Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Post by skezza »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:
skezza wrote:we had 'Approved by the Rhoads' Fans', right at the bottom. Simply put, neither I nor Ian ever wanted this to be an official site.
This is exactly what I like best about this place! From the very beginning Joe & Ian started this place for only one reason: having a nice place for fans to discuss things they wanted to know about RR. The fans are (& were) always NUMBER ONE here. However this wasn't always understood by celebrities trying to use this board for their own agenda. Especially in the early days when this board started this wasn't easy to achieve.... I'm glad we never gave in! 8)

& good to see this place getting back a little momentum recently! 8)
Yeah very much like the guys who come here and collect info then make their own site. With no kudos of where the info comes from. Then you have people like Rudy Sarzo who came here briefly to promote his book...the revolving door types in and out. Kelli Garni was another one... Some are cool for sharing info, photos etc. But others are just interested in promoting what they have for sale. If it wasn't for some people here this place would of went tits up a long time ago. Thanks to them this place is still happening.
Always be to be pragmatic I guess. Enjoy it while they're here, but don't expect them to hang around ;)
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

skezza wrote:
leftyaxeman wrote:Skeeza, I think you've done a great job with this site. Thanks.

I periodically check in. I wish RR's legacy was handled better. I was hoping that 34 year after his death that some pro shot video would surface(I was especially hoping for the Holy Grail footage from the Capital Theatre 4-24-81 for I was there), or as you mentioned some soundboard tapes. It's a shame that Randy's legacy isn't being handled as Jimi's.
I've had this discussion before and the general feeling at the time, was that Hendrix was/is simply more popular than Randy, therefore there is money to be made. However, while I believe there is some truth to that, I don't believe for one second it tells the whole story. Randy has a community of dedicated fans, but he also has a huge following away from UR, TK etc. He has a following on the Gibson forum, who would dip into their pockets and is widely recognized in guitar circles.

There is more to it than just the money situation for me. It's been handled appallingly, and that's all that needs to be said really.

Totally agree.

I do feel that a high quality product, such as the pro shot Capital Theatre show would generate some pretty good revenue. The die hard Randy community(such as myself) would come out of the woodwork for such a product. It would also turn a whole new generation of fans on to his great talent and reinvigorate interest in his legacy.

I also had contacted someone from the Capital Theatre and asked about the show, since they posted other artists that appeared there and was told it was "unreleased." When I pressed them for more info about that response they clammed up and wouldn't answer anymore questions. I'm still hoping that one day, before I die, I'll get to see that show again. I was 5th row for it, and it was memorable to say the least.

Again Skeeza, great job on this site, kudos Brother!
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

It's very much a cash based decision for the Osbournes. They don't dick about with sentimentality. Ozzy often speaks lovingly of Randy in interviews but when it comes down to stuff like footage and new material, it's all about weighing up the dollar.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

leftyaxeman wrote:I also had contacted someone from the Capital Theatre and asked about the show, since they posted other artists that appeared there and was told it was "unreleased." When I pressed them for more info about that response they clammed up and wouldn't answer anymore questions.
I really wonder if that footage still exists?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
leftyaxeman wrote:I also had contacted someone from the Capital Theatre and asked about the show, since they posted other artists that appeared there and was told it was "unreleased." When I pressed them for more info about that response they clammed up and wouldn't answer anymore questions.
I really wonder if that footage still exists?
And I really doubt it :(
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I have come to the conclusion that yes, all these shows probably still exist. I believe whats holding the release of any of them up is that the people that own them know what they have and dont want to just let it go for free. Sharon will not seemingly pay for anything when it comes to footage as she believes all of them were recorded illegally and the owners have no right to them. She is correct about that and its been stated many times that the venues needed written permission in order to record the band.

The time for the Osbournes to cash in on any of this was the 30 years after anniversary, nothing will get bigger than that as far as a sales pitch. By the time the 50th the comes around Sharon and maybe even Ozzy will be dead, doubt the latter though :)

I forget the guys name that shot the NM footage of OTM/CROWLEY that came with it. I am sure he is easily finable and have thoughts of tracking him down and asking how that whole situation went down with the Osbourne camp. Did he ask for anything? Was he just so kind and offered it over for free and they they offered him something as gratitude for not trying to cash in? Stuff like that i would want to ask that guy.

But really though, Bob offered the grail to Sharon and she offered what 5k or 15k I think it was? As far as music history goes thats worth 1000 times more than any Randy footage out there I feel.

I think all this footage is going to start coming out over the next 20 years or so as people start passing away. There kids or others will inherit this stuff and either A just upload it to the net or B, cash in on it for really cheap. I give props to all these people that can actually hang onto this stuff for so long.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Another opportunity would be when Ozzy retires, maybe a box set or something.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote:Another opportunity would be when Ozzy retires, maybe a box set or something.
Another box set will most likely happen, he has had a few already though.

If he ever actually does announce a final tour as a solo act it would be great if he brought back the Diary of a Madman tour set. He has had nothing like that since. The only other set I would say is as memorable is Pink Floyd's the wall...wall.
tihsyloh

Post by tihsyloh »

It's too bad they don't use the Capital Theater footage for an expanded release of the Tribute album this year. I mean if it still exists of course. I hope they do something for Tribute since it's the 30th anniversary this year. But I"m not gonna hold my breath.
"But they're not blind, Its just that they won't see."[color=#0040FF][/color]
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

tihsyloh wrote:It's too bad they don't use the Capital Theater footage for an expanded release of the Tribute album this year. I mean if it still exists of course. I hope they do something for Tribute since it's the 30th anniversary this year. But I"m not gonna hold my breath.
Yeah I doubt they do anything for Tribute considering they didn't do anything for Bark and Ultimate.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

orion_damage wrote:
tihsyloh wrote:It's too bad they don't use the Capital Theater footage for an expanded release of the Tribute album this year. I mean if it still exists of course. I hope they do something for Tribute since it's the 30th anniversary this year. But I"m not gonna hold my breath.
Yeah I doubt they do anything for Tribute considering they didn't do anything for Bark and Ultimate.
Didn't Ozzy take Ultimate out of his catalog?

I saw him during his Retirement Sucks Tour.

He should have stayed retired, imo.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Rhoads-Fan wrote:
orion_damage wrote:
Didn't Ozzy take Ultimate out of his catalog?

I saw him during his Retirement Sucks Tour.

He should have stayed retired, imo.
Are you meaning his set list? Not sure, they don't play Shot in the Dark anymore?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

There is almost no chance of any tribute being released. The time to do it was the 20th or 25th anniversary in my opinion.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

I would love to see Ozzy do a final show where they use the Diary stage set up, and only play all the songs from Blizzard & Diary, and have tommy on drums and rudy on bass, and have zakk shave and drop about 30 pounds and lose the whole biker look, get him back to his look and playing ability during no rest for the wicked/no more tears, that would be a awesome show. And if Zakks not available, then maybe Doug Aldrich.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

romeorose2 wrote:I would love to see Ozzy do a final show where they use the Diary stage set up, and only play all the songs from Blizzard & Diary, and have tommy on drums and rudy on bass, and have zakk shave and drop about 30 pounds and lose the whole biker look, get him back to his look and playing ability during no rest for the wicked/no more tears, that would be a awesome show. And if Zakks not available, then maybe Doug Aldrich.

I'd pay to see that.