The Grail is Dead...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Re: The Grail is Dead...

Post by Stiltzkin »

and question number 2 would be: how many are willing to put their Money where their mouths are?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Money shouldn't be an issue with Bob if he wins his case with Ozzy. He's looking at $2 milion which is all down to an arbitrator's decision.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

To be fair, if we crowd funded this, it would be incredible.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

i'd be willing to give a few hundred to a gofundme. personally, i think bob is beating a dead horse. he wants to cash out on this hen it's not going to happen. he needs to come to reality and either say "im gonna stay bitter forever" or "im gonna do the right thing and give this to the fans"
I went ahead and rode the white horse
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:personally, i think bob is beating a dead horse. he wants to cash out on this hen it's not going to happen. he needs to come to reality and either say "im gonna stay bitter forever" or "im gonna do the right thing and give this to the fans"
+1
I said this already a couple years ago. Sure one doesn't have to give away everything for free, but in this case it's pretty much like stay bitter forever and let nobody else enjoy OR choose to share and make other people happy which eventually make yourself happier too. And I would say the same to those Phoenix brothers who probably will take their footage to their graves if nothing else.....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
LongRhoadsAhead wrote:personally, i think bob is beating a dead horse. he wants to cash out on this hen it's not going to happen. he needs to come to reality and either say "im gonna stay bitter forever" or "im gonna do the right thing and give this to the fans"
+1
I said this already a couple years ago. Sure one doesn't have to give away everything for free, but in this case it's pretty much like stay bitter forever and let nobody else enjoy OR choose to share and make other people happy which eventually make yourself happier too. And I would say the same to those Phoenix brothers who probably will take their footage to their graves if nothing else.....
yeah dutch there seems to be a spirit of greed that surrounds any and everything Randy Rhoads. I can't understand why people would choose to behave in the manner they do regarding his legacy and material, but they do and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. Makes me sad to know how much Randy would hate the way people have managed his legacy.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

skezza wrote:To be fair, if we crowd funded this, it would be incredible.
trouble is crowd funding won't stop Sharon from blocking it with legal action. Even if ozzy's voice is cut out the osbournes still have a link to the Rhoads estate so it ain't gonna happen without them on board
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
+1
This. I mean, those tapes are his to do with as he chooses, and truly, he owes fans nothing, but the fact that those tapes are sitting around collecting dust and deteriorating is not exactly productive for anyone, is it?

As a fan, I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable price, hell, even a premium or higher price for stuff like this, but I've resigned myself to the fact this stuff, and probably the Phoenix brothers footage, will never see the light of day publicly, and I'm fine with that.

The part that stings fans is that we KNOW this stuff exists, are willing to pay for it, and there's no opportunity to access these things. I'm sure there are a ton of legalities around this, but it all boils down to money for everyone involved, period. Motivated parties would find a way to get this out, plain and simple. The blame here is shared by both sides, IMO, and due to the animosity of the situation, it will never, ever be settled equitably.

Sad, but true, I fear. What can you do but step back and say, "meh"?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Bob never was and never will be involved in the business of marketing his grail tapes, any more than he was involved in the marketing of the deluxe edition of 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll' which include his tapes from the Rainbow rehearsals in 1977. He made it clear that he'd only allow the grail to be released if the tapes were put together as a quality package which he approved, and if each member of the band or their estate received a royalty from sales, nothing more. Those conditions were accepted by the investor who was looking at marketing it, but that deal ended as a direct result of the current trend of sharing, pirating and generally ripping off the musicians that people say they're fans of. Who's going to invest money in any product that's all over the Internet within a day? Anyone who thinks that the Grail would make huge sums of money is delusional, its appeal is very, very limited.
Greedy and bitter? I've seen more of those qualities displayed by a few people on this site than I ever have in the 40+ years of knowing Bob.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Sky wrote:Bob never was and never will be involved in the business of marketing his grail tapes, any more than he was involved in the marketing of the deluxe edition of 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll' which include his tapes from the Rainbow rehearsals in 1977. He made it clear that he'd only allow the grail to be released if the tapes were put together as a quality package which he approved, and if each member of the band or their estate received a royalty from sales, nothing more. Those conditions were accepted by the investor who was looking at marketing it, but that deal ended as a direct result of the current trend of sharing, pirating and generally ripping off the musicians that people say they're fans of. Who's going to invest money in any product that's all over the Internet within a day? Anyone who thinks that the Grail would make huge sums of money is delusional, its appeal is very, very limited.
Greedy and bitter? I've seen more of those qualities displayed by a few people on this site than I ever have in the 40+ years of knowing Bob.
Such a shame for everyone then. I believe the best way was to do some sort of presale & manufacture once a certain $ amount is met. That's the only fair way for it to happen now. As you say, once it's out then its all over the internet for the entitled new generation that want everything for free.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote: Those conditions were accepted by the investor who was looking at marketing it, but that deal ended as a direct result of the current trend of sharing, pirating and generally ripping off the musicians that people say they're fans of. Who's going to invest money in any product that's all over the Internet within a day? Anyone who thinks that the Grail would make huge sums of money is delusional, its appeal is very, very limited.
Surely Bob would of known this before he even ventured into the idea of releasing the 'Grail tapes'. You get the fans who just want to hear the tapes for what they are. Then you get the fans who want to support that artist and buy that product. Then you get the person who just downloads everything and pays for nothing. That's the way it is, nothing is gonna change over night. I think Bob has just getting a bitter taste on this whole project and decided to shelve it. Which is a shame as so many fans had their hopes up that this would eventually be released.

Troy can you mention if the arbitrators have come to a decision on the issues with Bob and the O's releasing what they owe him ?.
notkrap

Post by notkrap »

Is Steve Balmer or Elon Musk a Rhoadie? I wish a billionaire would just say "Ozzy, I'll put up a couple million to release the Grail, The Capitol Theatre B&W Show, and record Blizzard III with Ozzy, Bob Daisley, Guthrie Govan, Mike Portnoy, & Derek Sherininan"
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Surely Bob would of known this before he even ventured into the idea of releasing the 'Grail tapes'. You get the fans who just want to hear the tapes for what they are. Then you get the fans who want to support that artist and buy that product. Then you get the person who just downloads everything and pays for nothing. That's the way it is, nothing is gonna change over night. I think Bob has just getting a bitter taste on this whole project and decided to shelve it. Which is a shame as so many fans had their hopes up that this would eventually be released.

Troy can you mention if the arbitrators have come to a decision on the issues with Bob and the O's releasing what they owe him ?.
I don't think any of us were aware how much sharing goes on at the beginning, it seems to have got much worse over past couple of years, whole albums are on YouTube and other sites as soon as they're released these days.
Yeah it's a shame about the grail, we all thought that the right bloke was going to get it released but it's a niche market and no one wants to lose money. Bob remains open about the project but he's busy with his music and he doesn't have time to give the grail much thought.

The arbitration thing is still pending. From my experience, everything legal seems to take ages and cost a packet.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

To be honest the Randy Rhoads fan base will and is probably shrinking so there wont be money to made for any parties.

All of this "alleged" items such as rumours of footage etc should have been released years ago if anyone wanted to make any money off it. That was the time when Randy was still a big name in the guitar world and his memory was still so fresh.

Give it another ten years or so and Randy will just start to disappear into the ether as there are so many guitarists around that are influencing the new generation. How many guitarists has Ozzy had since Randy? New Ozzy fans will only be interested in those.

This is a real shame. A real Shame. I have been a fan for over 30 years, followed these forums religiously for new hope of footage, recordings etc but you know what?
Now I visit very rarely because it is just the same old hype and disappointment. If anything to do with Randy is discovered - forget it. you will never see it.

Totally see where Bob is coming from - he has more important things to concentrate on, projects etc that will earn him his living and pay his bills.
Releasing a few recordings for a small number of die hard fans isn't going to pay his pills and will it even cover the costs of producing the thing?!

Everyone thought that once Delores had passed (RIP) things would change . They wont. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong - I am hugely disappointed yet again that we wont see the grail, but understand why.

Randy's Fanbase and his influence to today's guitarists was years ago. It will never be the same. That time has passed and many opportunities missed.

For me I shall be grateful for what we have and what Randy did back then - yes he was very influential and forward thinking.
That was in the early 1980's.
Things move on and forward.
The Randy Rhoads footage and recordings ship sailed years ago and how things are going it will soon be sunk and resting on the seabed.

Just a memory in a few peoples minds.

Richard
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

meadsie wrote:To be honest the Randy Rhoads fan base will and is probably shrinking so there wont be money to made for any parties.

All of this "alleged" items such as rumours of footage etc should have been released years ago if anyone wanted to make any money off it. That was the time when Randy was still a big name in the guitar world and his memory was still so fresh.

Give it another ten years or so and Randy will just start to disappear into the ether as there are so many guitarists around that are influencing the new generation. How many guitarists has Ozzy had since Randy? New Ozzy fans will only be interested in those.

This is a real shame. A real Shame. I have been a fan for over 30 years, followed these forums religiously for new hope of footage, recordings etc but you know what?
Now I visit very rarely because it is just the same old hype and disappointment. If anything to do with Randy is discovered - forget it. you will never see it.

Totally see where Bob is coming from - he has more important things to concentrate on, projects etc that will earn him his living and pay his bills.
Releasing a few recordings for a small number of die hard fans isn't going to pay his pills and will it even cover the costs of producing the thing?!

Everyone thought that once Delores had passed (RIP) things would change . They wont. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong - I am hugely disappointed yet again that we wont see the grail, but understand why.

Randy's Fanbase and his influence to today's guitarists was years ago. It will never be the same. That time has passed and many opportunities missed.

For me I shall be grateful for what we have and what Randy did back then - yes he was very influential and forward thinking.
That was in the early 1980's.
Things move on and forward.
The Randy Rhoads footage and recordings ship sailed years ago and how things are going it will soon be sunk and resting on the seabed.

Just a memory in a few peoples minds.

Richard
Sadly, I think you're right on pretty much all counts here.