Don Airey responded to my inquiry!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose2

Re: Don Airey responded to my inquiry!

Post by romeorose2 »

I just would ask Don to post the last photos he took of Randy, especially the ones where Randy posed by the plane or was sitting on the wing.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

romeorose2 wrote:I just would ask Don to post the last photos he took of Randy, especially the ones where Randy posed by the plane or was sitting on the wing.
Hey man, I think there's little chance of Don posting those.... Just an observation though.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Thanks guys. Will try to send these off to him by Tuesday or Wednesday. I may rephrase a few of the questions so hopefully your all ok with that.

Just to confirm something on my end. I always thought Don only came in during the blizzard recordings towards the end after the band wrapped up everything already? I had been under the impression that he never actually got to play with the band until the Diary tour? Any input would be great.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

xk319 wrote:Was the '82 Diary Tour "band jam" ever intended to possibly become a full song and how did that piece come about?
I always wondered that too. That's an amazing piece of work. I love to play it on piano. It took a long time to figure it out note for note. Such a shame it was never professionally released other than Brad Gillis playing it.

Here's a question:

I read in an nterview or book that Randy and Don were working on writing an amazing composition during the Diary tour that's never been heard (not the band jam). Is this true? Does Don still have the music? Will he ever record and release it?

Thank you!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

This is sorta of one my questions to Don as well about constructing music on the road. Did they ever actually just jam? I doubt it actually as they seemingly toured non stop even during the blizzard tours without Don. During their off time everyone just flew home I believe, then met up a couple days before the dates resumed.

Randy must have had a guitar on the tour bus to practice here and there while traveling. He probably had quite a few ideas for classical parts or acoustic parts in the bag for the next album. He couldn't have just played the same material non-stop for almost 2 years without trying something different.

As far as the band jam. I have always envisioned that as a live sporting event tune that would be played all the time like crazy train. It just has that get you pumped up vibe. I could picture the guitar tappin part be put back in the mix though compared to the keys. For a studio recording I think the keys playing the same tapping part as Randy would sound better.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hey Matt What is the latest on Don answering these questions ?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Hey Matt What is the latest on Don answering these questions ?

Nothing yet man and it's all my fault...have not even sent the questions out to him yet. Have been picking away at rephrasing them and so forth. This physics class I am talking is kicking my ass, hardest class I have eve taken I must say. That and working 6 days a week for the last 3 months ain't helping! Wish I would have done the bachelors 20 years ago lol.

I'll get them out this weekend to him no matter what it takes.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Shockwave wrote: This physics class I am talking is kicking my ass, hardest class I have eve taken I must say. That and working 6 days a week for the last 3 months ain't helping! Wish I would have done the bachelors 20 years ago lol.
I did that slog as an adult student to get my bachelor's. There can be some extremely trying times, you can do it with some good time management and a lot of hard work.

I believe you can do it, you will get that degree.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

shawn wrote:
Shockwave wrote: This physics class I am talking is kicking my ass, hardest class I have eve taken I must say. That and working 6 days a week for the last 3 months ain't helping! Wish I would have done the bachelors 20 years ago lol.
I did that slog as an adult student to get my bachelor's. There can be some extremely trying times, you can do it with some good time management and a lot of hard work.

I believe you can do it, you will get that degree.
Ya baby!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Should hear back from Don within a few weeks I imagine. The last time he took about 3 weeks to respond. I remember in my initial email to him I was looking up as to what he was doing these days . He was traveling around playing shows with someone I can't remember right now. He was at the Rhoads thing a few weeks ago I remember seeing some pics of him and Lathy I think?
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Any update on this? Really excited to see the final product.
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

orion_damage wrote:Any update on this? Really excited to see the final product.
Did you miss the post above yours? He gave a update and also like you I cant wait to read this interview!!
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

chilinvilin wrote:
Did you miss the post above yours? He gave a update and also like you I cant wait to read this interview!!
Shockwave said to expect about 3 weeks on the 14th of February, and it's been 4 weeks since that post. Yes, Don's busy and we can all understand that for sure, but I don't see what was wrong with orion_damage just asking for an update.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Been waiting for someone to step up and start asking :D

Nothing yet, honestly though I sent the questions to him a week after I said I did here. Just really busy with school/work and stuff so I didn't want to have to explain again why I had to post pone sending them for another week. Told him to take his time though and no rush. I have no idea how good he is on the qwerty keys, he may hate typing and provide short answers :) I have a few more questions I wanted ask but forgot somehow I the scramble, hopefully we can have an ongoing dialogue maybe with him once an awhile after this as I included the link to the site here for him to check out.

It would be nice to start something like "rr.tk vs" had and post any interviews like this in a separate sub forum and just lock it down. Maybe copy over the other interviews with rr.tk's permission as well.

I'll share one question though that I thought of while asking another about something on the Diary tour. I asked him about his view up in his tower and how great it must have been. Since he was a photographer of sorts I asked if he ever took pictures while up there. Those would be amazing to see!

Anyway, hopefully he is plugging away on it. I'll keep you guys updated though definitely even if it's just "nothing yet" once a week or so.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

chilinvilin wrote:
Count your weeks pal, seems you're the one who can't read.