Randy's gear future speculation

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Nick
Cool Member

Randy's gear future speculation

Post by Nick »

From all members what personaly do you think Randy would use today based on the taste of Randy himself, if Randy were still around today what amps/company's would he be using.

You can post any gear you think Randy would use today from any company, that includes Guitars,Amps,Effects/pedals, picks and endorsements.
fortress
Madman

Re: Randy's gear future speculation

Post by fortress »

i hope he would still use old marshall but seeing other guitarists today, they switched brand alots and not always for a better tone
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

With Randy being a tone freak i could see him using a kemper...Those are never ending for having any amp tone you can get from the best of vintage heads to modern day heads.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I always thought Randy would go towards Bogner. They are very Marshally and what Marshall should have evolved into over the last 20 years. Quick review of my Bogner I just bought.

I have wanted a Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva for about 5 years now and finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. The amp is friggin unbelievable! It can sound 90% of that like my JMP but much tighter and fuller sounding. Plus it's a two channel amp (really 3 channel with the boost channel) The clean channel is the best I have ever had and heard. Usually you have to compromise on wether you want a great clean or dirty amp. This thing could be sold as both in separate amps.

Dirt channel can do ever genre of music easily and sound great. Boost channel can bring you into death metal with the gain up if that's your thing. Honestly I don't think I will play my 78 JMP ever again lol. It's going to be hard to just keep it and it let sit there doing nothing. I'll give it 6 months and crank it up and see how I feel then.

I think I am going to pick up a Bogner Atma as well. Great little lunchbox amp that can switch between 1/5/18 watts. Pretty cheap as well on the used market you can find them for for about $900-$1200 usually with the optional Bogner/Marshall style headshells instead of the standard metal shell they come in normally.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:With Randy being a tone freak i could see him using a kemper...Those are never ending for having any amp tone you can get from the best of vintage heads to modern day heads.

Kempers I have followed for years. If they offered something that looked like a normal head and not Star Trek I would probably have bought one to try out st some point. Very interesting and amazing technology though. But even with that they still have not taken over as one would have thought they would. If someone would have said 30 years ago you could have an amp listen to a song and replicate the guitar sounds from it. Most would have agreed that the amp would be the best thing ever and sign me up for one and take my money immediately! But it's not going that way. Maybe in the next 20 years a modeler can compete :)
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Shockwave wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:With Randy being a tone freak i could see him using a kemper...Those are never ending for having any amp tone you can get from the best of vintage heads to modern day heads.

Kempers I have followed for years. If they offered something that looked like a normal head and not Star Trek I would probably have bought one to try out st some point. Very interesting and amazing technology though. But even with that they still have not taken over as one would have thought they would. If someone would have said 30 years ago you could have an amp listen to a song and replicate the guitar sounds from it. Most would have agreed that the amp would be the best thing ever and sign me up for one and take my money immediately! But it's not going that way. Maybe in the next 20 years a modeler can compete :)
The price, and many purists out there think that just because an amp is digital, it's automatically garbage and will tell you how they can tell the difference between a Kemper and the real thing. I have an Axe FX II, and it's arguably the same thing. Purists out there hate it because it's digital and will scoff at you if you tell them you can get the same kinds of tones as their $3,000 heads.

I would say that both the Kemper and the Axe FX are 95% there, tone-wise, and (I don't know about the Kemper, since I don't use one) the Axe FX is getting better with every update. You'd probably be surprised by how many albums are recorded with Kempers and Axe FX's these days.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Cryptic Night wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

The price, and many purists out there think that just because an amp is digital, it's automatically garbage and will tell you how they can tell the difference between a Kemper and the real thing. I have an Axe FX II, and it's arguably the same thing. Purists out there hate it because it's digital and will scoff at you if you tell them you can get the same kinds of tones as their $3,000 heads.

I would say that both the Kemper and the Axe FX are 95% there, tone-wise, and (I don't know about the Kemper, since I don't use one) the Axe FX is getting better with every update. You'd probably be surprised by how many albums are recorded with Kempers and Axe FX's these days.
I am opened minded for the most part regarding all of it. For the most part though modelers will not take over the industry until you start seeing most all artist use them in concert. From there will trickle down until it's the new mainstream.

I agree the tone is about 95% on the Kemper but that last 5% is what makes tube amps so special. Just a fullness and in your face that for some reason the modelers can't geit t right yet. I think a lot of what's happening these days is people just want great tone at low volumes. That's why your seeing a influx of really low wattage amps the last few years.

I do visit a lot of other musician forums and there is a lot of love for the modelers. I have seen quite a few post though over the years though that someone loves the thing to death for weeks or months and then one day plays next to a tube amp and it's like they came down to reality. "It sounded so weak and thin" is the usual saying. But that's the thing, you wouldn't really know that until you play em side by side. At home a modeler can sound huge.

I should just pick up one up to try out for a week or two and return it if I don't like it :)

It's the future no doubt, maybe 10-20yrs away though until that movement starts happening on a mass scale.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I would agree on the above for one reason only. I have a couple of friends who are gear junkies they've bought vintage cabs old stock gear etc to create that mystery tone. Both the guys are now kemper owners and they gig regular. The kempar is light weight and ideal to be used for gigging. It can easily be taking on a plane as light hand luggage. Try doing this with your vintage 1980 marshall head at the mercy of baggage handlers. At the click of a button you can have that perfect sound or if you'd prefer EVH Brown tone click your button and your cabs will be singing lovely. Yeah they are an expensive piece of kit but if you get the chance to try one out, give it a blast.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

I think Randy would have a Fractal Axe FX 2 XL+ that's what I have and it's the best there is. Metallica tours with them now. I think for guitars he'd be using Suhr guitars as I also believe those are the best. I'm planning to buy one myself soon.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

romeorose2 wrote:I think Randy would have a Fractal Axe FX 2 XL+ that's what I have and it's the best there is. Metallica tours with them now. I think for guitars he'd be using Suhr guitars as I also believe those are the best. I'm planning to buy one myself soon.

Lol
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

Shockwave... lol? I don't get it? why because I mentioned Metallica? Metallica is irrelevant really, but most famous guitarists at this point are using Fractal to some extent whether it be for all their effects or for effects/amps. I think at this point in time Fractal has made amps obsolete, the tone from the Fractal is at the point now where no one can tell the difference between the Fractal and a miked head/cabinet in blindfold tests.

As far as Suhr, if that was what the lol was for, I can't see why other than yeah Suhr are basically strat shaped guitars and Randy always went with pointy shapes, although I'm sure suhr could make any shape for a star like Randy. But I think Randy would have outgrew the pointy shaped guitars as time went on and just went with a strat/superstrat. There's really nothing better than a Strat style guitar. I have a YJM Fender Signature guitar, and I can easily get the same tones Randy was getting from his Les Paul and Sandoval with it. It's easier to dial in a Le Paul sound on a strat than it is to dial in a strat tone on a Les Paul.

I'd like to think Randy Rhoads would have been doing stuff like what Yngwie Malmsteen has done the last 35 years, if not then I would have become HUGELY disappointed in Randy.

I mean there's all this talk about RR would have done more classical guitar/metal instead of just on songs like Crowley where it's most heavily heard. So if you are going to go that route then you'd have to be in at least the same ballpark as YJM is, or else you won't really being playing classical shred.

To this day there's not been many well known guitarists that's REALLY stuck to just classical shred. There's Yngwie Malmsteen and there was 1 or 2 CDs from Jason Becker, but other than that most guitarists have really only DABBLED in Classical. Kinda like Paul Gilbert, he's a dabbler.

II take Classical Shred very seriously, to be my guitar hero, you better play nothing but classical all the time and never stray and start writing other types of songs or other types of CDs. Be a master of classical, not a player of all but master of none. This is why I love Yngwie.

I found a frame I want to buy for six hundred dollars to put a poster/print in, and I was thinking about buying the 24x36 print of Jay Branburys and putting that in my really nice frame, however it's such a hard choice, Randy was one of my main first influences, but he only made 2 CDs, and he only had "potential" for a classical guitarist, he never actually achieved it or proved it in the way that Yngwie Malmsteen has done time and time again... So it's hard for me to decide on a RR framed print or a YJM framed print. I feel like Randy is more of a inspiration to me however YJM is more of a actual influence to me at this time, especially since YJM at least does instrumentals a lot where as RR never did one other than Dee, and with YJM its ALL about classical other than a rare blues lick, where as with Randy not ALL of his solos sounded neoclassical, just a few of them. Maybe half of them.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

Of course I will also add, that RR may have just stuck with what he knew, Le Pauls and Marshalls, I mean once you are already established and been doing something a certain way for years, there's no real reason to change. However, I think if Randy was just starting out in this day and time as a player, he' most likely laugh at Les Pauls as being a good choice for shred. And I think he'd also see how a Fractal is even better than real amps all things considered.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

romeorose2 wrote:Shockwave... lol? I don't get it? why because I mentioned Metallica? Metallica is irrelevant really, but most famous guitarists at this point are using Fractal to some extent whether it be for all their effects or for effects/amps. I think at this point in time Fractal has made amps obsolete, the tone from the Fractal is at the point now where no one can tell the difference between the Fractal and a miked head/cabinet in blindfold tests.

As far as Suhr, if that was what the lol was for, I can't see why other than yeah Suhr are basically strat shaped guitars and Randy always went with pointy shapes, although I'm sure suhr could make any shape for a star like Randy. But I think Randy would have outgrew the pointy shaped guitars as time went on and just went with a strat/superstrat. There's really nothing better than a Strat style guitar. I have a YJM Fender Signature guitar, and I can easily get the same tones Randy was getting from his Les Paul and Sandoval with it. It's easier to dial in a Le Paul sound on a strat than it is to dial in a strat tone on a Les Paul.

I'd like to think Randy Rhoads would have been doing stuff like what Yngwie Malmsteen has done the last 35 years, if not then I would have become HUGELY disappointed in Randy.

I mean there's all this talk about RR would have done more classical guitar/metal instead of just on songs like Crowley where it's most heavily heard. So if you are going to go that route then you'd have to be in at least the same ballpark as YJM is, or else you won't really being playing classical shred.

To this day there's not been many well known guitarists that's REALLY stuck to just classical shred. There's Yngwie Malmsteen and there was 1 or 2 CDs from Jason Becker, but other than that most guitarists have really only DABBLED in Classical. Kinda like Paul Gilbert, he's a dabbler.

II take Classical Shred very seriously, to be my guitar hero, you better play nothing but classical all the time and never stray and start writing other types of songs or other types of CDs. Be a master of classical, not a player of all but master of none. This is why I love Yngwie.

I found a frame I want to buy for six hundred dollars to put a poster/print in, and I was thinking about buying the 24x36 print of Jay Branburys and putting that in my really nice frame, however it's such a hard choice, Randy was one of my main first influences, but he only made 2 CDs, and he only had "potential" for a classical guitarist, he never actually achieved it or proved it in the way that Yngwie Malmsteen has done time and time again... So it's hard for me to decide on a RR framed print or a YJM framed print. I feel like Randy is more of a inspiration to me however YJM is more of a actual influence to me at this time, especially since YJM at least does instrumentals a lot where as RR never did one other than Dee, and with YJM its ALL about classical other than a rare blues lick, where as with Randy not ALL of his solos sounded neoclassical, just a few of them. Maybe half of them.

Not reading all that other than the first sentence. The "lol" was for your comment of the your fractal that you play is best there is. Then follow it up with suhr is the best as well and you have it also. Personally I wouldn't touch either brand but I don't care how much I like something I am not going to says it's the best, because it's not..it's what the player likes best. It's pretty closed minded to say something is the best when only .001% of guitar players in the world use it for example.

Also, sure Metallica uses them but even james guitar tech says it's not right. They have been tweaking them for over 3 years now and still non stop tinkering. He post over at the fractal forums about the setup the band uses. One of the main problems they were still trying to solve was lack of feedback and sustain. It just ends up being non-stop tinkering with them. Some like that and some don't.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Shockwave wrote:
romeorose2 wrote:Shockwave... lol? I don't get it? why because I mentioned Metallica? Metallica is irrelevant really, but most famous guitarists at this point are using Fractal to some extent whether it be for all their effects or for effects/amps. I think at this point in time Fractal has made amps obsolete, the tone from the Fractal is at the point now where no one can tell the difference between the Fractal and a miked head/cabinet in blindfold tests.

Not reading all that other than the first sentence. The "lol" was for your comment of the your fractal that you play is best there is. Then follow it up with suhr is the best as well and you have it also. Personally I wouldn't touch either brand but I don't care how much I like something I am not going to says it's the best, because it's not..it's what the player likes best. It's pretty closed minded to say something is the best when only .001% of guitar players in the world use it for example.

Also, sure Metallica uses them but even james guitar tech says it's not right. They have been tweaking them for over 3 years now and still non stop tinkering. He post over at the fractal forums about the setup the band uses. One of the main problems they were still trying to solve was lack of feedback and sustain. It just ends up being non-stop tinkering with them. Some like that and some don't.
While I see that Kemper and the Fractal Axe FX II as being practically the same thing just done differently, I personally have the Axe FX II, and I fucking love it. It was already great, in my opinion, but it's only getting better with constant updates from Cliff. A few months ago, he even modeled James's amp for him. While I'm sure in the studio they'll stick to using the real deal amps (They can obviously afford to), live they've been using the Axe FX lately.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I would agree on the above for one reason only. I have a couple of friends who are gear junkies they've bought vintage cabs old stock gear etc to create that mystery tone. Both the guys are now kemper owners and they gig regular. The kempar is light weight and ideal to be used for gigging. It can easily be taking on a plane as light hand luggage. Try doing this with your vintage 1980 marshall head at the mercy of baggage handlers. At the click of a button you can have that perfect sound or if you'd prefer EVH Brown tone click your button and your cabs will be singing lovely. Yeah they are an expensive piece of kit but if you get the chance to try one out, give it a blast.

Its not just the same, really. When you have the real thing and the digital side by side.. just no