After Hours... Why didn't they film a full set?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose2

After Hours... Why didn't they film a full set?

Post by romeorose2 »

I watched the After Hours videos again today... This video footage is the best representation of Randy Rhoads. And, Ozzy and him seemed to really be having a great time doing that small performance. The audio and video is such amazing quality for it's time.... I just don't understand how they could only play 4 songs and just stop, if you are already set up and filming 4 songs why not go ahead and do at least a 60 minute set? It is so hard to believe that those 4 songs are all they filmed that day. Does anyone think there's anything more that's never been seen that exists from that? I know people have already talked about the After Hours stuff hundreds of times before already, but still, if they didn't film more than just 4 songs that day then they were such idiots... Ozzy and Randy, the whole band were so on point in those 4 songs in every aspect, even RR's mistake didn't take away from it any. Just showed a more human, fun side. The audio really shows how Randy had a good tone.
Brian_D

Re: After Hours... Why didn't they film a full set?

Post by Brian_D »

My guess is that it was for a television program and was filmed to run in the time allotted. Same reason they don't film two hour episodes for a one hour show. Plus, it costs money and they didn't need more footage.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i remember somebody here saying they did thw set twice and both were taped..forgive me ahead of time if im wrong.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

It'd be awesome to see the alternate take of the songs then. Did this ever air live, and did Randy ever get the see it?
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

Somewhere here there is a post where someone had spoken with one of the cameramen from After Hours...seems like they may have recorded everything twice, but IIRC he said that after the editing process what we've seen is all that remains of the footage.

**Just found it...it's here- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9421&p=95405&hilit=cameraman#p95405
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thanks brian!thats what i was referring to..
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I believe it's the second Crowley solo where the camera doesn't show Randy at the start of the solo. Whichever one it was I remember years ago on YouTube seeing a clip of just that solo but it was the full solo with no Rudy.
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Yeah, that After Hours footage is priceless to me. I had seen Randy 4 times live and I always tell my wife that the After Hours footage is unfortunately, the only really high quality representation of Randy in a live setting.

When I saw him live, his tone was incredible, huge and warm sounding. I always hear "young fellers" slag Randy's tone, but they had never seen him perform live, just heard the compressed recordings in digital format.

It still amazes me that my other guitar heroes, Jimi Hendrix & Rory Gallagher have so much footage available from early in their careers, but Randy, there's not that much footage unfortunately. You would think that 10 years after Jimi's death, a talent like Randy would have been documented better on video. Shame his legacy doesn't have more footage to show the young'uns how great he was.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

leftyaxeman wrote:Yeah, that After Hours footage is priceless to me. I had seen Randy 4 times live and I always tell my wife that the After Hours footage is unfortunately, the only really high quality representation of Randy in a live setting.

When I saw him live, his tone was incredible, huge and warm sounding. I always hear "young fellers" slag Randy's tone, but they had never seen him perform live, just heard the compressed recordings in digital format.

It still amazes me that my other guitar heroes, Jimi Hendrix & Rory Gallagher have so much footage available from early in their careers, but Randy, there's not that much footage unfortunately. You would think that 10 years after Jimi's death, a talent like Randy would have been documented better on video. Shame his legacy doesn't have more footage to show the young'uns how great he was.

stuff exist.. but sharon..
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

fortress wrote:
leftyaxeman wrote:Yeah, that After Hours footage is priceless to me. I had seen Randy 4 times live and I always tell my wife that the After Hours footage is unfortunately, the only really high quality representation of Randy in a live setting.

stuff exist.. but sharon..
Yeah, I heard there was video of a show I attended 4-24-81 at the Capital Theatre in Passiac, Rudy mentioned it in his book.

I contacted someone associated with the Capital Theatre and had asked about it, they said it was unreleased and when I asked more questions they wouldn't respond. That show, would be a holy grail show for me!!! I'd love to see it again, I was 5th row.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

I was in talks with the owner of the captal theater and he did confirm that the footage did survive the fire, the only info I got out of his was that that the entire show was filmed from beging to end, there was one camera a few rows back on Randy's side of the stage and that the audio was Profesional soundboard ( south Hampton/ tribute] quality
I emailed him a twice more after that conversation and the only response I got was that he was not aloud to talk about the footage anymore due to legal reasons.

The interesting thing about this was that that last response was around the time of the box set release. Before that he was willing to tell me anything I wanted to know but after he doesn't want to talk about anything randy rhoads or ozzy osbourne
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

What I find hard to believe is why Ozzy or Sharon would hold on to any pro shot concerts with Randy, but release lesser quality bootlegs with the box set. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

TheMrAxeman wrote:What I find hard to believe is why Ozzy or Sharon would hold on to any pro shot concerts with Randy, but release lesser quality bootlegs with the box set. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Money!! The shitty footage they released in the box set probably cost them next to nothing and the footage Bill Shelley has of the capitol theater is probably off the wall expensive considering he holds the holy grail of footage. Just my opinion...
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

chilinvilin wrote:
TheMrAxeman wrote:What I find hard to believe is why Ozzy or Sharon would hold on to any pro shot concerts with Randy, but release lesser quality bootlegs with the box set. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Money!! The shitty footage they released in the box set probably cost them next to nothing and the footage Bill Shelley has of the capitol theater is probably off the wall expensive considering he holds the holy grail of footage. Just my opinion...
Wouldn't Ozzy have the rights to the footage anyway?
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

TheMrAxeman wrote:
chilinvilin wrote:
Wouldn't Ozzy have the rights to the footage anyway?
Most likely but Bill probably wants a ton of cash for safely storing it for over 30 years. LOL