What’s your favorite, and least liked Randy fills?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

What’s your favorite, and least liked Randy fills?

Post by Shockwave »

Sitting here jamming away and there are just so many great fills the Randy had on the live tracks. What are some of your favorites and least liked fills that he did?

My favorites in no particular order.. key phrase to after each fill is that they just fit and sound perfect with the song. Most of these he played here and there in different shows. I picked the ones that are clearest and sound bet IMO.

07-28-1981 - Montreal, Crazy Train - 1:08 / 2:08 / 4:05 (back to first, perfect!)
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Flying High - Harmonics @ 1:47
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Revelation - Pinch @ 1:32
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Believer - harmonic @ 1:33
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Pinch & 0:34 (just wow! )
01-15-1982 - Minneapolis - Steal Away harmonics @ 1:35
Blizzard 30th Live - Mr.Crowley - fill @ 4:03(surprised he never used this more!!)
Blizzard 30th Live - Mr.Crowley - fill @ 3:40 (love this one)

(Gotta run out, got a few more to add and will do later)

Would like to start tabbing these for you guys as well.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Re: What’s your favorite, and least liked Randy fills?

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Shockwave wrote:Sitting here jamming away and there are just so many great fills the Randy had on the live tracks. What are some of your favorites and least liked fills that he did?

My favorites in no particular order.. key phrase to after each fill is that they just fit and sound perfect with the song. Most of these he played here and there in different shows. I picked the ones that are clearest and sound bet IMO.

07-28-1981 - Montreal, Crazy Train - 1:08 / 2:08 / 4:05 (back to first, perfect!)
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Flying High - Harmonics @ 1:47
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Revelation - Pinch @ 1:32
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Believer - harmonic @ 1:33
07-28-1981 - Montreal, Pinch & 0:34 (just wow! )
01-15-1982 - Minneapolis - Steal Away harmonics @ 1:35
Blizzard 30th Live - Mr.Crowley - fill @ 4:03(surprised he never used this more!!)
Blizzard 30th Live - Mr.Crowley - fill @ 3:40 (love this one)

(Gotta run out, got a few more to add and will do later)

Would like to start tabbing these for you guys as well.
Those are some awesome fills, my two favorite Randy shows! Would love to see tabs!

Some of my other faves are:

Montreal FHA different chords that I haven't heard ever repeated :23 (after "gotta get away from here"), 1:20 ( after "I can even touch the sky"), 3:02 (after first "here we go now"). Those chords are so cool. Those are my times from my KBFH tape. The times match up with Ozzy Live CD except the last is around 2:58.

I would love to see those tabbed if you're able to.

Also love the '82 fills he did in COTG (especially on the A and B chords) and Paranoid including 1-15-82 and some other '82 shows.

Also COTG Montreal @ 1:45 o(ver the A chord).
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Love his children of the grave solo from tribute album. Stunning.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

I'm currently working on tabbing my favorite of his live fills and solos. I just finished tabbing the Believer solo from Montreal.

Also working on creating some better backing tracks than what we currently have available.
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lets start posting our tributes to randy on the members music section..that should be a good topic for criticism etc..forgive my spelling im drinking and i dont use the spell trouble maker
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

TheMrAxeman wrote:I'm currently working on tabbing my favorite of his live fills and solos. I just finished tabbing the Believer solo from Montreal.

Also working on creating some better backing tracks than what we currently have available.
I'd love to see a full tab and backing track to the band jam.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Damn I I haven’t listened to the 2/23/1982 show in awhile. Randy was changing the intro part of the second solo of Mr.Crowley a bit with adding some sweep picking it sounds like. This is the only show I am aware of that he did this in Mr.Crowely that we have.

Pretty cool sounding because it sounds like it slows down but it doesn’t at all. He is just hitting the 15th/G string on each of the four beats, instead of twice (triplets/sextuplet). Kind of sounds somewhat slower because he takes that extra high note out. Really cool sounding, not a fill per say.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

skezza wrote:
TheMrAxeman wrote:I'm currently working on tabbing my favorite of his live fills and solos. I just finished tabbing the Believer solo from Montreal.

I'd love to see a full tab and backing track to the band jam.
Working on it! :wink:

Also just posted a preview of Believer in the Tabs Section.
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com