Randy roads DigiTech second prototype

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Nick
Cool Member

Randy roads DigiTech second prototype

Post by Nick »

I know everybody here knows the story around the digitech protype pedal but here’s more on the pedal from the guy who owns both prototypes

https://youtu.be/XmbxuP5mbPw
2night2night

Re: Randy roads DigiTech second prototype

Post by 2night2night »

Cool, I thought it might have been like a distortion/ volume or distortion/wah combo by the way it looked. But still,both of the pedals sounds are definately usable.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

wow never heard of that pedal. It actually sounds pretty damn closing to Tribute for soloing. But when playing riffs it sounds like crap.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Shockwave wrote:wow never heard of that pedal. It actually sounds pretty damn closing to Tribute for soloing. But when playing riffs it sounds like crap.

Aperently in 2005/2006 the Rhoads estate was contacted about creating a randy Rhoads style digitech pedal that could emulate Randy’s tone. The baseline for his tone was the tribute Album tone so they sent this prototype pedal to this guy for testing he gave them feedback and they sent him a second updated pedal and something must have fell through between the roads estate and digitech because it never went into full production. As far as information goes these 2 prototype pedals this guy own are the only existing ones.

I honestly would love to know why they never went into full production, I think with a good EQ behind it, it could sound pretty decent
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Really cool, I had never heard of this. On the leads the tone is pretty spot on. Wish that would have been produced.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

the problem is max norman totally ruined randys tone with way too much delay and reverb.listen to the original show tribute was lifted from before max ruined randys tone
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Tito wrote:the problem is max norman totally ruined randys tone with way too much delay and reverb.listen to the original show tribute was lifted from before max ruined randys tone

I cant find the untoched version on youtube it got removed some time ago and i have been trying to get the bootleg from here but the file is no longer on the hosting site, ipreffered the bootleg vs the tribute.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Nick wrote:
Tito wrote:the problem is max norman totally ruined randys tone with way too much delay and reverb.listen to the original show tribute was lifted from before max ruined randys tone

I cant find the untoched version on youtube it got removed some time ago and i have been trying to get the bootleg from here but the file is no longer on the hosting site, ipreffered the bootleg vs the tribute.

The Cleveland part is here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=694

The Montreal part is here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=686
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

Speaking of guitar tones, that tone that Randy had on the Albuquerque clips are fuckin' killer.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah tito your sharp today lad ;-) If only you could find that tone to ruin... still fanfkntastic
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Randy’s tone on both albums was really nothing like his live tone. Crazy Train by far is the most nasal out of all the tracks with Ozzy. All of the other songs sound less nasally for the most part. But, no matter how much the Crazy Train tone “sucks”, its fits the song perfect. As does the rest of the songs.

I mean really…have you guys heard all the other studio versions of Crazy Train written in honor of him? Or even the live versions that have been in tribute to him or the albums. The songs sounds like absolute garbage.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've always loved the studio tone on Suicide Solution... that song played LOUD is just awesome.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Although impossible without the same complete rig, a pedal based on the Montreal/Cleveland sound would be interesting!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.