Ozzy and Randy when they created The band!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Ozzy and Randy when they created The band!

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:And then there's this, Melody Maker Oct 1980 #6 in the album charts...
Interesting posts Sky. Didn't realize there was actual material with the band name out there.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

stress2stress2 wrote:uuumm......OK, Oz.
Sounds about right... Bob has said Ozzy came up with that one line. In this interview Ozzy doesn't claim to have written all of the lyrics, so, to him, that is what the song is about - Bon Scott. What inspired Bob for the rest of the lyrics has no relevance to this interview, does it?

Just my take on things...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
stress2stress2 wrote:uuumm......OK, Oz.
Sounds about right... Bob has said Ozzy came up with that one line. In this interview Ozzy doesn't claim to have written all of the lyrics, so, to him, that is what the song is about - Bon Scott. What inspired Bob for the rest of the lyrics has no relevance to this interview, does it?

Just my take on things...
Yeah telling your main man your an alcoholic walking the thin line to ruin...that's a safe guard measure to keep you in the band...Well for a short time anyway.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:And then there's this, Melody Maker Oct 1980 #6 in the album charts...
The Blizzard of Ozz 'band' name was used for years before and after...i've got ticket stubs from the 1980's this 1983 ticket stub for this November show also has BOO in large print with Ozzie's name spelt wrong...
Where are we going with this tag...It's stamped in history we don't have to be reminded ..If you lived in the 80's you would of seen this regular. OK some of the tour posters had miss spelt band members name's on more then one. Even Ozzie's name being spelt wrong. What's the issue here...or are we just being reminded it wasn't just Ozzy's band...well it would of fell on it's arse big time if he was NOT in the band period.
Attachments
101_0089.jpg
Ozzy Raven Budgie 1980 mayfair.jpg
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
The Blizzard of Ozz 'band' name was used for years before and after...i've got ticket stubs from 1984 and the 1986 gig above the ticket stub for that show also had BOO in larger print then Ozzy's name... Where are we going with this tag...It's stamped in history we don't have to be reminded ..If you lived in the 80's you would of seen this regular. OK some of the tour posters had miss spelt band members name's on more then one. Even Ozzie's name being spelt wrong. What's the issue here...or are we just being reminded it wasn't just Ozzy's band...well it would of fell on it's arse big time if he was NOT in the band period.
Who knows what would've happened? None of us can say for sure.
I posted the CD and clipping showing the band name in response to Frank's post where he mentioned that Randy told him that it was a band and not Ozzy's solo project. There are quite a few people on here who, unlike me and you, weren't around in the 80s, at least one of 'em has mentioned on this thread that he hadn't seen the band name used on material before.
BTW I can only see your 1980 ticket stub with the Blizzard of Ozz in larger print that Ozzy's name. Certainly when the band went to the US in 1982 it was very much a backing band which isn't what Randy signed up for. The attached passes that band members used for the Speak of the Devil tour show exactly what the situation was by that time.
Attachments
IMG_2066.JPG
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'll have to dig them out Troy i've got that many albums and boxes of Rock HM music memorabilia. I've done well i've managed to get ticket stubs from all the Ozzy 1980 UK gigs, i'm missing 2 shows one from Taunton odeon and one from the Sunderland mayfair show. The 1980 Crew passes, from memory feature the BOO logo bigger then Ozzy's name, as do the tour posters, A large percentage of them mention Blizzard of Ozz or (Ozzy's) Blizzard of Ozz . The cancelled shows from earlier announced August tour including Reading festival 1980 etc they nearly all mention the BOO on those. The BOO tag did dwindle towards the back of 1981 and by 1982 only a few posters mentioned it. It was a short tour in the UK... only 3 dates if my memory is correct, from late November early December. But i do have tickets from cancelled shows. I wouldn't go thinking that the BOO as a band name was squashed after Lee and Bob. It did carry on for a few tours some mentioned it and others went back to the Ozzy solo advertising. My point is that it was mentioned on many tour related items magazines, tour programmes, posters, tickets...It was never just the OZZY name on all the advertising. But over time it went to being the Ozzy circus as we know it now. The Blizzard album was the start of his career and he knows that it launched him into a long career. That's why those early classic albums have been reissued time and time again.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

OK i've found some ticket stubs from 1980 and all of them apart from 2 mention Blizzard of Ozz. For obvious reasons Ozzy's name is also on the ticket. If it was used bigger or smaller my point is that the BOO tag was used. Yeah mainly during the 1980 tour. The timeline did extend into 1983 and i have only one ticket from that tour showing Blizzard Of Ozz but again with Ozzy's name also on that ticket. I have 1980 tour badges, scarves with BLIZZARD OF OZZ in bigger tex then Ozzy's name and tour crew passes. All this band name not being used...remember it was Ozzy who brought the name to the table and i believe it was Ozzy's father who brought the name to Ozzy's solo project. I've even seen a photo of Ozzy with Sabbath from 1978 with a t-shirt on with those very words BLIZZARD OF OZZ. Yeah it was coined well before 1980. So why wouldn't he use the name, it may of been dropped because of the idea of the Ozzy solo band being called just the Blizzard of Ozz. Remember Ozzy had no idea how well it would take off. So with his first gig under his belt on that 1980 tour kicking off in Glasgow he then realised that his name was still a household name regardless of his connection in Sabbath. He finally realised he could be a solo artist and is still a household name to this day. 38 years later and he's still out there doing it shit or not, but not bad for a guy from Aspen Birmingham.
Attachments
Ozzy 1982 Blizzard ticket.jpg
101_0096.jpg
101_0084.jpg
101_0086.jpg
101_0083.jpg
Blizzard 1980 tour badge 2.JPG
Blizzard 1980 poster 1.jpg
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Troy did you see these tickets etc ?. Any news on those other items Bob has for sale ?.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Troy did you see these tickets etc ?. Any news on those other items Bob has for sale ?.
Just seen these, thanks for posting, great collection!
Bob wanted to use one of the Gary Moore plectrums on the front of the new album cover. That's done now so they should be up for sale soon. At the moment there's just a couple of Speak of the Devil laminates and a jacket that Ozzy gave him when he went back to do the US festival.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote: Just seen these, thanks for posting, great collection!
Bob wanted to use one of the Gary Moore plectrums on the front of the new album cover.
Cheers Troy What's the info on this new album from Gary Moore. Or will more info come nearer it's release date ?.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote: Just seen these, thanks for posting, great collection!
Bob wanted to use one of the Gary Moore plectrums on the front of the new album cover.
Cheers Troy What's the info on this new album from Gary Moore. Or will more info come nearer it's release date ?.
The album is Bob's tribute to Gary, mostly Blues/Rock with different musicians who wanted to pay their respects - about time someone did if you ask me! The album's been mastered so there should be more info soon.
2night2night

Post by 2night2night »

I knew that Gary Moore played with Thin Lizzy,but I realized how great he was when I got the cassette of We Want Moore.Incredible guitar player and singer. He should have a tribute . Good for Bob.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

When they were writing Blizzard of Ozz they stayed at Monnow Valley Studios ( Monmouth), Randy stayed in room 7 they were there 2 weeks at least. Frank's postcard is the best evidence of that, but speaking to Bob and Troy confirms it, they also stayed at Clearwell Castle a week before Ridge Farm. For Diary they again went to Monnow Valley ( Monmouth) they stayed in a hotel in the town and Lee stayed at the studio. The Ozzy living with Randy writing together story is a myth i am sure, due to all the information , dates etc that are available. Pretty sure that myth was put out there by Sharon - that Ozzy and Randy did " everything" When they recorded both albums they stayed at Ridge Farm. We also know that Randy rented a flat in London. That gives very little time for him to be living with Ozzy in Stafford starting the band and with Bob Daisley nowhere to be seen or in the picture ,doesn't fit or make sense (because it is almost certainly false) Ozzy approached Bob in a club, Bob went to Ozzy's house in Stafford, Ozzy had a guitarist and drummer that Ozzy sent home after Bob told him he thought they were good but not " world class" this all happened before Randy was even flown over as an unknown guitarist from the States.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:When they were writing Blizzard of Ozz they stayed at Monnow Valley Studios ( Monmouth), Randy stayed in room 7 they were there 2 weeks at least. Frank's postcard is the best evidence of that, but speaking to Bob and Troy confirms it, they also stayed at Clearwell Castle a week before Ridge Farm. For Diary they again went to Monnow Valley ( Monmouth) they stayed in a hotel in the town and Lee stayed at the studio. The Ozzy living with Randy writing together story is a myth i am sure, due to all the information , dates etc that are available. Pretty sure that myth was put out there by Sharon - that Ozzy and Randy did " everything" When they recorded both albums they stayed at Ridge Farm. We also know that Randy rented a flat in London. That gives very little time for him to be living with Ozzy in Stafford starting the band and with Bob Daisley nowhere to be seen or in the picture ,doesn't fit or make sense (because it is almost certainly false) Ozzy approached Bob in a club, Bob went to Ozzy's house in Stafford, Ozzy had a guitarist and drummer that Ozzy sent home after Bob told him he thought they were good but not " world class" this all happened before Randy was even flown over as an unknown guitarist from the States.
Is this just another pointless plug for your mates studio (Monnow Valley Studios ...Monmouth) or was this posted on the wrong thread ??.