WTB- Randy Rhoads polka dot V

Buying & Selling (Ebay or Not)

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Brian_D

WTB- Randy Rhoads polka dot V

Post by Brian_D »

Looking for a replica of Randy Rhoads' polka dot V. Only interested in black with white dots and with the harpoon headstock- not interested in the Jackson roundhorn version. Ideally, I'd prefer one with a Floyd, but I'll consider a vintage style trem. I figure it's a tall order, but I'll put it out there anyway.

I've seen the one going for $745 on eBay from "zoesandra" but I'm a little leery of it as I know zilch about them. I know decent guitars can be had at that price point though. Anyone familiar with those?

I have a perfect 100% rating on ebay, maintained for over 15 yrs, under the username "bdethero6es4".
rhoads56
Cool Member

Re: WTB- Randy Rhoads polka dot V

Post by rhoads56 »

I used to make the most accurate replicas back in the day. I had a bunch that sat unfinished for about 7 years after deciding not to do them any longer. We are finishing them off now. Two spares are left.

You can see my work here: www.ormsbyguitars.com

They are well outside the $745 USD price range though.
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

I've heard good stuff about your work, but a few guys told me you weren't doing them anymore so I didn't follow up on it. How much are one of the spares?
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

They will be $3900 each (Aussie dollars). Usually our customs start at $3,000-3,500 and go through to $12,000. Most are around the $5000 mark.
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

I'd love one...they look absolutely fantastic, but unfortunately it runs pretty well over my budget. :cry:
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Don't the GMW's run about $2700 with Floyd rose? 8 think that's what I was quoted about 3-4 years ago
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

Shockwave wrote:Don't the GMW's run about $2700 with Floyd rose? 8 think that's what I was quoted about 3-4 years ago

$2450, I believe... but that's without a case. With case, it would be $2650, so yeah... pretty much right at it. I think that's going to be what I ultimately go with. The search for one used has been pretty fruitless.
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

I don't know what you guys who've ordered the "zoesandra" ebay cheapy got, but what I got was royally SCREWED. I got the guitar in last week and it is an unmitigated piece of s#!t to put it mildly. I keep hearing everyone say "well, you get what you pay for" but the thing is... I DIDN'T. What I received was worth about $150-$200 at best. I've played $180 Squier Affinity Fender's that were MUCH higher quality. This thing is essentially unusable due to neck issues and the pot metal junk Floyd Rose knock-off.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Brian_D wrote:I don't know what you guys who've ordered the "zoesandra" ebay cheapy got, but what I got was royally SCREWED. I got the guitar in last week and it is an unmitigated piece of s#!t to put it mildly. I keep hearing everyone say "well, you get what you pay for" but the thing is... I DIDN'T. What I received was worth about $150-$200 at best. I've played $180 Squier Affinity Fender's that were MUCH higher quality. This thing is essentially unusable due to neck issues and the pot metal junk Floyd Rose knock-off.
Found a review on YT, seems this guy is satisfied for what he got for $800. I would never buy it because the shoulders (body to neck) are too wide compard to the original, I don't like that, and if they didn't even pay attention to that you can wonder what more differs from the original....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usAcNsyzSzM

Not sure about the quality/price here but this one looks much closer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjwtkHkyyU
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

Yeah... I've seen that review. I dunno what he got, but what I got is unusable junk. I didn't expect US Charvel or Jackson quality for the price, but I did expect an instrument I could actually play.

The RR380 in the second video you posted is the Fernandez replica from the late '80's. I've never seen one myself, but all the reviews I've seen of it seem to point to it being a great reproduction.