What's the cleanest version of Chicago 82?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

What's the cleanest version of Chicago 82?

Post by orion_damage »

Was watching Over the Mountain from Chicago 82 on YouTube and that's really some great footage. The quality not so much but the actual footage itself is quite awesome. Just the fact that you see plenty of Randy in there.

Anyways, can someone point me to the cleanest version there is of Chicago 82? Does anyone know what happened to the master tape?

Edit: Looking for the cleanest visually
Last edited by orion_damage on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: What's the cleanest version of Chicago 82?

Post by Cryptic Night »

I don't think you'll find a cleaner version anywhere online right now. Tommy Aldridge might have a cleaner copy of it in his pile of tapes he has, but we haven't heard any of those.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Cryptic Night wrote:I don't think you'll find a cleaner version anywhere online right now. Tommy Aldridge might have a cleaner copy of it in his pile of tapes he has, but we haven't heard any of those.
Sorry, I'm meaning visually
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Oh shit, completely misread that. Thought you meant a bootleg. haha

At any rate, I doubt you'll find a cleaner version of that footage. Supposedly the person who filmed it has a better version, but we don't know who that is or if that's even true.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Never say never, i know many guys who have single one off's recorded direct from the sound board. Guys who worked on the various crews over the years can ask the sound guy to record the show, it's not a big request. Some tapes come out badly with a bad audio mix, top end and too bassy etc. I know a guy who has one from the first gig i went to back in 1979 The Scorpions recorded at a local venue. I've asked him many times to do a copy for me, but he wont share it. These are out there and it's just getting them to be shared to hear them. Southampton is a prime example, and Tommy Aldridge and Brad Gillis both had tapes handed to them from sound board quality tapes. I wonder if Bernie Torme was ever given similar ?.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I just wish there was a way to visually clean up the Chicago footage. That concert cleaned up, even with the tracking issues, would be quite awesome. I'm no expert video editor but I attempted to clean it up and I couldn't really do much with it.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Rumor going around for years is that it was purposesly made to look lesser quality by whomever released it. Not sure how that came about, but it is one rumor that has not faded over the years.
jasonmusicman1

Post by jasonmusicman1 »

orion_damage wrote:I just wish there was a way to visually clean up the Chicago footage. That concert cleaned up, even with the tracking issues, would be quite awesome. I'm no expert video editor but I attempted to clean it up and I couldn't really do much with it.
That's the issue Orion. It's a multi generation copy that is doing the rounds, back in the day when this would have been copied it would have been done video to video, every generation copy would see loss in colour, sharpness and picture quality. You don't get that when you copy a video in digital format.
I'm a video editor and you can't improve what you all ready have. You can do some colour correction and some sharpening but it doesn't look natural. We need a 1st generation copy or the original that way we could get something decent synced up.

You never know the original may show its head one day, some has it.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

Shockwave wrote:Rumor going around for years is that it was purposesly made to look lesser quality by whomever released it. Not sure how that came about, but it is one rumor that has not faded over the years.
It does seem really weird how the video is perfect looking for the most part except for those random glitches... it don't look normal to me, I mean why would all those glitches happen in the first place? The glitches just look fake, because most vhs tapes I've seen that were old have a few here and there but on this show it's like every few seconds, and they just don't look realistic compared to glitches I've seen in old worn out video before.

Someone here should compile all the facts we have about this Chicago video footage and put it all in a sticky.

Does anyone even know who filmed it in the first place? Who was the first person to upload it online? Why was it filmed? And why would they only film 23 minutes? It doesn't look like the battery or film ran out when you watch the footage, it looks like there is more, it just wasn't all shared publicly.

It looks like the camera must have been on a tripod because it's not shaky, which also makes me think whoever filmed it was pretty serious about getting good footage, and I don't think such a person would show up unprepared to shoot a full 2 hours and bring plenty of tapes, batteries and all they needed to do just that.

This video footage of Chicago was probably circulating before people had the internet in the 90s, it was probably being sold in the backs of the rock magazines where you used to always see ads with lists of bootleg/rare video/audio for sale or ads where you send away for a list or catalog of what they had to trade or sale. Surely someone must be able to remember where and who they got their first copies.

With some detective work, and maybe people on here starting an official pool of money as a reward for footage of Randy, the mystery of this footage could be solved hopefully leading to the master tapes being made public.

Sharon is probably sitting on a ton of RR video footage that she's probably never even told Ozzy about.

There was recently new footage found of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing at the Rome Inn in Austin TX uploaded to youtube a few months ago, several songs, that people never thought was gonna be released but it was known that they did exist.

And that was 1979 I think... and it's been 27 years since srv died, so I still think there's a good chance video of RR could surface.

I'm also thinking there has to be a lot more to that video where Randy says happy birthday, I bet that video has a show on it as well.