test tomorrow, then I'm back on this...finally (thought I'd be done by Labor Day, but with the property and 300 yards of dirt to deal with and delaying studying and now studying for the test, I have had ZERO time over the last couple months!
Agreed! I had a few Marshalls over the years and they all got very very close to Randy's live tone, especially After Hours. As long as you have that Marshall circuit you are going to be be within 90% of his or anyone else's Marshall sound. Hell, my main current amp is a Bogner Shiva 20th and that sounds damn close to Randy's tone, just a tad tighter, and it's also based the Marshall circuit. Although... lately I have been using the Fractal Axe FX III with the FC-12 board. I never thought I would go digital but its really all I have been using for the last few months since getting it. It's nice not messing around with cables or pedals anymore. I have one XLR cable going to the pedal board which is power and comms, then wireless to the guitar. It's very liberating :D...

Its also very cool to line out Randy's isolated tracks into the Axe Fx and then save them as presets. Then when you play you sound exactly like his album tone (each isolated preset type for the songs)

Haven't said it yet, but props to you for actually building Randy's board. I have always wanted to do that but I never got around to it. His board was huge but I always liked the design.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

equinox wrote:Yeah, I don't know about the OD1. I see the input is pluged in, so hooked up somehow whether activated or not. Maybe he needed something for the gig and the Distortion+ was not working or maybe later favored it over the Distortion+?!? These are the first pictures I've seen of this. Looks like his tech (Pete Mertens) is kneeling behind him on the right in the one photo! :) In the other I noted again...the slant cabs actually on TOP of the straight cabs! Very cool.

Remember, the 3 pedals and EQ were hardwired in the pedalboard, soo if say he Distortion+ was not working, it could not be just swapped in. It does have an input, soo still could route it...Guitar => Volume => Wah => OD1, then into the board. Better than OD before the pedals and still hit the from.

I'll make sure all pedals are similar and True-Bypass, soo one isn't working...switch it off and you could do something like this. soo, there are benefits of not hard-wiring in the pedals and leaving them external...smart!

I'm going to pull the original pedals out of their enclosures and mount them on the bottom piece of the pedalboard. I purchased locking pigtails, so I can hook them to the board and also to the pots and then connect them all and put the top on and rescrew it...that's the plan.

I'm going to use 3PDT switches and one set of pins run on a power distributed B+ line with serial resistors and when engaged, just ground it to get the LEDS (not lamps) to light up.

We have the technology now, soo somethings like this will be modernized...3PDT switches, LEDs. I'm going to put a Fortin ZUUL in the board and monitoring the input to make absolutely quiet when not playing.

With modern technology, I'm also temped to just add a delay also...but we'll see. Is this going to be a modernized version or keep true to the original??
There was a big discussion about the SD1 back on RR TK years ago. It was funny because for around 20 years after tribute was release everyone said Randy's tone on that album was one of the best ever, many non randy fan guitar players would likely agree. Over the years the Distortion plus was given huge praise as contributor to that overall sound but it was later found that Randy;s board crapped out and he had to use the SD1 that night (and maybe more I can't remember). So the joke was on everyone.

For live shows though he would just use it as a clean boost (distortion close to all the way down, volume close to all the way up) and leave it on all the time. Easiest way to explain it is that it just livens up the guitar tone. Some people will only clean boost for solos, others will have 2 or 3 overdrive type pedals and use them in variety of ways. At that volume you will be hard pressed to tell a difference between an SD1 or MXR D+ when both are used as a clean boost. Your not adding the "flavor" of the each distortion type, just the clean part of the circuit mainly.

For the studio tones you can clearly hear the Distortion + tone on these songs below. He likely had the distortion cranked very high on the pedal as that is the only area it starts to sound like this. I think it really starts kicking in around 2-3 o'clock, anything lower and its barely an overdrive. Id have to dig mine out to check again,.

I Don't Know
Crazy Train (opening riff and chorus specifically)
Steal Away
No Bone Movies
You Cant Kill Rock n Roll
Diary of a Madman

On everything else he seemed to have the MXR turned dialed down quite a bit and using a boosted Marshall tone so it seems. (Mr.Crowley & Suicide Solution good examples of that)
equinox

Post by equinox »

Friend sent me these photos. A few things to note....

1. The settings on the stand-alone Distortion+ and the one inside the pedalboard are identical! Soo the correct settings on the VINTAGE pedal are distortion just past 3 o'clock! There are 2 ways to run this pedal, just like an amp...distortion up and then volume, or volume up and then distortion and I heard 2 both opinions. I would say this puts this to bed and it's Distortion up, then volume to the rest of the rig. On my '79, this is when the "sizzle" kicks in and the love comes out. You have to watch it between this and "10" as it gets unstable and out of control, so you have to watch it and put it in that area. You can see the stand-alone next to the Marshall and Fender Harvard in the one photo.

2. These additional pedals are fairly hi res for the time, so I can triangulate positions of things including knob placement and where the 1/2" holes for the 3PDT switches need to be as well as lamps/LEDs.

3. Again, on the one where he's stepping on the volume...I can see 6 jacks and on the side of the volume. 1 stand alone as Wolf calls out as the Input, and two pairs for loop. The lip above the flight case is only like 1"-1.5" soo, the jacks are running horizontally, and doubt stacked any vertically. As seen in the previous, the IEC 120V input is on the Wah side. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the EQ. It has a trapdoor style that flips open, hinged in the back and when closed forward, two screws to fasten it! 1. Not sure How I'm going to do this quote yet, but 2. makes sense to make this this way to I. keep the slides recessed and locked-out to keep from getting moved and 2. keep dust and dirt out of the sliders Any suggestion would be appreciated.

4. What's up with that tape-unit in the photo with his foot on the volume?? That looks like a unit my brother-in-law had in the late 80's and kicks him self is the ass for selling it. It was like a looper and was VERY cool.

5. Likewise, what's up with the Fender Harvard?? Randy had one of those he used??
Attachments
07.png
07.jpg
06.jpg
05.png
04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
equinox

Post by equinox »

Can someone get a hold of Kathy, Wolf, or Pete and see about getting information and/or photos of the back of the pedalboard (with the jacks) and also a gut shot??
Last edited by equinox on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

1. Makes sense. Randy told me to set my dist+ (both knobs) at 10:00.
4. Randy used his Echoplex more extensively with Quiet Riot, I think.
5. Randy kept his Fender Harvard at home. This is the amp he auditioned for Ozzy with
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

equinox wrote:Can someone get a hold of Kathy, Wolf, or Pete and see about getting information and/or photos of the back of the pedalboard (with the jacks) and also a gut shot??
Pete Mertons died a few years ago..so that request will never happen. RIP
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote:There was a big discussion about the SD1 back on RR TK years ago. It was funny because for around 20 years after tribute was release everyone said Randy's tone on that album was one of the best ever, many non randy fan guitar players would likely agree. Over the years the Distortion plus was given huge praise as contributor to that overall sound but it was later found that Randy;s board crapped out and he had to use the SD1 that night (and maybe more I can't remember).)
The problems with his pedal board came later when he had to play his hometown Long Island show. The night before he asked Kevin Dubrow to fix his pedalboard, since no one could! :P As far as I know he had no problems with his pedalboard on may 11th 1981 when they recorded Tribute.

BUT something is clicking now now you're talking about the guitar tone on the Tribute album, the picture I posted a few posts up, where he is probably (to me) using the Boss OD1, is from the Cleveland (Tribute) show. In Rudy's book he said when they recorded the Cleveland show the stage volume had to be low because of the recording.

Here comes my speculation:
If he couldn't turn up his Marshall's where he wanted he would have less gain from his Marshalls. To compensate he maybe plugged in the Boss OD1 first, from there into the board, the MXR dist+ and the EQ. So it could be very well that the OD1 was pushing the dist+ there to get more gain from a less cranked Marshall.
We'll never know for sure, but this is maybe what happened there. :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Bernie Torme said that the board was turning pedals on / off like it was being operated by somone with a remote control. I've got the article in a mag some where it's a good read.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i remember that article. if it was me i would have ran off the stage!