How is Ozzy sounding so good these days ?

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

How is Ozzy sounding so good these days ?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've noticed on a lot of the latest vid clips from Live Sabbath gigs Ozzy sounds incredibley good. What happened to the whaling shambles of a singer ?. Ok i might be mocking the guy, but are we missing something here ??. I've heard so many bands are now using auto syncing equipment live. So are we really getting the real deal or are we being fooled into thinking after all these years Ozzy has upped his game and can actually do a 90 minute gig which is flawless. Has anyone been to see him Live recently i'd like to hear your views and reviews on this subject.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How is Ozzy sounding so good these days ?

Post by skezza »

He sounded great when I heard him last time. Best I had ever heard him. That was back around December 2014 ish. I'm seeing him again in Feb.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Off to Leeds tomorrow for Sabbath, probably for the last time. Mainly for Iommi's crushing riffs rather than to see Ozzy dial in a performance reading off the autocue. AS much as I love Ozzy and will always have a soft spot for him, these days his stage presence is minimal, and although his voice does'nt crack as often as it did his singing is generally flat, and he doesnt push it. But on the night in the venue you don't really notice it, the atmosphere, the band, the volume, everything combined and it sounds pretty good, and fairly faithfull to the original versions so alls good.
Ozzy's sounding not too bad these days, nowhere near can he hit the high notes of old but generally he's doing ok, but I think that has a lot to do with him not moving about much onstage these days, saving his breath for his singing, basically he just hangs onto the mic stand rocking back 'n forth,and his screaching between songs has reduced, therefore when it comes to actually singing he can manage it for the most part, although he sings in a deeper register he gets away with it.
Having said all this I'm still looking forward to the gig, seeing Sabbath one last time before they throw in the towel.
First saw Sabbath back in January 1981, 36yrs ago, and on almost every tour since, so might be an emotional night
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Excellent concert in Leeds last night. The last time I saw Sabbath in Leeds was in 1982 on the Mob Rules Tour in the old Queens Hall, a converted bus shed. Last nights gig was in the new Leeds Arena, 13,000 state of the art auditorium, loved it, great venue.
The sound was amazing, the best quality I've heard at a concert in a while, and to hear Tony's crushing riffs with such clarity was fantastic, he was immense, in fact the whole band sounded brilliant, even Ozzy sounded good and strong. He might sing in a lower register these days but I hardly noticed it on the night, and his voice hardly cracked at all. The only songs he seemed to struggle with was After Forever and Dirty Women, the latter a tough one by anyones standards, but the rest of them he nailed. His stage movements are limited these days, no running about, freaking out or frog jumps, but its still good to see him out there giving it his all, he's never gonna recreate his '70s/early '80s prime but so what, who in their late '60s can?
Geezers pounding bass was high in the mix giving it a top heavy sound, brilliant. I still cant believe how good the overall sound was, totally pissed all over the last time I saw them at Download last year, mind you I was half pissed stood up to my knees in mud in a large field pissing it down with rain, not the greatest concert experience.
So glad we got to hear the full Under the Sun, probably my fave song on the night, that outro riff still sends shudders down my spine. And how can anyone not get goosebumps when they hear the riff to Into the Void, awesome. Hand of Doom sound great also. I noticed a few of the songs slowed down in tempo a bit, giving them a heavier sludgier feel, most noticeable on Snowblind.
Gotta mention Tommy Clufetos, wow, blew me away, dont get me wrong give me Bill anyday, but fook me, he was good.
Overall a really enjoyable gig, better than I was expecting, and if this is the last time I get to see Sabbath then I can't complain.
Wish I was going to Brum next weekend but nevermind, but if its the last time I see them then it was a great night to say goodbye to my fave band of all time.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Forgot to say, in pub before the Leeds gig talking to someone from the crew and they said Ozzy now wears ear monitors, something which he's avoided for so long, so he can actually hear what he sounds like.
I think if he used some sort of auto-tune or other voice enhancer he'd sound better than he does, 'cos although he sounds pretty good for most of the gig he still sounds flat as a fart on a couple of songs.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Aye its just a pity its took him all these years to realise that ear monitors do help...Better late then never.. I suppose he can put them in and sing along at his local karaoake.. Gaz who was the crew guy you spoke to in the pub did you catch his name ?.
Fozzy41
Madman

Re: How is Ozzy soundin it wasnt Graham Wrg so good these da

Post by Fozzy41 »

Dont know mate, it wasnt Graham Wright if thats what youre thinking, it was just some lighting guy, I should've got his name but didnt think.