Tommy Aldridge interview very interesting

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

2night2night

Tommy Aldridge interview very interesting

Post by 2night2night »

Check out this interview with Tommy Aldridge talking about his career . He says some things I've never heard discussed before especially about the first 2 Blizzard of Oz records.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9fngWJyjQ
Sky
Madman

Re: Tommy Aldridge interview very interesting

Post by Sky »

2night2night wrote:Check out this interview with Tommy Aldridge talking about his career . He says some things I've never heard discussed before especially about the first 2 Blizzard of Oz records.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9fngWJyjQ
Fuck he talks fast! But his story about those albums kinda falls apart when you take into account the fact that BOO had been released in the UK months before the writing sessions for DOAM had even started.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

Being That the record company had the recordings before they were released, I'm thinking his story is still credible.Both albums were recorded before they toured in the U.S., which was when Tommy started playing with them.
Last edited by 2night2night on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

2night2night wrote:Being That the record company had the recordings before they were released, I'm thinking his story is still credible.Both albums were recorded before they toured in the U.S., which was when Tommy started palying with them.
Bob and Lee were still in the band on the day that BOO was released in the US (March 27th '81), they'd finished recording DOAM at Ridge Farm that same week and they were out of the band within days. To me, Tommy's story about Arden playing him outtakes of BOO and DOAM and asking if he'd re-record both albums doesn't make sense, the timeline doesn't fit. This would have to have happened in March '81 when DOAM was being recorded, BOO had already been in the charts in the UK the previous year, by March it was packaged with 2 different songs and artwork for the US market, that's expensive and it doesn't happen overnight. Apart from anything else, it wouldn't make economic sense for Jet to re-record BOO when Tommy joined the band in April '81.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

I really don't see how the timeline doesn't fit. Just because BOO had been released doesn't mean that Tommy Aldridge had heard it yet. He never said it was before BOO was released.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

2night2night wrote:I really don't see how the timeline doesn't fit. Just because BOO had been released doesn't mean that Tommy Aldridge had heard it yet. He never said it was before BOO was released.
Listen to the interview again. Just over 11 minutes in Tommy says that Don Arden was trying to get drums and bass replaced on those 2 albums 'before they were officially released'. Tommy is wrongly assuming that they were recorded back to back. Why would Arden spend money to replace drums on BOO when it was already climbing up the charts in the US by the time that Tommy joined the band?
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

I watched the interview again and Tommy said he listened to outtakes from the 2 albums, not the offical songs. I'm gonna choose to believe him, since He has no reason to make it up.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

2night2night wrote:I watched the interview again and Tommy said he listened to outtakes from the 2 albums, not the offical songs. I'm gonna choose to believe him, since He has no reason to make it up.
And obviously I believe that time has clouded Tommy's memory. It's common knowledge that Don Arden asked Tommy to replace drums on DOAM, that album had been recorded just before Tommy joined the band but it hadn't been mixed. It doesn't make sense that Don Arden would play Tommy outtakes from BOO 6 months after the album was first released, and it doesn't make sense that Arden would spend the huge amount of money it would cost to replace the rhythm section on BOO just after the album had been released in the US and was selling well.

I don't believe in Santa either but Happy Christmas to you all.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well this just goes to show you that the seed had been well planted before the O's actually did remove Bob and Lee's original takes on those records. Yeah they wanted too erase them from those albums hence no mention of them on Diary and they must of had ideas to do the same with Blizzard. It was only when Bob came back to the band to lick his wounds and work with Ozzy on Bark. He never learn't his lesson then, you don't work with cunts plain and simple. He only went back through desperation and knew he'd be on a wage at least.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well this just goes to show you that the seed had been well planted before the O's actually did remove Bob and Lee's original takes on those records. Yeah they wanted too erase them from those albums hence no mention of them on Diary and they must of had ideas to do the same with Blizzard. It was only when Bob came back to the band to lick his wounds and work with Ozzy on Bark. He never learn't his lesson then, you don't work with cunts plain and simple. He only went back through desperation and knew he'd be on a wage at least.
There's no shortage of cunts in this world. A lot of us would be permanently unemployed if we turned down work because the management is run by a cunt.
1. Bob and Lee are both mentioned for their songwriting on DOAM and they'll always have to be credited for their songwriting on those albums irrespective of how many times they are re-recorded.
2. Bob didn't go back to work with Ozzy 'in desperation' or 'licking his wounds'. He was happy working and recording with Uriah Heep and he was earning a wage. Both Ozzy and Sharon kept in touch with Bob and asked him to go back to work on a 3rd album several times when Randy was alive. They made Bob an offer that he didn't want to refuse, plus they both convinced him that they'd help him to get the performance royalties that he'd never been paid by her father. After all, Sharon was just working for Don when Lee and Bob were fired. When Bob returned for BATM, Sharon was in charge of Ozzy in every conceivable way, and she still is.

People choose to believe what they want to believe, even when the information is out there from plenty of sources to prove that their conclusions are misguided or dumb.
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

So people are dumb when they don't agree with you?All I know is the story that the Drums and bass WERE replaced. If that great idea was thought of in 1980 then why can't I believe him? I would say he probably knows more about it that you. That's why I choose to believe HIM.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I'm confused, so the original US releases do or don't have Bob and Lee?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

2night2night wrote:So people are dumb when they don't agree with you?All I know is the story that the Drums and bass WERE replaced. If that great idea was thought of in 1980 then why can't I believe him? I would say he probably knows more about it that you. That's why I choose to believe HIM.
Not at all, I was talking about the whole Blizzard saga, the people involved and the fact that fans seem choose what to believe based on who they like and which version of the story they prefer. I've explained why Tommy's story about BOO (and only BOO) doesn't make sense to me. There's no way Don Arden would pay out to re-record an album months after it had been released, particularly when that album was getting awards for sales worldwide. As I said before, DOAM had been recorded but not mixed and the artwork (the cover etc) hadn't been done when Tommy joined the band. I know that Tommy was asked to put drums on that album.
As for the terrible re-recordings, that happened 20+ years later and it was Sharon's decision because of Bob and Lee's lawsuit against her, That story is well documented by many sources and fans have different opinions on that subject too.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:I'm confused, so the original US releases do or don't have Bob and Lee?
Yes Bob and Lee played on the original BOO and DOAM albums that were released in the US and worldwide.

The credits are all correct on BOO but Don Arden didn't give Bob and Lee performance or production credits on DOAM. The artwork on that album states that Tommy played drums, Rudy played bass, and Don Airey played keyboards which are all incorrect.
Bob and Lee were credited for songwriting on DOAM, their publishing was assigned to MCPS (Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society) at the time so Don Arden had to credit them before the album could be released.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:There's no shortage of cunts in this world. A lot of us would be permanently unemployed if we turned down work because the management is run by a cunt.
Yeah but going back time and time again knowing your doing this for a gig or helping out writing an album to better that person's life style. Biting off the hand that feeds you can be regretful but would you really want to help out any cunt if you were being shat on every time. But as we say a 'lesson in life from the school of hard knocks'. Or just being two faced when asked about your employer, you only tell the people you can trust that you are employed by a bunch of cunts.
Sky wrote: Bob didn't go back to work with Ozzy 'in desperation' or 'licking his wounds'. He was happy working and recording with Uriah Heep and he was earning a wage.

Bob has always put out that he was desperate in a 'take it or leave it' world. If i leave this band will the next one be better in life. Going from selling knick-naks on a market stall when you've just been on a world tour with a major band. Hey to do that shows he would lower himself to make a crust. Plus when his wife was pregnent he had to make the correct choice for better or worse ?. For example if Dio had not of joined up with Black Sabbath would Bob of getting the shout out to be in Dio. Some times just being around those 'correct people' can make your career choice for you.
Sky wrote: People choose to believe what they want to believe, even when the information is out there from plenty of sources to prove that their conclusions are misguided or dumb.
Troy it's knowing both sides of the story, being in the know, in a situation when your not there. It's a time when Bob is not in the loop. For example when Rudy Sarzo was getting praised up for the playing on the Diary album. He took that praise and Bob was in ear shot, be it ego or not wanting to say "Oh for the record that's not me on that album". Rudy was on the cover for that album and where would you rather be ?. You can sign that album cover for a fan, but would you do that when your not pictured or mentioned on that product.
That's all Bob want's in life is that recognition, but you don't have to shout if from the roof tops when someone else is putting their point across. That's all Tommy is doing, why would he have to 'big the story up' or change the time line of when he said it. It doesn't matter, they wanted the image of the band to look better. That's why Bob and Lee got fired, Bob was only ever asked back because Ozzy couldn't write lyrics or bang out a decent tune without being guided. When he was on stage with Ozzy he was there because he was replacing someone at the last minute when gigs had been booked etc. You just have to look at the revolving door of musicians in the Ozzy line up to see it's an image thing on a visual performance and if you can actually play that instrument well ...Well that's a bonus. As far as Tommy replacing the drums on those early albums, they may of thought Tommy would give the album a lift for the groove of the album. Sharon always pushed for him to be in the band, if not for his looks ?? his drumming is world class, as is Lee's. But like Carmine Appice do you want the focus being on Ozzy on stage or your world class drummer..Tonight on Stage Ozzy with TOMMY ALDRIDGE on drums. He was another guy who was on the rebound with Ozzy a couple of times.